Auto Descent

Xsoctoz21

• Deputy Sheriffs

Hi,I wondered why not auto descent work in Airbus Extended?IRL auto descent work but not in AXE.

Do you mean that the Airbus should automatically switches into descent mode when reaching TOD?

In all Airbus manuals I have I have read that the descent mode must be initiated manually. But I might miss some manuals.

Tom.

Hi,I wondered why not auto descent work in Airbus Extended?IRL auto descent work but not in AXE.

No, in an Airbus you have to select managed or selected descent. And with selected descent you can also choose between open Des or V/S.

But as a first step you have to dial in a lower FL or Altidude right before you reach your ToD.

As the TOD marker approaches but is still a little way off , set the speed knob to 270 and pull it (give yourself time for the plane to slow to 270) then dial in the lower altitude (I must admit I simply dial in 2-3000 feet right to the ILS capture which always works for me even if it isn't what you should do in real life ) then as the TOD marker is just about to get to the centre push the knob for managed altitude. When the dot comes down to the middle of the altitude indicator indicating correct managed descent push to speed knob back into managed mode and both dots will then be bang on right down to the landing.

Sorry if it's too complicated for you :) but if I can do it anyone can ;)

The reason I manually reduce speed is to stop the 'increase drag' warning coming up if the dot comes down whilst the speed is still high. In managed mode the normal speed it reduces to by itself is around 270 anyway so simply reducing to this speed before entering managed descent makes things nice and smooth as the plane is already at the correct speed.

At the end of the day you do what suits you and my post was to assist the person who asked the original question on how to properly descend.

At the end of the day you do what suits you and my post was to assist the person who asked the original question on how to properly descend.

Why does one have to do with your improper way from the moment itself airbus has built a fully automated system
exactly to avoid burdening pilots more in order to flight safety to a greater extent. So the way you recommend to the
person who initialy asked is not the proper one and trust me nobody IRL pilot would follow this. So if you want your simulating
to come closer to the real world just do it by the right way.

friendly :)

Archived