New SOAR Gliderport Created

Guest Don Hamilton

Guest Don Hamilton

Paul-Roger Torti has created a wonderful SOAR Paradise Switzerland in the mountains above Sion. It is his hope that SOAR will develop and use this site for all its flight operations in the alps of Switzerland. You can vet start or winch off the airstrip (actually you can even just roll off the end of the airstrip down the mountainside and gain immediate flying speed), and dive down to the start gate at Sion for the beginning of the Tour de Suisse, or any other event starting from Sion.

SOAR Paradise Switzerland is located at Croix-de-Coeur a very small mountain airstrip above Sion. It is 6.8 miles to the S.W. at an elevation of 6,800 ft. Final approach requires a heading of 195 degrees into the mountainside, with a prevailing wind at 270 degrees, a severe crosswind. This airstrip requires total life and death commitment. No go around, no second chance. Try this in a glider with no spoilers.

This SOAR Gliderport is a work in progress, and much work needs to be done. We need a club house, sleeping quarters, glider tie downs, and all the niceties that make a first rate SOAR gliderport.

This flight operation, and the TDS Diploma course will soon be flyable in FS2004.

Thank you Paul-Roger for another great addition to the virtual soaring world.

Cheers, smile.gif

Guest Don Hamilton

Harry,

Just heard from Paul-Roger. His web site is down temporarily. We are uploading the necessary files for the TDS, and Swiss Paradise pages directly to the SOAR site.

Don

Guest Don Hamilton

Dave,

The SOAR Paradise Switzerland package do have lift .bgls for the area around Croix-de-Coeur, and are meant to compliment CHSOAR, and CHTHERM.

Don

I should have said, the reason I asked was Im about to fly some the the TDS diploma and didn't want to cheat by having lift installed that should not be there.

I assume the wind should be set for the TDS diploma (I probably missed that somewhere).

Dave

Guest Don Hamilton

David,

Well, I didn't catch that. Wind settiongs for SOAR Paradise Switzerland are 272 degrees at 16 knts. TDS wind settings are 270 degrees at 12 knts. Well, what the heck. A four knot difference. In real life it would be more of a difference than that from day to day. This is a tour , not a race or a contest. Flight times mean nothing. Main objective is to have a good time. I am not going to loose any sleep over 4 knots. A seventy four knot difference would be another matter however. So don't abuse things LOL If you feel really picky, edit the wind to 12 knots. It is hoped that all pilots will choose Croix-de-Coeur as their launch point. and as their home base.

Cheers, thumbsup.gif

Don

Excellent! Now all we need is wave, thermals, etc to link Switzerland with Norby's alps! Then we can work on Austria, Italy, and then up the German ridges, and across the Czech ridges smile.gif

And then.......

*starts dreaming* biggrin.gif

Thanks Don,

I flew some of it last night. I started with one of the switzerland paradise flights and realized that there was no wind set until I was almost on the deck at Sion biggrin.gif .

At least I had a good chalenging flight (with 8kts of wind).

Thanks,

Dave.

Guest Don Hamilton

Dave,

If you select "Croix-de-Coeur vet" or "Croix-de-Coeur winch" launch it opens you up at the airstrip in a no wind situation, and you have to set it. If you select "SOAR Swiss Paradise", you have wind at 16 knts. I should have mentioned that . Sorry. How do the files work in FS9?

Cheers, biggrin.gif

Don

Guest Don Hamilton

David,

Could you adjust the 1000 Km Certificate .bgls to work properly in FS9? I am not sure if there ridge lift in them or if they are all thermals. Is this easy for you to do. or is this a difficult task? This would allow flights way into Austria from Croix-de-Coeur in FS9.

And yes, we need link Croix-de-Coeur with Norby's French Alps scenery.

Cheers,

Don thumbsup.gif

Don, my bgls for the Mont Blanc already cover up to a few km before Sion. For FS2k2 and FS2k4.

Thermals are still positionned with the Automatic Thermiek feature, but provide enough height to join Sion or Aosta without problem in a Libelle.

And when it's late you still can benefit from the ridges on West side of the Mont Blanc up to a sufficient height to gently have a long final glide to Sion.

From there to the South, it's all covered down to the Coast with thermals and ridges. So next time you take off from Sion, have a try to South West and put a swimsuit and a towel in your glider. cool.gif

The Mont Blanc still needs some adjustments to reach the top and it is a huge range to cover. But in some future, even lost there, you'll be able to bounce on secondary ridges.

When I'll have time, I'll try a Fayence - Sion and return on a Nor'west windy day, or why not a Sisteron to Matterhorn and return ... I'll keep records and screeshots on my way. wink.gif

Well, once again, I simply don't understand the installation. There are SEVERAL folders in the Swiss Paradise folder. Do each and every one need to be made active? Are some of them optional? Where do the landclass files or Ground 2K2 files go? Do they even get used in 2K4??

We've got to be much more clear about installation in our readme's...this was why I originally had problems with the original SOAR Paradise (2K2 version). As I understand it, 2K2 landclass files don't work in 2K4.

Has anyone tried installing SOAR Ranch in 2K4?? What about Paul-Roger's improvements?

Guys, I've got to admit that I'm really lost with the 2K2/2k4 differences, and having it all in one folder, saying "make this folder active in the scenery library" doesn't address anything above. If I'm confused, how do ya think newbies are going to cope? chairfall.gif Yes, I can install the SOAR-Swiss (the airfield), BUT...

I'm really going to need some better explanations about this new scenery, and a re-explanation of 2K2/4 compatibility relative to landclass etc before I can really move forward here.

So there ya have it, folks...your humble director is completely stumped. I constantly wonder why I am the one to get so many email questions, when several of you here on the forums are way ahead of me as far as 2K4 is concerned. Until Max's AstirCS, I flew nothing but powered a/c in 2k4. I'm way behind the curve on soaring in 2K4...a little enlightenment please wink.gif

Me too. At the moment I have 2k2 on one machine and fs9 on my laptop. I seem to have files everywhere that I dont know where to put. Perhaps a good solution might be for us to compile a list of what is available for 2k2, what is available for fs9 and what works (and how) in both.

Thinking about it, we know what is available for 2k2 but what is needed is a list of which of those files works in fs9 and how to install them. Then a list of what is just available for fs9. For example, last night I discovered that LAGO has put in an update for most of their mesh's so that they will work in fs9. You dont have to purchase it if you have the same mesh for 2k2...just use the same registration key (you did remember to save them didnt you?).

Another example: while I can get the Astir, ASW28 and some of the other AC to work just fine in fs9 all of Max's cambridge instruments only come up with the fs98 version. Im sure it is because I have an old file somewhere that defaults to that version but I'll be damned if I can find where the problems is.

I'm not whinning here for special help, there just doesnt seem to be a resource to go to for information. The excellent files in the SOAR Library solved most of the problems for 2k2. Would it be possible to begin to develop an fs9 section ?

Harry

Guest Karen Hamilton

Well, once again, I simply don't understand the installation. There are SEVERAL folders in the Swiss Paradise folder. Do each and every one need to be made active? Are some of them optional? Where do the landclass files or Ground 2K2 files go? Do they even get used in 2K4??

Yes, each folder within Swiss Paradise that has a "scenery" sub folder NEEDS to be activated in the scenery library. They will then work in 2K2! Don does NOT have FS9 installed, so he has ONLY used them in 2K2! Paul-Roger would be the one to ask if any are optional. The landclass are included in the Swiss Paradise folder and must also be activated.

I made the zip from the installed folder on Don's 2K2 and has the latest files before Paul-Roger's computer crash. This was the simplest way as Paul-Roger had sent corrected files, test files, etc. and we could not remember which was which, so I just made a new zip for Swiss Paradise and included a short readme and the original readme from Paul-Roger. I thought it would be simple just to extract the zip to the addon scenery folder intact, then activate each folder that has a "scenery" subfolder.

Sorry we cannot be of any help with this in FS9. confused_smile.gif

Guest Don Hamilton

Norby,

That is great. I have an idea. I would like to see the creation of a "Tour de France" for FS2K2/FSK2k4; a 1500 km - 2000 km multi step challenge like the Tour de Suisse. It would be nice if the launch point could be Croix-de-Coeur (SOAR Paradise Switzerland). The start gate could be Sion or some place in France near the Swiss boarder. Please let me know how you feel about such a project, and if you would be interested in helping to create it.

We would create a web page for it just like we did for the Tour de Suisse.

Cheers smile.gif

Don

Hi Don,

It is easy to do, I just point the program at the file and it does it all, one click and about 2 seconds. Ill power up my other computer and have a look. (Paul-Roger has kindly given permision for his files to be converted).

Dave.

Dave,

What program is this? There's so many good flights and bgls from 2K2...like my Nevada scenery of course cool.gif that I'd love to be able to convert and add to what will be the new 2k4 scenery/courses pages.

You probably mentioned it before, but I couldn't find a reference. If it's something that you made, I'd sure like to add it to the utilities page so that anyone can make 2K2 bgls work in 2K4.

Don,

Ive converted the switerland paradise, top-1000 and warner springs (with permision of Orion Kingman), they are at;

http://homepages.picknowl.com.au/dsg/ch_paradise.zip

http://homepages.picknowl.com.au/dsg/top_1000.zip

http://homepages.picknowl.com.au/dsg/ws.zip

The files only containg bgl's with wind dependent lift in, the rest should work from the origional release.

I have not tried any of these (it is time for sleep here). happy.gif

Chris,

I was trying to avoid releasing the program as it allows the factor to be modified which could be used to cheat. I am happy to convert any bgl's though.

Dave

I would like to see the creation of a "Tour de France" for FS2K2/FSK2k4

Don,

I think a Tour de France would be a bit boaring as most of it would be on thermals only.

But we can think about something on the French/Swiss Alps.

We already have the FFVVV base available for a southern landing which is an excellent starting point either, or Sisteron also very well located.

I'll come back with some proposals.

Norby