Windows Vista Really who would have guessed.

seahawk09

Hey all,

I hope all of you had a great Christmas, I found out something interesting over the holidays whilest reading a gaming magizine apparently Windows Vista will play an important roll for FSX it is going to make it a little more stable and I cant remeber but i think it also said that the graphics will be smoother in lower end machines. if this is true have a duel core and windows vista on board well things could very well turn around for FSX until then i will stick with FS9 and read the reviews in our forum. we might very well have another great flight sim coming our way.

Richard

Hey all,

I hope all of you had a great Christmas, I found out something interesting over the holidays whilest reading a gaming magizine apparently Windows Vista will play an important roll for FSX it is going to make it a little more stable and I cant remeber but i think it also said that the graphics will be smoother in lower end machines. if this is true have a duel core and windows vista on board well things could very well turn around for FSX until then i will stick with FS9 and read the reviews in our forum. we might very well have another great flight sim coming our way.

Richard

What magazine?

Absolute rubbish. As the OS makes steeper demands on the system resources, how the the heck is the computer supposed to run FSX faster/better/smoother on the same hardware?

Absolute rubbish. As the OS makes steeper demands on the system resources, how the the heck is the computer supposed to run FSX faster/better/smoother on the same hardware?

I have to agree with Simon on this one. That's why I asked what magazine. There has been alot of BS and speculation printed in various "reputable" magazines lately.

Since FSX is kind of a marketing vehicle for Vista it will be optimised for that system. It will certainly look better, but as snave said: The system itself is more demanding than XP, and so it can't be the cureitall potion from dr. wonder's lab. Even with higher spec rigs, you probably will have to tune down the eye candy even more.

The minimal system itself is sold for 229 Euros and then you still need a DX10 card to take advantage of the new effects.

• Aerosoft

Well the moment FSX is started most of the OS will be unloaded (if you are short in memory) and the stub that remains could very well be more optimized for games. There are some indications that the better memory management and easier flow of data to DirectX10 may help with games.

The better support for Dual Core CPU (the Intel kind) also helps in another area. On my development machine FSX is far smoother since I moved to Vista because there are always a load of other apps running (editors, Office, dev tools etc). On the same hardware this caused FSX to slow down under XP but under Vista I do not notice the other applications. Of course this does not mean that FSX is faster itself, just less influenced but other tasks.

FSX however is fully CPU restricted at this moment and there is no magic bullet until MS smooths out the issues.

Well the moment FSX is started most of the OS will be unloaded (if you are short in memory) and the stub that remains could very well be more optimized for games. There are some indications that the better memory management and easier flow of data to DirectX10 may help with games.

That doesn't seem to be the case. There's an interview with Scott Anderson, Business Development Manager for Microsoft in the German fs magazin 1/2007.

When asked about Vista performance, he says, that the performance won't be better, only the looks. So not even Microsoft believes in Vista being the magic bullet.

FSX however is fully CPU restricted at this moment and there is no magic bullet until MS smooths out the issues.

And that probably won't happen. At least not on a larger scale. According to the post on avsim, that was sadly dissappearing within a few days, multicore support won't be possible without a complete rewriting of the engine. So they will do some changes in the announced patch, but I doubt, that it will smoith things considerably.

There will be difference but maybe not from the start. I think the magazine is talking about the DirectX 10 version of FSX that will indeed be different, I don't know if it'll run faster, but it'll have a patch to allow the use of Dx10 Hardware, and even if we don't have test about Dx10 as of now, the fact that the API has been completely remade without ensuring backward compatibility, and taking advantage of a new driver model and of the new OS it will definitely change thing.

I've played also on the RC1 a little to check thing and there was no big gap, but wel drivers were not yet complete for this new OS, even though the system is much better on various poitns such as memory management.

So yes we'll have a different version of FSX for Vista that will take advantage of Dx 10 hardware. But as of now nobody can tell exactly what kind of change we'll see exactly.

So yes we'll have a different version of FSX for Vista that will take advantage of Dx 10 hardware. But as of now nobody can tell exactly what kind of change we'll see exactly.

Well, like I said above: According to the microsoft brass, there will be no performance boost, only some visual candy. I think, they should know and if they say it won't help the performance, I believe them. Even more, since quotes like that aren't that good for marketing purposes.

Well, like I said above: According to the microsoft brass, there will be no performance boost, only some visual candy. I think, they should know and if they say it won't help the performance, I believe them. Even more, since quotes like that aren't that good for marketing purposes.

Yeah I just think there could be a very little plus with the new memory management, but we'll see when all will be available :D