Approach speeds

Nixon

Hi

I have noticed on shorter flights i.e. lower GW that in managed mode there is around a 24kts difference between a VAAP speed of 114kts and the actual managed speed of 138kts. I had selected full flaps.The amber warning line above the bricks came up to approx 136 kts which is well above the VAAP speed. I have noticed this on a couple of flights and tonight my

ZFW= 54,556 kgs

Fuel on board during finals= 5,400 kgs

All up weight therefore = 59,956 kgs

which gave the VAAP speed mentioned above.

Whilst on the subject of landing I have noticed if I select config 3 in the approach page and attempt to land at config 3 I get a too low flaps audible warning.

Am I mistaken in thinking that VAAP speed is the approach speed for the flaps set in the approach phase? and also am I wrong to attempt a config 3 landing?

Thanks ans regards

Nixon

• Verified Developer

I've also noticed a discrepancy between what the performance page on the MCDU says the approach speed is and what the aircraft is selecting and flying in managed mode, the latter being about ten knots higher. Given the pitch on approach, I would say what the aircraft is doing is correct. What's going on with the difference between the two?

I experience the same thing as Nixon and Michael2 on every flight. The actual speed being flown on approach with full flaps (never tried a flaps 3 landing) is around 20 knots higher than the MCDU VAPP value. Going by the approach attitude, the actual speed seems to be correct. I can't remember any exact figures, but the plane is never overweight for any phase of flight. Sadly, the same cannot be said of it's pilot.

Hi guys,

If you can, take a screenshot that has your MCDU on the APPR page showing the Vapp speed, your PFD showing the speed managed is holding, and the speed the sim is saying you are at (shift + z 3 times will bring this up in red text at the top right of your screen). You can do this all in one screenshot using the 2D MCDU. Just to verify what you are seeing so we can try and reproduce it.

@bumblebee- know what you mean there... :lol:

...but the plane is never overweight for any phase of flight. Sadly, the same cannot be said of it's pilot.

thats the reason why i only fill the cargo in the After Cargo compartenent :)

I have noticed that sometimes the ZFW on the MCDU perf page is not the same as the actual ZFW on the Aircraft tab within FSX itself - particularly after using the load editor. Changing the ZFW to the "actual" then gives a more realistic Vapp - don't know whether that is a factor here but orth checking.

Rob

I have noticed that sometimes the ZFW on the MCDU perf page is not the same as the actual ZFW on the Aircraft tab within FSX itself - particularly after using the load editor. Changing the ZFW to the "actual" then gives a more realistic Vapp - don't know whether that is a factor here but orth checking.

Rob

Hello Rob,

this is a well known bug, and will be fixed with an update.

Rob, thanks for the suggestion. Indeed, for me at least, it was the ZFW. I never noticed that it didn't match the loader. I have now done three flights with the correct ZFW entered manually, and the Vapp agreed with the displays on them all.

Rob, thanks for the suggestion. Indeed, for me at least, it was the ZFW. I never noticed that it didn't match the loader. I have now done three flights with the correct ZFW entered manually, and the Vapp agreed with the displays on them all.

Where do you set it manually? In the FSX menu?

And is the loader fixed in the 1.30 release?

Where do you set it manually? In the FSX menu?

And is the loader fixed in the 1.30 release?

You set your ZFW in the INIT A page when you set up your MCDU for your flight, and enter in your block fuel.

You set your ZFW in the INIT A page when you set up your MCDU for your flight, and enter in your block fuel.

Ah okay, I didn't even realize this could be set automatically.

Ah okay, I didn't even realize this could be set automatically.

Indeed, by default it currently sets automatically, but currently is mistaken when it does so. So, easy solution, it is customizable by you to correct it, and that will fix any v-speed issues and give you much more accurate numbers.

Archived