Twin Otter is swaying to the left and right..

walter1158

Why does this fantastic Plane- exept the GPS - permanent tilting to the left or to the right and can not hold a straight forward course!

No other FSX default - or Payware Aicraft has such a behavior!

(My Joystick, Rudder, Aileron Settings are right correctly)!

I know that it could be happen under some wind conditions (ASNext) from time to time- but this Twin Otter can´t be left no single minute unattended. If you make some adjustments, Comms, Navigagion, Pedestal or so on, in the next moment the Aircraft is swaying along the roll Axis.

Flying without Autopilot is a hard job to keep the Aircraft under control, it makes no fun!

Any Solutions?

Thanks

Walter

Why does this fantastic Plane- exept the GPS - permanent tilting to the left or to the right and can not hold a straight forward course!

No other FSX default - or Payware Aicraft has such a behavior!

(My Joystick, Rudder, Aileron Settings are right correctly)!

I know that it could be happen under some wind conditions (ASNext) from time to time- but this Twin Otter can´t be left no single minute unattended. If you make some adjustments, Comms, Navigagion, Pedestal or so on, in the next moment the Aircraft is swaying along the roll Axis.

Flying without Autopilot is a hard job to keep the Aircraft under control, it makes no fun!

Any Solutions?

Thanks

Walter

I simply don´t know Walter...

This is the first time I heard that the Twin Otter is unstable, though we have sold alot of copies.

Can You post a video of Your issue ?

Finn

I have exactly the same issue! It's really frustrating me that the very first plane I've actually paid for is just about unflyable. Are all the settings in the handbook correct? Do you definitely have to turn off autorudder?

Max

Make sure Your controls are setup correctly.

Calibrate Your joystick either via the windows controlpanle or the tools supplied with Your stick.

If You don´t use FSUIPC for joystick calibration and setup, but uses the standard FSX controller setup, check this:

• Nullzone for all axis should be full left, thus at minimum.
  • Sensivity for all axis should be at full right for maximum setting.

Having autorudder on should not be a problem.

Inside FSX check that Aileron (left/right), Elevator (up/down) and rudder (left/right - if available) centers correctly and moves through the entire range of movement.

Also check that Your loadout does not exceed the limitations and are properly balanced, especially left/right.

Again - a video tells more than thousand words.

Finn

• Deputy Sheriffs

I have exactly the same issue! It's really frustrating me that the very first plane I've actually paid for is just about unflyable. Are all the settings in the handbook correct?

Hi Max,

Welcome to the support forum :)

Please consider all the tips that Finn gave you. The Twin Otter is a very fine plane to fly, and should cause you no grief.

However it is normal that, while flying manually, you have to make small corrections with your yoke/joystick to keep the desired course and altitude. Trimming the aircraft also helps to get it to fly almost straight, but it is never like a train on a track. If you want that, you can of course use the autopilot.

To find the cause of the instability you experience, you can also try to disable your joysticks temporarily and see if that makes a difference.

This is the first time I heard that the Twin Otter is unstable, though we have sold alot of copies.

Finn

Hello Finn,

i´m not familiar how to make a Video- but i´ll try later with Hyper Cam.

I implemented all your tips, but no better results are given.

But i accentuate that no other Aircraft has that manner -it is unrealistic that the Plane suddenly is banking to 30° - .. realize if that would happen in the real Word, .. unimaginable.

My opinion is: A really beautiful Aircraft - but weak in the matter of the Flight Dynamics.

Conclusion: You should consult a German Man who´s Name is: Alexander M. Metzger, who made Flight Dynamics as example for the Cessna Grand Caravan!!

Hello Finn,

But i accentuate that no other Aircraft has that manner -it is unrealistic that the Plane suddenly is banking to 30° - .. realize if that would happen in the real Word, .. unimaginable.

My opinion is: A really beautiful Aircraft - but weak in the matter of the Flight Dynamics.

Conclusion: You should consult a German Man who´s Name is: Alexander M. Metzger, who made Flight Dynamics as example for the Cessna Grand Caravan!!

Well....

The developer who did the flight model for the Twin Otter has A LOT of experience doing so.

During developement, we had reallife Twin Otter pilots to give us / him feedbak on it´s behaviour compared with the real thing.

We have sold thousands of copies, and guess what !! - we only got very few reports like Yours, so it´s not fair to accuse our work to be wrong with such confidence.

I know Alexander and his great work, but the Twin Otter FM developer is as skilled as Alexander, and has been in this business for many years too.

I´m sorry You have troubles to make it fly like You think it should fly, but that it doesn´t work right for You, does not mean that it is wrong.

Since I simply don´t know Your hardware setup or how You control axis are setup, and it´s hard to see what exactly is wrong without a video.

We are here to help people like You, but Your attitude makes it hard to do so.

Via this link You can find a bunch of video reviews etc.. on the Twin Otter: https://www.youtube.com/results?search_query=aerosoft+Twin+Otter+extendedreview

Please tell me how many of the reviewers and first lookers tell that it´s unflyable !

Finn

But i accentuate that no other Aircraft has that manner -it is unrealistic that the Plane suddenly is banking to 30°

Well I feel like I have to join in to say it doesn't do that for me. So it seems this isn't a feature of the flight model, the problem is elsewhere.

• Deputy Sheriffs

Hello Finn,

When doing such kind of statement, one should come with little more then the usual "this is a..."

Please, show us evidences about your statements. Others have done so, and have proven it is not usntable, so please be so kind as to show us, or save us your tips to people who does not need to demonstrate anything to the community.

Earn your credit or stay calm.

Regards

Make sure Your controls are setup correctly.

Calibrate Your joystick either via the windows controlpanle or the tools supplied with Your stick.

If You don´t use FSUIPC for joystick calibration and setup, but uses the standard FSX controller setup, check this:

• Nullzone for all axis should be full left, thus at minimum.
  • Sensivity for all axis should be at full right for maximum setting.

Having autorudder on should not be a problem.

Inside FSX check that Aileron (left/right), Elevator (up/down) and rudder (left/right - if available) centers correctly and moves through the entire range of movement.

Also check that Your loadout does not exceed the limitations and are properly balanced, especially left/right.

Again - a video tells more than thousand words.

Finn

Hi Finn,

Sorry for delay in replying; I've not been well and additionally into hospital for a minor operation since I posted here. I haven't as yet been able to go through all the things you mention above, and being only a casual user so far, I don't fully understand everything you say. I don't know what FSUIPC is, but use FSX to calibrate joystick (Saitek FLY5). From memory I don't think the nullzone and sensitivity are set as you say.

I'm puzzled about Autorudder, as the handbook says "to prevent FSX messing things up best to keep this off"?

To clarify, I use auto set-up to take off and fly. As the flight opens, I just close the checklist and take off. Prior to changing the FSX settings to what the handbook says, I was having no such problems with any of the built in planes. I will check other things later and try turning the autorudder back on.

Cheers

Max

Thanks Finn. Having gone into FSX again this morning, it looks as though I may have a fault with my joystick. Axes are not centring or fully going to extreme. It's a pity because I really like this joystick, and I think I'll buy another.

Max

The Saitek joystick are normally very robust and accurate.

Have You calibrated it correctly either via the Control panel or via some software tool that came with the joystick ?

You can find the driver and software here : http://madcatz.com/downloads/

Just select Your operating system and the "Madcatz FLY 5 Flight Stick"

Finn

• 2 weeks later...

I sure hope you resolved you issue with this bird cause i have it and find it very good , and they did a bang up job on it . Can EZ-Doc if you have it be a factor or the weather engine ? The only problem i have with it and it;s NOT their fault is excessive power to get rolling and the way these developers are busting codes left right and center they just might fix it . I only own 2 turbines and will never get any more - this one and the Real -Air Turbine Duke cause the throttles in the turbines are very sensitive and it aggravates me cause you just touch them and they power up too much again it s not the developers fault -in the manual for the turbine duke they have a real good explanation of why they can't do anything about it cause of the limitations of FSX - I fly this Otter only in FS-Economy and bush strips and she's sure a performer with the Orbz scenery and tight get into strips .

• 2 months later...

Finn

I too have difficulties with yaw, it is almost impossible to trim out.

Mike

When doing such kind of statement, one should come with little more then the usual "this is a..."

Please, show us evidences about your statements. Others have done so, and have proven it is not usntable, so please be so kind as to show us, or save us your tips to people who does not need to demonstrate anything to the community.

Earn your credit or stay calm.

Regards

Perhaps that is why there are not many people raising issues.

I have a few issues with the a/c one of which is the yaw.

I have set rudder trim through FSUIPC but I just cannot trim to prevent yawing. Sometimes it will be stable for a few seconds - perhaps 20-30 - then as soon as I take my attention away from it I return a few seconds later to find the a/c 30º or so off heading!

Mike

• Deputy Sheriffs

Well.

I would say that those raising issues with data to offer to those willing to help have much better chances of receiving help.

If you cannot see this basic premise, is up to you, but this statement is a fact, not a matter of discussion.

Regards

Budlake, I set comtrols through FSUIPC as well and have no trim issues at all. Have you scoured your FSUIPC.ini file for conflicts? Sometimes in the past I've had to manually delete all FSUIPC entries for an aircraft and start fresh.

• 3 weeks later...

Budlake, I set comtrols through FSUIPC as well and have no trim issues at all. Have you scoured your FSUIPC.ini file for conflicts? Sometimes in the past I've had to manually delete all FSUIPC entries for an aircraft and start fresh.

Hello Flibinite, I apologise for the late reply - I have been away.

I have looked at the FSUIPC.ini file but without know what to look for I cannot be sure but there does not appear to anything untoward.

Mike

• Deputy Sheriffs

Also check your axis assignments in FSX for all controller types to ensure you don't have duplicate axis assignments. If you're using FSUIPC for axis assignments, it's best to delete all of them in FSX and let FSUIPC do everything.

Also check your axis assignments in FSX for all controller types to ensure you don't have duplicate axis assignments. If you're using FSUIPC for axis assignments, it's best to delete all of them in FSX and let FSUIPC do everything.

Indeed.

I have had a few instances (often when one of my controllers has been unplugged and reconnected) where axis where re-assigend automatically by FSX and thus confilct with my FSUIPC calibrations.

Also check Your loadout and fuel distribution !

A video showing how it looks for those seeing this issue also tells more than a 1000 words.

Finn

Archived