Anyone made use of the F6 painkit?

TheCameronPerson

On 10/20/2016 at 4:54 PM, TheCameronPerson said:

Thanks for the tip Dave, I've been away for a few days but I've got back into it and gone over some of the skins on 770 and I think I'm happy with it now..

At the moment I'm trying my hand at an F3 repaint to get some experience with a "shiny" :D I'm going for a fictitious F3 paint based on the two sided livery that Lightning T5 XS458 currently wears at her home in Cranfield.

Wish me luck!

I'll certainly wish you luck with all those squadron flashes down the port side :blink:   

D

BTW why are your AA letters blue ? 

• Replies 93
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Dave, forgive me, I call it old age!  I hadnt seen that paint in the aircraft list (new P3D convert) ... When I get a chance to play I will go look for it.   My apologies **Hangs his head in shame**

On ‎10‎/‎21‎/‎2016 at 11:44 PM, wingman5 said:
On ‎10‎/‎15‎/‎2016 at 0:58 AM, wingman5 said:

Have a play with the diffuse alpha channel ( although for paintwork pure white is probably best)  , and the specular colour,and spec alpha.

Actually I was just looking at your repaint of XM142, do you reckon you could pass on a trade secret over what figures you used for the hue/saturation and brightness etc, to achieve such a nice finish? :rolleyes: Also I see that not many textures use the spec_alpha.dds provided in the paintkit, when would I use this?

On ‎10‎/‎21‎/‎2016 at 11:44 PM, wingman5 said:
1 hour ago, TheCameronPerson said:

Actually I was just looking at your repaint of XM142, do you reckon you could pass on a trade secret over what figures you used for the hue/saturation and brightness etc, to achieve such a nice finish? :rolleyes:

All I seem to end up with is a slightly glossy grey rather than bare metal silver..

10 hours ago, TheCameronPerson said:

All I seem to end up with is a slightly glossy grey rather than bare metal silver..

Hi Cameron

The diffuse and spec textures work in conjunction with each other,  and the alpha channels for each  control their intensity. 

With the diffuse alpha the darker the grey the shinier the appearance , hence matt paint schemes are mostly white.. chrome is black. so ally is somewhere inbetween , I also lighten shaded and dirty areas and apply a random mottled surface  elsewhere.... as I say , play with it to get the best effect you are looking for.

The spec texture provides an underlying colour that will be more or less apparent as the light and viewing angle changes, (a good way to see this effect is to substitute a wrong (ie different) spec on the fin  and rotate the model with slew)

The darkness of the spec alpha will determine the ammout of colour applied ......  the lighter the colour the more  spec applied.

The actual spec texture  can be any colour you want ( the default FSX DC3 had a rainbow spec!) , but most people use a darker or lighter version of the Main texture , just enough to give a contrast.

That's the way I do it anyway,although I sure some repainters would be aghast at my method :o 

Cheers

Dave

And dont forget to save as DXT5

37 minutes ago, wingman5 said:

Hi Cameron

The diffuse and spec textures work in conjunction with each other,  and the alpha channels for each  control their intensity. 

With the diffuse alpha the darker the grey the shinier the appearance , hence matt paint schemes are mostly white.. chrome is black. so ally is somewhere inbetween

Ahhhh that makes more sense! I think where I got caught up was because when I opened the default texture folders I couldn't for the life of me see an alpha channel or spec_alpha, only diffuse and spec could be found..

Thanks for the tip! I shall go and give it a try and see how we go :)

41 minutes ago, TheCameronPerson said:

Ahhhh that makes more sense! I think where I got caught up was because when I opened the default texture folders I couldn't for the life of me see an alpha channel or spec_alpha, only diffuse and spec could be found..

Thanks for the tip! I shall go and give it a try and see how we go :)

You can extract the alpha channels from the default textures with the DXTBmp tool , ... send them to your photoshop and alter them at will,  then  upload back to DXTbmp and save as DXT5 

D

4 hours ago, wingman5 said:

then  upload back to DXTbmp and save as DXT5 

Well.. Playing around with what I can do and I seem to have created a Terminator Lightning!   I decided to take it back to the drawing board after that and I've now come up with a better effort that's based on XP693, the BAe trial aircraft now at Thunder City.

So now I'm off to try and repaint my XS458 with a shiny fuselage:D am I right in saying that I can do the tail repaint in the diffuse texture and then duplicate the layers into the alpha channel, I just have to make sure to convert it to greyscale before saving?

Thanks,

Cameron.

The Terminator Lightning (1st try)

Please login to display this image.

and a more accurate portrayal after some experimenting!

Also correction on last post, instead of alpha channels I meant Spec.. I understand the Alpha stays blank???

I actually think your terminator looks pretty good , they looked just like that after we'd polished them, 

The alpha for the main (diffuse ) texture , is what gives the shinyness, so paintwork and dirt etc is lighter than the polished areas. and is greyscale.

the Spec  texture gives an underlying tone , so I save the main texture as a merged layer and work on that ... it doesn't have to be greysccale,  I have just experimented by  putting it through the "chrome effect" tool... looks good :). The spec alpha can be left white , so you get the full effect.

D

On 10/28/2016 at 4:51 PM, wingman5 said:

I actually think your terminator looks pretty good , they looked just like that after we'd polished them, 

thanks Dave. That was createdby making the alpha channel almost completely black if I remember. I've dulled it down quite a lot now haha. I'm experimenting with adding more dirt and soot to a fuselage using a repaint I'm working on of the LPG's resident XR728 ;)

On ‎11‎/‎2‎/‎2016 at 8:05 PM, DaleRFU said:

I was just about to ask if anyone could do 728 (JS), would be a great addition

I'm going away for a few weeks on Monday but when I'm back I'll be doing some tweaking to the repaint so I can send you the download via a PM once I'm done if you like..

15 hours ago, TheCameronPerson said:

I'm going away for a few weeks on Monday but when I'm back I'll be doing some tweaking to the repaint so I can send you the download via a PM once I'm done if you like..

Yes please, I'd love a copy of it If you'd be so kind.

No problem, I've finished the base repaint for XR728, I just need to make the spec, alphas etc and find a look that I like. Because I had some free time I've also edited the default 111 Squadron F3 to make it look like the LPG's newest Lightning, XR718. I should add that this is not a complete repaint from scratch, literally just a fifteen minute job. I Would have used the F3 paint kit but for some reason the folder is empty when I download it. So like I say, it's not perfect but it'll do so that we can have all of the LPG's Lightnings in our hangar ;)

Just throwing out a general question to anyone who's repainted in FSX before, wondering if anyone has ever had the experience of their repaints showing another texture underneath?

Here's a repaint I'm working on using the standard diffuse texture provided with the F6 paintkit. I should add that the screenshot is just a standard repaint with no specs or alphas added to it yet.

The issue of things being added to my repaint is seen below. The arrow marked A is pointing to a random black line that I assume made up the original black walk line on the wing, a bit annoying since it's interrupting the white walk line I added. The black line is symmetrical so its messing up both my port and starboard wing :blink:What I can't understand is that any trace of the original black lines found in the paintkit have been deleted so I don't see how they're there still.. Seeing as I made the white line myself I removed them to see if the black line went away but for some reason the black lines remained.. The arrow marked B is pointing to the fact that the white walk line seems to have added to itself so it touches the wing. I don't get this either seeing as to my eye, everything seems to be lined up perfectly?

Has anyone else experienced this and how did they deal with this?

Thanks,

Cameron.

The black stripes you are seeing are on a different texture sheet: lit_fuse_f_T.dds.

Hint: There is a brilliant freeware tool you can use to explore the mapping of the texture sheets: ModelConverterX (made by Arno Gerretsen, available on fsdeveloper.com).

- Install the latest development version

- Open the exterior MDL file

- Hit the "Material Editor" button

- Check the "Highlight Selected" tick box

- Scroll through the materials list to find LIT_FUSE_F_T - the model area you are looking for will be highlighted in red.

Hi Cameron

Yes the black line is on the wing root fillet and that is on the front fuse sheet, ( just above the spine tex)

you'r forgetting the leading edge is a wrapped texture and is in the wing underside sheet, so artefact "B" needs the paint colour adjusting there.

The shadowy undertexture looks like you have the wrong spec texture ( ie 904's) for the chosen scheme.  You must make the spec anew from your diffuse texture

D

On 11/11/2016 at 7:52 AM, Henk Schuitemaker said:

There is a brilliant freeware tool you can use to explore the mapping of the texture sheets: ModelConverterX (made by Arno

Thanks for the hint, the black line has now gone, and thanks for the hint about ModelConvertor definitely makes previewing my repaints a hell of a lot quicker than loading up FSX everytime! :)

On 11/11/2016 at 11:17 AM, wingman5 said:

The shadowy undertexture looks like you have the wrong spec texture ( ie 904's) for the chosen scheme.  You must make the spec anew from your diffuse texture

And I've managed to trace that issue back to a spelling error in my spec file name so it was showing 904 for some reason, anywway all done now so now just want to get the right look for the spec on the grey paint.. 

On ‎11‎/‎5‎/‎2016 at 3:31 PM, DaleRFU said:

Yes please, I'd love a copy of it If you'd be so kind.

On ‎11‎/‎5‎/‎2016 at 1:07 AM, WarHorse47 said:

Looking forward to the final paint.

--WH

Hi everyone,

Just thought I'd let you know that I've posted the download link to my LPG repaints in a new thread..

They're not quite on the same level as Dave's repaints but hey we all start somewhere ;)

Hope you like them,

Cameron.

3 hours ago, dhazelgrove said:

Anyone fancy doing a 19 Squadron F2A to go with the 92 Squadron we have?

Dave

Ive got a shiny one ( see post #36)  just need to sort myself out and get it posted..... just so busy though :0)

D

Archived