Frame rate fluctuation

shez

Ver 1.0.1.1. P3DV4

I wanted to raise the issue of fluctuating frame rates again in the latest builds. My comp is a mid-range I7-3770K, GTX980, 16GB RAM. The settings are upper-high in sim. 2XSSAA.

The frame rates on average are high in spot view but they fluctuate wildly between say 100 and then every few seconds down to 20 then up again (similarly between 40 and 20 in VC view).

This makes for stuttering which makes it difficult to obtain smoothness especially at major airports, This is very evident in turns.

I use VATSIM so AI is not a major issue.

I compared a similar flight on the PMDG B738 and it does not have this problem with similar frame rates.

There appears to be some background system at work which is inducing short pauses. I noticed this in the Feelthere ERJ145 (albeit much worse) but that was because maybe it was for FSX only.

I have already followed the full uninstall and delete of folders before reinstalling.

Shez

Hello Shez,

Before I can give you advice (and I'm sure we can help you), I need to know whih sim you're running.

Looking forward to hearing back from you my friend (also, you have my email addy and PM in your forum... feel free to contact me anytime there as well).

3 hours ago, DaveCT2003 said:

Hello Shez,

(...), I need to know whih sim you're running. (...)

10 hours ago, shez said:

Ver 1.0.1.1. P3DV4 (...)

I can confirm the fps "dips" every couple of seconds in FSX-SE. They are noticeable even with the CRJ stationary on the runway. So turns/AI traffic are definitely not the issue here.

I don't experience stutters, but still the dips for sure.

No such issue with the FT ERJs.

This may or may not be related to the fact, that v1.0.1.1 doesn't yet have the higher fps again it had in v1.0.0.5c. Performance in v1.0.1.1 is still somewhere between v1.0.0.5c and v1.0.1.

16 hours ago, DaveCT2003 said:

Hello Shez,

Before I can give you advice (and I'm sure we can help you), I need to know whih sim you're running.

Looking forward to hearing back from you my friend (also, you have my email addy and PM in your forum... feel free to contact me anytime there as well).

Hi Dave,

It was mentioned above but it is P3DV4.

Shez

4 minutes ago, shez said:

Hi Dave,

It was mentioned above but it is P3DV4.

Shez

Yeah., sorry, I missed it at the very top... I started reading where your narrative was and didn't realize you were giving me a PDC!  LOL

Anyway...

Based on the information you shared there are a number of improvements you can make.  In making my recommendations I'm going to make some assumptions and make some recommendations that may or may not apply - you'll know if they do.

1. If you're running any custom NVIIDA Inspector settings, please remove them.

2. If you're running ANY tweaks in your Prepared.CFG please delete the file, and don't put them back.

3. Open P3DV4, go to your Graphics Settings and select "Default Settings". After that, set your frames to unlimited , V-Sync On, Triple Buffer selected, ensure that MSAA is used instead of SSAA, Dynamic Lighting set to Off.

Give it a shot my friend!

34 minutes ago, DaveCT2003 said:

Yeah., sorry, I missed it at the very top... I started reading where your narrative was and didn't realize you were giving me a PDC!  LOL

Anyway...

Based on the information you shared there are a number of improvements you can make.  In making my recommendations I'm going to make some assumptions and make some recommendations that may or may not apply - you'll know if they do.

1. If you're running any custom NVIIDA Inspector settings, please remove them.

2. If you're running ANY tweaks in your Prepared.CFG please delete the file, and don't put them back.

3. Open P3DV4, go to your Graphics Settings and select "Default Settings". After that, set your frames to unlimited , V-Sync On, Triple Buffer selected, ensure that MSAA is used instead of SSAA, Dynamic Lighting set to Off.

Give it a shot my friend!

I have the same problem as well. Does it every few flights then some are good. But I will try that as well. I have P3D v4 as well.

1 hour ago, tangjuice81 said:

I have the same problem as well. Does it every few flights then some are good. But I will try that as well. I have P3D v4 as well.

Sure, be please understand that the recommendation for Shez's system for Dynamic Lighting = Off was due to his graphics card.  Note: I'm told the GTX980 can handle Dynamic Lighting, and looking at the specs it makes sense to me - though there were certainly be an impact where there isn't one with a GTX1080.  I recommended Dynamic Lighting Off to Shez because he was already having difficulties. If the settings I recommended resolve his issues, then he should then try his system with Dynamic Lighting = On.

Best wishes to everyone, and Happy Flights this weekend!

Thanks Dave. PDC received :).

DL was off already. Let me give it a try with lowest settings and build up. I say this because the PMDG bird does well in comparison.

Shez

OK so I gradually shut down various graphics settings to minimums, removed FSUIPC4 and 5, turned off NI, turned off AV, there are no tweaks that I know of in the cfg file. At the minimum settings the frames are of course above 400 but it continues to fluctuate to 50/100/150 and back to 400 (ratio: 400 for 2 secs then a blip to 50/100 then over again). In the turns even at these minimum settings there is a slight lag when frames fluctuate, made more obvious when in a turn.

Shez

I have an older system but have it tuned nicely. My graphics are pretty plain looking, but I'm in it for the systems simulations, not the pretty trees on the ground. I'm running FSX:MS and have a 2600K running at 4.6GHz, nVidia 560Ti, 16GB RAM, etc. I know my system is old. However, I have all the highly complex addons and never have stutters. I get low FPS primarily with the FSL A320, but even when FPS drop into the teens, I'm still not having stutter issues there. When in spot mode in the CRJ, i'm getting 50+ FPS. When in the VC I can get 30+ with smooth transitions EXCEPT when I'm looking at the PFD/MFD, etc. Just as soon as the cockpit displays enter my screen, my frames start fluctuating where mostly it's 30+ with brief excursions to 5 or less causing stutters. It's pretty much happening at one "excursion" every second. If I look up at the overhead, the stutters stop. 

Something to note. The stutters nearly disappear when I become airborne. I don't know if there's a correlation here since I have no idea how the code works...but I've noticed that on the ground, this CRJ sim calculates some absurd times for ETA, etc...for example when taxiing, I'll see 98678939 time to next waypoint. Or a fuel remaining in the negative 100000's of pounds. Is it possible that these absurd calculations are eating resources and are re-running every say, second or so and causing the drop in FPS? And of course once airborne, the calculations normalize. I have no idea really, but I can say the stuttering during taxi is quite bothersome. 

I'm on 1.0.1.1 by the way, latest redistributables, installed as admin, rebooted, loaded from default, etc. 

3 hours ago, adamant365 said:

I have an older system but have it tuned nicely. My graphics are pretty plain looking, but I'm in it for the systems simulations, not the pretty trees on the ground. I'm running FSX:MS and have a 2600K running at 4.6GHz, nVidia 560Ti, 16GB RAM, etc. I know my system is old. However, I have all the highly complex addons and never have stutters. I get low FPS primarily with the FSL A320, but even when FPS drop into the teens, I'm still not having stutter issues there. When in spot mode in the CRJ, i'm getting 50+ FPS. When in the VC I can get 30+ with smooth transitions EXCEPT when I'm looking at the PFD/MFD, etc. Just as soon as the cockpit displays enter my screen, my frames start fluctuating where mostly it's 30+ with brief excursions to 5 or less causing stutters. It's pretty much happening at one "excursion" every second. If I look up at the overhead, the stutters stop. 

Something to note. The stutters nearly disappear when I become airborne. I don't know if there's a correlation here since I have no idea how the code works...but I've noticed that on the ground, this CRJ sim calculates some absurd times for ETA, etc...for example when taxiing, I'll see 98678939 time to next waypoint. Or a fuel remaining in the negative 100000's of pounds. Is it possible that these absurd calculations are eating resources and are re-running every say, second or so and causing the drop in FPS? And of course once airborne, the calculations normalize. I have no idea really, but I can say the stuttering during taxi is quite bothersome. 

I'm on 1.0.1.1 by the way, latest redistributables, installed as admin, rebooted, loaded from default, etc. 

That is EXCELLENT and extremely useful feedback!

Many thanks!

10 hours ago, shez said:

OK so I gradually shut down various graphics settings to minimums, removed FSUIPC4 and 5, turned off NI, turned off AV, there are no tweaks that I know of in the cfg file. At the minimum settings the frames are of course above 400 but it continues to fluctuate to 50/100/150 and back to 400 (ratio: 400 for 2 secs then a blip to 50/100 then over again). In the turns even at these minimum settings there is a slight lag when frames fluctuate, made more obvious when in a turn.

Shez

Thanks for the info Shez,

Frame rates are different in P3DV4 than in all previous version of ESP derivatives. Placing the frame rate counter at maxium and using Vsync/Triple Buffering should provide you with a steady frame rate.  The actual value will vary from system to system, but with an i7-4770K with all four cores locked at 4.3 GHz and a mid-range GTX1080 I"m able to maintain about 28 to 38 frames with the above settings.

Side note:  For those who fly on VATSIM... frames that exceed 30fps will result in your having an "actual" ground speed that is higher than what you're aircraft says it is.  The opposite is also true.

Sadly i can confirm this issue. But ive been told to not further talk about it since theres "nothing we can do without knowing what causes it". Ive mentioned it alsready, these "fluctuations" you mentioned, and these dips all few secons appear on every system ive come across. On mine both, on everyone but one single person in our twitch/discord community, doesnt matter how good the system is. I have a 1060 and an i5 7400, but some of the ppl i mentioned have 1080TIs and i7 7700s and its still the same. While that ppl get better fps overall, these dips into very low fps for a half sec or  a bit more happens everywhere it seems.

Since it seems that the situation now changed and you guys there suddenly want to dive in it, im still here and can still prove everything said with videos, if need is be. I just find it said, because opposed to some others i really like the CRJ, but cannot stream with it since its the ONLY plane of all of mine that has this issue. Other planes like pmdg 747 = 30 fps and the CRJ stutters with 22 AND has this dips all 2 seconds where the whole terrain "hops". Its bad... i would love to fly it. But i dont see why i should lower my settings to a lot lower ones just because of ONE plane...wich isnt even the deepest modeled, nor has the most detailed VC or whatever. Its just normal an by no means bad, no. But i dont see why it is more demanding as a 777, 747 or 737. I just cannot see why...If there should be one good reason i overlook, let me know and maybe i change my mind... Im open to learn..

Heres a link to the other topic where i tried talking about it.

PS: Dont get me wrong and think im one of the typical AS bashers, as you can read in my post history. Its quite the opposite actually and i defend AS with every chance. But i start to loos a bit that way of thinking, seeing how me and other ppl are talked to here in this forum.

9 hours ago, DaveCT2003 said:

Side note:  For those who fly on VATSIM... frames that exceed 30fps will result in your having an "actual" ground speed that is higher than what you're aircraft says it is.  The opposite is also true.

I apologize if this has been discussed elsewhere, I searched this forum and couldn't find anything, but I'm wondering what you mean by this. I understand what you said, but is this only an issue on VATSIM, or do you mean because you have to enter your airspeed when filing a flightplan, it's relevant? And is this unique to the CRJ? Would it be best to aim for an FPS around 30 when flying the CRJ? Thanks!

3 hours ago, Neuhaus said:

I apologize if this has been discussed elsewhere, I searched this forum and couldn't find anything, but I'm wondering what you mean by this. I understand what you said, but is this only an issue on VATSIM, or do you mean because you have to enter your airspeed when filing a flightplan, it's relevant? And is this unique to the CRJ? Would it be best to aim for an FPS around 30 when flying the CRJ? Thanks!

Not unique to any aircraft.  FSX/P3D and even Xplane, the frame rates are tied to time.  When one flies offline, it doesn't matter too much. But when you fly with others, the relativity becomes broken.

19 hours ago, adamant365 said:

I agree with the direction of your observations. There is some calculation or process which is looping or something that is causing this stutter. It is not the typical graphics issue as I have demonstrated. This CRJ has very good basic FPS performance, better than many other payware models. Maybe it is DAVE?

Shez

On 9/16/2017 at 7:06 PM, DaveCT2003 said:

Sure, be please understand that the recommendation for Shez's system for Dynamic Lighting = Off was due to his graphics card.  Note: I'm told the GTX980 can handle Dynamic Lighting, and looking at the specs it makes sense to me - though there were certainly be an impact where there isn't one with a GTX1080.  I recommended Dynamic Lighting Off to Shez because he was already having difficulties. If the settings I recommended resolve his issues, then he should then try his system with Dynamic Lighting = On.

Best wishes to everyone, and Happy Flights this weekend!

Well I have an i7 6800k, 780ti, 32 gb, and I can say that all the added features kills my pc when flying with some settings; ei autogen, buildings, shadows. Now I run most medium settings with LOD Ultra, Tessellation High, Mesh 1m and Textures 7 cm and I get really good fps. Trees and autogen are normal, dynamic lighting is off, fxaa is on, AA is 2x msaa and texture filtering 4x, vsync on and triple buffering is on; water detail medium, scenery complexity is very dense all others are normal or medium. I do however run 2048 texures though. 

Good morining,

I've got the same problem with my FSX. Normaly Im flying with PMDG, Majestic or FSLabs aircrafts with around 20 FPS, but with the CRJ only 7 to 10. It doesnt matter which airport, in the air or ground. Its annoying and no fun to fly with it.

I hope youll find the issue soon,

best regards, Tobias

Archived