Thrust levers A330

Moving thrust levers from CL gate within the A/THR area in cruise and AP on, starts to idle the aircraft slowing down and it shouldnt. If moving the thrust levers it should only change to idle if set to 0. Please fix cause this Is a bug?

5 hours ago, airbusA333 said:

Moving thrust levers from CL gate within the A/THR area in cruise and AP on, starts to idle the aircraft slowing down and it shouldnt. If moving the thrust levers it should only change to idle if set to 0. Please fix cause this Is a bug?

The Autopilot doesn't have anything to do with the Auto Thrust.  Also, the normal position for using A/THR is the Climb Detent, so you shouldn't be moving the lever out of the Climb Detent.  No bug is present.

Thats correct- it has not anything with autopilot to do. But moving the thrustlevers in A/THR area shouldnt idle the thrust until you reach the 0 detent or disengage the autothrust. Agree?

20 minutes ago, airbusA333 said:

Thats correct- it has not anything with autopilot to do. But moving the thrustlevers in A/THR area shouldnt idle the thrust until you reach the 0 detent or disengage the autothrust. Agree?

I'm not sure what you are saying, but let me ask you this.  Are you using a hardware thrust lever or keys on the keyboard to control the thrust lever position?

8 hours ago, airbusA333 said:

Hi,

Would it be possible for you to send a video of what is happening?

Regards,

Markus

Please login to display this image.

But mine disconnets the A/THR when setting the thrust levers to current thrust setting by adjusting the levers until the N1 (EPR) TLA blu circle is adjacent to the ctual N1/EPR WITHOUT pressing the instinctive disconnect pushbutton (on the levers). Is this still correct?

If you move the thrust levers to IDLE it will disconnect the AT (and remember its not an autothrottle like you have in Boeings its a FADEC system), until you enter a small reigion above the stall speed at with point TOGA lock should kick in, if you put the levers into the climb detent or above while it shouldnt idle, it will not be controlled by the systems. It should not disconnect the AT if you move anywhere between the CLB detent and IDLE, but it should give you and EICAS warning with the steps to take.

One possible cause of this issue is incorrect or bad data entered into the INIT B page. Have you checked that all required fuel and weight values were entered prior to the flight?

That document is from 2005.  The updated version states:

Autothrust OFF
The recommended method of disconnecting the A/THR is to match the thrust
levers to the actual thrust value (use the TLA “donuts”) then press either red
instinctive disconnect push button on the thrust levers. The A/THR may also be
disconnected by retarding both thrust levers fully to the idle thrust setting.

Autothrottle Use
Use of A/THR is recommended during the entire flight. It may be used in most
failures cases, including:
• Engine failure
• Engine-out autoland, and
• Abnormal configurations.
Airbus recommends the use of manual thrust when the autotrim function is lost.
The aim of this recommendation is to avoid large thrust changes.

MANUAL THRUST CONTROL
With auto thrust deactivated, thrust control between idle and maximum take off or go around thrust is
entirely conventional.
Thrust lever angle determines the thrust demanded.
The rating limit selected by the pilot and the actual engine limit will appear on the engine instrument
display.

With the thrust lever at less than the CL position on the quadrant, CL will be continuously displayed. If
one of both thrust levers are above CL, MCT/FLEX will be displayed. If one or both thrust levers are
above the MCT detent, TO GA will be displayed.
With the thrust lever(s) positioned in a detent the engine (s) will be controlled to that limiting parameter.

Instinctive Disconnection Procedure
– Set the thrust levers to the current thrust setting by adjusting the levers until the N1 (or EPR) TLA blue
circle is adjacent to the actual N1 or EPR.
– Use the instinctive pushbutton to the disconnect the A/THR.
– Check that “A/THR” OFF memo is displayed on the ECAM, and that the autothrust mode on the first
column of the FMA, disappears.
– Set the correct manual thrust.

Below is a video I made for you this morning to demonstrate that our A330 Manual Thrust works per the FCOM/FCTM:  I would check what Grant mentioned about setting up the INIT Page 2.

Please login to view this video.

23 hours ago, airbusA333 said:

As you Can see in the video clip I made for you, the thrust idles as thrust levers is positioned below actual N1/EPR also when autothrust is engaged. It is not possible for me to click / use the instinctive pushbutton to disconnect the A/THR. 

1 hour ago, airbusA333 said:

As you Can see in the video clip I made for you, the thrust idles as thrust levers is positioned below actual N1/EPR also when autothrust is engaged. It is not possible for me to click / use the instinctive pushbutton to disconnect the A/THR. 

Please watch my video carefully to see where the clickspots are for disconnecting the A/THR, the click spots are not on the red button but just outside of the red button.

• 3 weeks later...

Hi everyone,

This is an eye-opening thread for me because until now I though the instinctive A/T disconnect buttons weren't modelled in the Aerosoft A3xx. However, I notice one possible issue from the video created by Dave. According to the relevant FTCM section:

Instinctive Disconnection Procedure
1: – Set the thrust levers to the current thrust setting by adjusting the levers until the N1 (or EPR) TLA blue
circle is adjacent to the actual N1 or EPR.

2: – Use the instinctive pushbutton to the disconnect the A/THR.
– Check that “A/THR” OFF memo is displayed on the ECAM, and that the autothrust mode on the first
column of the FMA, disappears.
– Set the correct manual thrust.

Setting the thrust levers so that the blue donuts match the actual N1 is the first step. Only then are you supposed to press the disconnect button (step 2), otherwise the thrust will jump unexpectedly. In Dave's video the A/T is disconnected first and this is exactly what I see happening.

Therefore, I went into my A321 (because it's currently in flight so didn't get the chance to load the A330). I notice that it is not possible to push the instinctive A/T disconnect button after the thrust levers are moved into the A/THR range. Rather, I can only press this button when the throttle is still sitting in the CLB gate. This means that I am actually unable to carry out the instinctive disconnect procedure in the correct fashion.

Here's a video I made to demonstrate the issue I'm having:

On my first attempt I disconnect whilst in CLB which works, but I get a jump in thrust because I did step 2 before step 1. On my second attempt I move the thrust levers to the correct position (matching the blue donuts). However, I am unable to press the A/T disconnect button. On my final attempt I disconnect the A/T whilst in CLB and once again you see an unwanted jump in thrust before I have to move the levers to the correct position.

Am I misunderstanding something here? Shouldn't we be able to click the disconnet push buttons whilst the thrust levers are in the A/THR region?

Cheers,

Louis

Edit: I use the standard autothrottle disconnect keyboard shortcut in the P3D settings which allows me to perform the procedure correctly (essentially pressing the A/THR button on the FCU)

Hi Louis,

the clickspot of the instinctive disconnect button is indeed not modelled as we did not believe anyone would look down to the thrust levers to disconnect since normally you'd disconnect the AT only in rather busy situations.

We therefore use the default command to simulate. the AT disconnec button

Archived