Mega Airport 2K textures

• Aerosoft

Somebody asked us what the difference between 1k and 2k textures used on modern scenery is. Let us show you with this sample of mega Airport Prague that's in development:

LKPR_Texture_comparison.gif

Keep in mind that the memory load between 1k and 2k textures quadruples and becomes a major factor!

Personally I can see the difference but it doesn't bother me at all. If I ever find a scenery with textures above 1024x1024, I resize them down myself.

No need to do that. If FSX is not manually set to show texture resolutions above the maximum global textures resolution possible in its settings menu it will never load or display anything beyond 1024pix. No matter if a 2048pix or 4096pix version if atexture exists, FSX will never load anything higher than the 1024pix version MIP of the texture. Neither does this have any impact on performance since the higher resolutions simply won't be loaded.

Bests,

Sascha

No need to do that. If FSX is not manually set to show texture resolutions above the maximum global textures resolution possible in its settings menu it will never load or display anything beyond 1024pix. No matter if a 2048pix or 4096pix version if atexture exists, FSX will never load anything higher than the 1024pix version MIP of the texture. Neither does this have any impact on performance since the higher resolutions simply won't be loaded.

Bests,

Sascha

I'm also not sure of that - I suppose that only works if some kind of "LOD-Mapping" (Mipmap) is applied to the texture files so FSX controls the max Level to use. Otherwise FSX would have to "downscale" a 2k texture by itself.

Happy Landings

Juergen

Bests,

Sascha

I believe that only to be true if the developer has mipmapped the textures (as they should), however, not all developers do.

Bests,

Sascha

Of course, sorry I meant because I wanted 4096 textures for my aircraft but I didn't want higher resolution textures in sceneries to degrade things so I resize them.

Archived