Weather Radar Display issues

kevinh

I'm using the latest release with hotfix 1.0.6 in P3Dv4.2 and ASP4 for weather so the WXR should work. I see two problems.

1. The WXR Test mode doesn't display a test pattern. The ND shows the word TEST in white, but no coloured sectors as is usual.

2. In precipitation I see patterns of weather returns, but these seem fixed, If I change heading the weather returns don't move. I would expect them to be redrawn in a different relative position after the scan is complete. Yet if I fly towards the weather shown the returns move towards "own ship" as expected. The returns change shape with tilt. So something is happening but it seems to be fixed with respect to aircraft track. The weather returns displayed doesn't correlate with what is shown by Active Sky's map.

Finally a question. MAP and WXR modes are identical in terms of the ND graphics apart from the text. Is MAP mode simulated?

Kevin

• 1 month later...
  • Developer

WXR Test mode is currently not implemented. The precipitation moves fine here. The WXR just displays the data it receives from ActiveSky, so it shouldn't be static at all.

Thanks Hans, hopefully test mode will get implemented eventually.

The WXR display is static in bearing (though the shapes and colours do vary). I've attached a video of what Active Sky weather looks like on the ND. When rain returns first appear they are roughly in the correct relative position. If you change aircraft heading the returns remain at the same bearing on the ND. Comparing with the ASP4 map the visual images of storm clouds correlates well, the WXR display bears little relationship to ASP4 once heading changes are made.

I tried turning the WXR off and then on but this does not "reset" the bearing, returns reappear in the same incorrect bearing. However I've noticed If I reduce range to minimum and then increase it again the weather returns are drawn in the correct bearing. Hopefully this might provide a clue as to what is going on?

Note, with the Aerosoft Airbus (in FSX) and PMDG and FSL addons in P3D I don't have this problem and the ND display presents returns on realistic bearings. So I don't think this is a problem with ActiveSky, but the CRJ's integration with it.

Please login to view this video.

11 hours ago, kevinh said:

If you change aircraft heading the returns remain at the same bearing on the ND. Comparing with the ASP4 map the visual images of storm clouds correlates well, the WXR display bears little relationship to ASP4 once heading changes are made.

FWIW - I noticed the same thing on a flight tonight as well.  Also using ASP4.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
3 hours ago, kevinh said:

Thanks Hans, good news. Any idea when will 1.2.2.1 be out?

It already is. It’s considered an “experimental” build, though the only two changes AFAIK are the radar and pressurization logic improvements.

If you open the Aerosoft Updater, there should be a checkbox to allow “experimental updates” as well as regular ones. If you select that, version 1.2.2.1 should them show as an available download.

Archived