Frustrated, disappointed and yet hopeful!

pchimbolo

I keep coming back to the AXE cockpit because there is something I like about it (look, feel, complexity = most realistic Airbus). And every time I power up I pray that I will have a successful flight. However, every single flight -- no exception -- introduces some bug that makes me remember how much I paid for this and how "not ready" this plane ever was for release. (The autoflight issues are a mess! And the occasional, inconsistent CTD's are like playing craps in Vegas)

When I come back to the forums I find something about the bug(s) I'm dealing with. They are there... all of them. Some are confirmed by the developers, and some are supposedly environmental (although no other aircraft I own suffers from the same issues!). However, I think the developers created those environmental issues themselves and blaming it on the "other things". Again, no other aircraft I own suffers from the same issues!

Now... we haven't seen a real update in 5-weeks since the release of v1.04. The "hot" fixes are luke warm, at best.

Is it possible that Aerosoft CAN stabilize this product soon? Is Aerosoft committed to getting that done? Or, will AXE die the same death that the original AX did? If not, it will likely kill any hopes of them making a splash with any great, successful commercial jet.

HOW HOPEFUL AM I? I love my PMDG NGX!!! However... this is the first (and only!) aircraft that has actually gotten me out of the NGX cockpit since I bought it 18-months ago. And I keep trying to fly it, despite its issues. I hope we see some real progress soon. There is a great product in there. Somewhere.

No product can come out bug-free. That, and plus, almost everyone was complaining about the release date instead to let them finish the bugs.

By the way, the PMDG 737 had lots of bugs that were fixed over time, it's not perfect either.

I'm not sure how much experience do you have in developing, but it's sometimes really painful and frustrating for developers when they try their best but just can't fix it so fast you would expect. It's easy for us to sit here and complain!

I'm a regular customer. I paid for the AXE. I don't get paid by Aerosoft and I don't want to. This is what I have to say:

I fly the AXE on a stable system in v1.04 (plus hotfix 011). My system was stable before I installed the AXE and after that. I haven't had a single CTD flying the AXE. And I fly it a lot (50% of my flights, I guess).

Please give a thought to your computer: Was it stable or not before you installed the AXE?

And please give us all the details that could be important in solving a bug, a flaw or an issue. What exactly happens during your autoflight, for example.

Please ...

I can tell you some "bugs" are User related, we know the Airbus has Bugs, but we work every Day very very hard to solve those. It's not so easy as you think.

but User should stop to compare our Bus with NGX, the NGX is in a different class and price range, it was never our purpose to beat it.

As olli4740, it's been perfectly stable for me since v1 - never had a CTD with it.

What exactly makes it unflyable for you? The bugs (if they are even bugs) that remain don't affect me to the extent I can't fly it - I descend in selected that's all.

Are the v speeds too high? Doesn't stop me flying it.

Does it overbank in managed? Doesn't stop me flying it.

It it your joystick? Or frame rate? We know it needs reasonable frames for the fbw.

Only time I've ever had CTD's in FS it's usually been down to a scenery conflict or a rogue AI paint.

What specifically? Let's try and help you.

No matter which aircraft I used I used to have CTDs every 2 or 3 flights with FSX but since I moved to prepar3d I have not had one.In my opinion I believe CTDs are more an FSX issue than anything else.

Not sure which bugs you have but in my case my major issue was that on my laptop which has an average of 5 to 10 frame rates a second I was getting a number of stability issues. Some of it was caused by wind shifts and the known FSX bug but there were other times where this was not the case.

After trial and error I discovered that I was over taxing my system with too many addons using simconnect. As soon as I limited my addons to only the essentials such as weather and AI my issues with the airbus x extended were resolved.

So now I am happily flying at least 2 flights a day and my only problem is trying to land at ILS runways...... but that is the fault of the pilot not the aircraft

Roy

I'm not sure how much experience do you have in developing...

I am a programmer. I've been a programmer since 1984. I have written Windows apps, web apps, android apps and my own FSX plug-in using the simconnect API. Today I manage over a dozen web developers I know all about programmers an their "it's not my code" mantra. I probably have just as much programming experience as anyone on this forum.

I am a programmer. I've been a programmer since 1984. I have written Windows apps, web apps, android apps and my own FSX plug-in using the simconnect API. Today I manage over a dozen web developers I know all about programmers an their "it's not my code" mantra. I probably have just as much programming experience as anyone on this forum.

Well then you know the best how complicated it is.

Please give a thought to your computer: Was it stable or not before you installed the AXE?

My computer was stable before AXE, and still is with every other add-on aircraft (period!)... unless I'm flying the AXE.

RE: my issues -- they've been spelled out a number of times on this forum by others. So, Aerosoft has plenty of insight into them. I've seen some that are "not high priority", and those that are "being worked on" as I write this.

As I said, I am hopeful...

For me there are two kinds of failures or "bugs" the ones that disrupt the experience of flying and the ones that difficult it . I like the bugs that do not stop the flight. its gives more emotion . When will misoperate this or that?. When not respect the 250-10000? etc. etc.

On the other hand it would be nice to know how many of us would be willing to pay more money to get a first class produc . I do of course

I love AXE

User should stop to compare our Bus with NGX, the NGX is in a different class and price range, it was never our purpose to beat it.

If you re-read my post, I was not (am not) comparing it to the NGX. All I said was that the NGX was the only aircraft I really spend time flying because no other got me engaged into the sim experience... until this one. I know it's a different level product. But as I see it, if the "kinks" get worked out of the AXE... it has it's own place in the sim world that is far aheead of other developed aircraft.

If you re-read my post, I was not (am not) comparing it to the NGX. All I said was that the NGX was the only aircraft I really spend time flying because no other got me engaged into the sim experience... until this one. I know it's a different level product. But as I see it, if the "kinks" get worked out of the AXE... it has it's own place in the sim world that is far aheead of other developed aircraft.

+1:

I had grounded my "other" airbusses, too, but, with the AXE evolving (no pun intended), I'm back learning to "drive busses" again!

If no further improvements are forthcoming (and I'm sure they will) then I'll still be satisfied with my purchase. Once you know its foibles then it is possible to get a satisfactory flight every time. It's still the best Airbus by far.

pchimbolo, sorry to hear you are having problems.

I think I have flown about 35 flights with the AXE airbus and to date I can only think of one CTD that happened with the Version 1.3. Since 1.4 I have been quite trouble free and I mention this only because the CTD you mention are not universal. So there is room for hope for you!

As far as autoflight issues go, I have been noticing as of late just how good things are going and that older issues I used to have like DIR TO are working very well. What kind of problems are you having with autoflight? SID/STARS? Managed vs non managed flight? Specific airports or runways?

One of the things I did recently was to redo the Bojote FSX cfg file on my pc. This not only helped my frame rate ALOT but seemed to make the FSX experience smoother. Maybe you can try that if you haven't already. A total re-install of the AXE would also be a suggestion-again if you haven't already done so. It seems alot of people have stick/throttle hardware issues, maybe check your settings. Did you make any changes to your system-drivers, etc? Can you pinpoint any cause and effect?

Just to let you know, I still have issues with some of the unmentioned bugs you alluded to-I find the AXE VR speeds about 10 knots too high, managed climb over FL350 is about 300fpm and seems very LOW, lack of VNAV, etc. But these are issues that things I think will be tweaked sooner or later by the devs. But none of these cause CTD's or have me praying I complete a flight for a change. I know it doesn't help hearing this stuff when it is YOUR system that is crashing!

Good luck and don't quit trying to fix things-if others have managed to get the Bus to work you can too. The issue you have is probably something simple.

Cheers

Jswier

pchimbolo, sorry to hear you are having problems.

I think I have flown about 35 flights with the AXE airbus and to date I can only think of one CTD that happened with the Version 1.3. Since 1.4 I have been quite trouble free and I mention this only because the CTD you mention are not universal. So there is room for hope for you!

Like Mathijs said many times, there are thousands of different PC configurations and if there's no CTD on one, there is absolutely no chance there won't be a CTD on the other one.

One of the things I did recently was to redo the Bojote FSX cfg file on my pc. This not only helped my frame rate ALOT but seemed to make the FSX experience smoother.

Well isn't it like 100% the same thing? More frame rate = Smoother experience.

Like Mathijs said many times, there are thousands of different PC configurations and if there's no CTD on one, there is absolutely no chance there won't be a CTD on the other one.

Well isn't it like 100% the same thing? More frame rate = Smoother experience.

Adrijan, not sure of your point on this, merely offering hope to someone who was frustrated. It sounded like he needed to know others use the airplane successfully.

Is your second response really important to help this guy out with his problem? Define smooother as you like, its OK by me.

Cheers......Jswier

My computer was stable before AXE, and still is with every other add-on aircraft (period!)... unless I'm flying the AXE.

RE: my issues -- they've been spelled out a number of times on this forum by others. So, Aerosoft has plenty of insight into them. I've seen some that are "not high priority", and those that are "being worked on" as I write this.

As I said, I am hopeful...

Great post pchimbolo, I think that many of us feel the same way.

I have zero problems with any other add-on, and I have the Maddog from LSH ! I've been using Airbus sims since the original PSS version back for FS2002 so I'm familiar with Airbus operations, but successfully completing a flight with AXE is still a rare occurence.

Like you I'm hopeful that one day the AXE will become what we hope it can be.

Well since this very civilized thread pops up, I will pop in my thoughts.

As you may or may not know, the Airbus X for the first version consisted of 4 people. The Modeler, Flight Dynamics modeler and 2 XML Coder. It was the very first project that aerosoft pops into the airliner market with our in house developed products. It was meant to be super lite airbus, in fact, a FMC was not even planned originally in the first Airbus !

Then came the start of planing the AXE. With the experience gained from that first product, it was decided that the whole FBW, AP systems had to be created from the ground up. The development team was expanded by another 4 people with many more in house advisers and testers. Things like ECAM, Electrical System were recycled and improved on. However, the most challenging part is the FMGS and that's where most of the bugs are.

The LNAV code in the FMGS had to be created from the ground up, with ZERO experience from either aviation or any manuals of any sort. Customers keep comparing us to well experienced coders, whether is it PMDG or etc. Matter of fact is we have to reverse engineer whatever logic is in the FMGS, whether is it to create a DME ARC curve or to create an overfly curve etc and that is with zero experience. Our competitors have the advantage of recycling old code or either being experienced enough in creating such complex calculations, we dont.

Now, what I am saying here is not to write excuses for the bugs that we have. But, what I am saying is that with zero experience, bugs take a longer time to sort out. So, please be patient with us and look forward to the next update. At the same time, this is a medium priced product, I do think that our product exceeds medium complexity in certain areas and fall short of it at certain areas, but the fact is that we have our time vs value limitation, and that means we cant include certain features even if we like too, as the time spent on that feature may not be worth it.

I'm sorry for repeating myself:

- I've completed every flight with the AXE so far. No CTDs for me.

- It's a great product development-wise (not necessarily release policy-/advertising-wise).

- With the upcoming v1.05 it's hard for me to think of a feature in the "evolved airbusses series" which I could miss from the AXE (except, maybe, for the VOR-autotuning and visual RAs on the PFD, but that are rather minor omittances)

- The AXE is great value for money already, regarding system depth in some areas, including spoken checklists, closed-looped to the AXE code.

Thanks for developing, beta-testing and doing support of the AXE the way you all have been doing. (You might review the way you're advertising, Mathijs, though ...)

Firstly, there's no point in mentioning CTD's where no error report has been attached.

Secondly,a lot of these issues are solved,by updating the VS2008 dependicies,and ensuring all the vsruntimes are kept to the latest versions.

I recently had an issue where after installing the AXE,that some other addons would not load. It turned out that a simple download of

the 32 and 64bit VS2008 redists solved the issue.

Joshua, many thanks for taking the time to explain the development process. One of the reasons that I persevere with AXE is the attitude of the development team, which is absolutely outstanding. I recently reported an issue with the checklists at high altitude airports and Hanse very quickly got in touch to ask for more details. That problem has now been resolved and will be available in the next release.

I would guess that those of us who do have problems have faith that you and the team will get to the bottom of the issues and that AXE will fulfil it's potential.

I keep coming back to the AXE cockpit because there is something I like about it (look, feel, complexity = most realistic Airbus). And every time I power up I pray that I will have a successful flight. However, every single flight -- no exception -- introduces some bug that makes me remember how much I paid for this and how "not ready" this plane ever was for release. (The autoflight issues are a mess! And the occasional, inconsistent CTD's are like playing craps in Vegas)

When I come back to the forums I find something about the bug(s) I'm dealing with. They are there... all of them. Some are confirmed by the developers, and some are supposedly environmental (although no other aircraft I own suffers from the same issues!). However, I think the developers created those environmental issues themselves and blaming it on the "other things". Again, no other aircraft I own suffers from the same issues!

Now... we haven't seen a real update in 5-weeks since the release of v1.04. The "hot" fixes are luke warm, at best.

Is it possible that Aerosoft CAN stabilize this product soon? Is Aerosoft committed to getting that done? Or, will AXE die the same death that the original AX did? If not, it will likely kill any hopes of them making a splash with any great, successful commercial jet.

HOW HOPEFUL AM I? I love my PMDG NGX!!! However... this is the first (and only!) aircraft that has actually gotten me out of the NGX cockpit since I bought it 18-months ago. And I keep trying to fly it, despite its issues. I hope we see some real progress soon. There is a great product in there. Somewhere.

Could not agree with this any more. My AXE suffers from various bugs, like you said, and when i sought assistance, was promptly told to buy better hardware. Never, no matter the complexity, have i experienced an aircraft that performs the way the AXE does....

The AXE c a n put some load onto your CPU, but that's still neither a bug nor a flaw: It's still a matter of what burden you put onto your system as a whole:

Imagine some Australian regional scenery with two(!) highly detailed add-on airports sitting next to each other (YMML and YMEN, for example). Imagine you set all those sliders to 'MAX' just to have the best visual experience possible. The results will be a frame rate as low as it can be, plus, probably, a OOM on top of that after a few minutes into the scenario.

Or imagine a hidden flaw in your system, which will only show up, when you really put your system to the test: I once installed an add-on aircraft just to play around with it on my first flight (heavy airport scenery, time set to dusk/dawn), opening and closing panel windows a lot plus switching views from 2d-cockpit to VC to external views. Finally the UIAutomationcore.dll of my OS (Win7 64bit) would "surrender". Of course, I blamed the developer of that aircraft, just to be told by them, that I need an additional dll to fix a bug in interaction between my OS and the FSX.

Please do yourself a favour and cater for an environment for your AXE to fly within. The AXE is worth setting sliders back further to the left hand side. It's worth putting a HIGHMEMFIX=1 into your fsx.cfg. It's worth the extra UIAutomationcore.dll (Vista 32bit) in the root folder of your FSX installation ...

Hello,

I decided to add my 2 cents, because the this topic mirrors my feelings. I'm currently a bit frustrated but extremely hopeful. Here's my side of the story:

When AXE was first released, I took it for a spin around my local airport. The FBW felt really good and this got me extremely excited. The I decided to do the tutorial flight. This is when things started to go a bit "south". I had the following problems when I followed the manual to the letter (I know that some of these have been fixed, but I stopped testing after 1.03 release):

- Checklists not activating because the front door was not in "correct" position

- Checklists got stuck after push back

- Autopilot didn't maintain level cruise flight (wild pitch oscillation up and down)

- TOD point kept disappearing (now you see it, now you don't)

- Unable to set correct barometer value on arrival (copilot get overriding my values)

- Localizer capture send my 180 in the wrong direction (close to the airport, less than 20 degree intercept angle and current course not close to 360)

These were from the tutorial flight. On my own test flights I discovered these:

- V-speeds too high

- FLEX temp input ignored. FMS shows the correct input value, but on takeoff, default flex temp is shown on the PFD

Like I mentioned some of these might already have been corrected, but I don't know. My "frustration" came from the fact that these bugs could be found by just flying the tutorial flight. I didn't have enough confidence to use AXE in my "normal" flying using AirHauler.

Why am I hopeful?

1) I haven't had any CTDs with AXE

2) FBW felt so great that I really want to fly this bird!

Yesterday, I had 20min of free time so, I installed 1.04 (and latest hot fix) to test how the takeoff performance of 1.04. From what I "know" and have seen in real world, I think it is very close to the real thing (didn't have time to do the tutorial flight again). When these little things are polished out, I will be a very happy flier!

EDIT: Added TOD marker "flickering"

Me again:

@ Jarkko: Most of the issues you mentioned first I can't confirm in v1.04 (that's where I started with the AXE - v1.04 plus hotfix 011).

Still I get your frustration with the tutorial flight bugs persistent up 'til v1.03. I like this piece of software development, yet I have to question the advertising and release policy of Aerosoft.

Just because I'm curious: Why had you preserved your frustration longer than necessary and didn't install v1.04 (plus the hotfix) any earlier?

Archived