$230,000 FSX

Kofi

It is in fact a very modest cockpit setup. Check for example the setups shown on magenta.com

Exactly. I know alot of the guys over at Magenta from when I was building my setup. One of the best ones that I saw was $50,000-$60,000US.

That's a pic from the latest Pop Sci. That setup doesn't run anywhere near 230k. The real 230k setup looks like a military flight sim and is the size of a small house.

I see that now. It makes way more sense now. That has got to be an amazing setup for that kind of coin.

I think it's a hoax.

There is absolutely no way his setup cost $230,000

Just do the math:

13 x Quadcore at let say : $2.500 each is appr. $ 35,000

The Goflight stuff probably somewhere near $5,000

A large 42" screen : $2,500?

Misc : $5,000

Total: $45,000. That would imply that his hydraulic set cost about $185,000. Yeah right.....

I think it's a hoax.

There is absolutely no way his setup cost $230,000

Just do the math:

13 x Quadcore at let say : $2.500 each is appr. $ 35,000

The Goflight stuff probably somewhere near $5,000

A large 42" screen : $2,500?

Misc : $5,000

Total: $45,000. That would imply that his hydraulic set cost about $185,000. Yeah right.....

As it said in the post that I quoted, that picture is not representative of what he bought. There's probably no goflight components in his pit. He's probably got a whole cockpit shell (probably an actual cockpit from a decomissioned airliner), Project Magenta software, Flightdeck Solutions hardware, etc. It would be easy to get to $230,000.

And I thought spending $60 on a flight sim program was high but this guy really wants to fly. I guess watching movies on it is out of the question.

:lol: something tells me hes no longer married.

I Just finished work on my full motion jet (737NG) cockpit complete in detail right down to the trim wheels rotating the throttle leavers moving while in autothrottles linked yokes and peddles and the FMC operates. :D All for about $140,000US and a lot of long days of scratching my head. :? So if this guy spent $230,000 he must have a set up that is on par with a Flight Safety Sim. What a lucky stiff. :wink:

I Just finished work on my full motion jet (737NG) cockpit complete in detail right down to the trim wheels rotating the throttle leavers moving while in autothrottles linked yokes and peddles and the FMC operates. :D All for about $140,000US and a lot of long days of scratching my head. :? So if this guy spent $230,000 he must have a set up that is on par with a Flight Safety Sim. What a lucky stiff. :wink:

What controls the motion, electric actuaters or hydraulics ?

What controls the motion, electric actuaters or hydraulics ?

Hydralicly damped electric actuaters are used on my base. The range of motion is small it used more to get the "Bumps and turbulance" into the cockpit. the 180 degree video does the rest of the job of giving you the flying feeling. 8) (I'd rather spend the big bucks in the cockpit)

Follow this link for actual pictures and information on Matthew Sheil's $230,000 747 cockpit (fairly impressive, I'd say!):

http://www.hyway.com.au/747/

I love stories like this guy. He's the owner of a trucking business and just loves to fly...took 10 years to build!

Now that's what I call keeping one's nose to the grindstone. Very impressive!