New SOAR Gliderport Created

Guest Don Hamilton

I have almost stopped using fs2k4, I prefer the feel of the aircraft that are available for fs2k2 and am using that to fly (Don, to answer your question that I missed, I flew using fs2k2 not fs2k4).

Do the fs2k2 aircrraft work properly in fs2k4? I had assumed that they didn't, or at least that the air files were not correct (from reading some other threads), maybe I missed something. If I can fly an aircraft with a decent air file for fs2k4 I might start using it again.

Dave.

The problem with 2K2 a/c is that Fs now interprets the origin point of the model differently. The result is a very nose heavy a/c in 2K4...some can be trimmed to fly, other can not. Either way, without airfile changes the planes will usually fly quite nose-high of where they should be on the horizon.

Kris or Max could certainly explain it better. mellow.gif

Guest Don Hamilton

Kris, David, or somebody,

I was wondering if someone could try out the TDS, 1000 Km Certificate Course, and SOAR Paradise Switzerland ( see if the airstrip at Croix-de-Coeur shows properly) in FS2004 before I bill these challenges, and scenery as FS9 compatable.

Thanks, smile.gif

Don

Hi Don,

Not much of a test but I just tried the switzerland paradise, the airstrip was there OK, the landclasses did not seem to be working (unless I have something different in fs2k2). I also only got white squares for the objects that hang over sion airport.

Dave

Guest Don Hamilton

Dave,

Are those white squares the thermal clouds east of the Sion airport? Do all of the thermal clouds appear as white squares in FS2k4?

I don't believe the land class works in FS2K4.

Don sad.gif

Hi Don. I have also experienced the "white squares" near Sion, and the one's I see are in fact the thermals. The funny thing is, they are not always like that. Sometimes they are clouds.. sometimes clouds that turn into white squares, and sometimes white squares that turn into clouds. (in FS9)

The small ones in the sky are the hot air balloons that Paul-Roger originally used to mark a few blue thermals...since the texture/macro doesn't exist, a square is what is displayed.

Yes, the white square/cloud morphing is a drag...even the hint to set framerate to unlimited doesn't seem to entirely solve the problem. Oh well.

Any recomendations as to what aircraft work ok in fs2k4?

All of Wolfgang Piper's models have been updated for fs9, although the polars generally are even more low-speed biased than the 2k2 versions. Other than that I believe there is only Max's Astir.

Is there a quick hack I can do to the air file to make an ac usable?

First, we should define usable. I've seen some people reporting that various planes "fly fine" in fs9 when I know otherwise. It's a matter of perspective. If your primary interest is to look at the plane and see it cruising around in the new scenery, then almost all of the 2k2 gliders will work. If your question is, "is there a quick hack to make an aircraft fly correctly" then unfortunately the answer is no. I've seen some simple formulas for converting posted on other forums but none of them are worth the disk space they occupy.

Here's a question for everyone: I've made a flight-dynamics model for Peter Franke's ASW-28 which basically "converts" it for fs9. I've made very few other enhancements. After discussing it with beta-testers, I decided to hold off and build a "good" flight model for the re-release. But lately I've become completely swamped at work and have had no time to devote to working on filght models. Since we still have only those few planes to fly in fs9, should I release the "converted" '28 flight-model as it is?

Kris

Guest Don Hamilton

Kris,

If the airfile is flyable and does not have any objectionable characteristics, I would vote to release it. You can always update at a later time.

Don thumbsup.gif

My opinion as well, to keep pilots satisfied and show there IS progress, hardly visible yet real.

it will also release some pressure on you Kris...

Seems unanimous here...

Just package it up as an update 'patch' (no need to include the entire a/c) and send it to me when you get a chance, Kris. I'm starting the updates to the aircraft pages now...should have most of it done sometime next week. No rush though...anything can be added quickly after I get done with the formating etc.

hello friends,

I am not frequently on SOAR site (very occupied with other things (PC-crash and and and), so I am late to

answer the post for 1000 Km.

The whole part in Austria is made with ridge-soaring (dynamics), exception arround Vienna, where are spare or no hills.

I'm sorry, this dynamics dont work on FS9, Billy the sad men has changed too many things in FS9 and has destroyd many many hours of work. thumbsdown.gif

But Davis George has developped programs, which disassemble, modifies the scasm-files and recompiles them to make dynamic work in FS9.

I ask them now if he can convert the files for the 1000Km.

He has to convert CHSOAR-files (for the swiss-part) and then the bgl's for Austria.

After this we could upload the modified bgl's for FS9 to SOAR-site.

Swiss Paradise:

You need CHSOAR files or / and CHTHERM + the TDS-steps bgl's to fly the TDS.

The landing on Croix-de-Coeur is very, very hard, if you are to low, then go to the ridge on left hand (if you face the landing-strip), there I have added a dynamics to regain altidude for an other try to land. This dynamics is in the Swiss-Soar-Paradise map, included with the airstrip.

Wind allways moderated from the 270.

All steps for TDS, and the 1000Km needs wind moderate from 270°, and where are no or spare hills, you can activate CHTHERM too, but in the alps there are too many lifts if you set CHTHERM and CHSOAR actif.

Maybe a day I will have more courage to remake a lot of work I loost stupdily on a crash.

Greatings from Switzerland

paul-roger

hello all,

The Austria part of the 1000 Km are exclusively ridge lifts (with exception arround the flat country near Vienna.

Dave has converted this BGL's for FS9 too.

Big thanks to Dave, he saved me a lot of work. thumbsup.gif

Greatings

paul-roger

Its me too,

Has anyone the airtstrip at Croix de Coeur in FS9.

I have them only on FS2k2.

If no-one has them, then I go to recreatem them.

please answer with e-mail to me, I am not every day at SOAR-site.

paul-roger