Spoiler axis doesn't return to RET position

Adrijan

Ever since v1.10 update, if I am right, the spoiler axis won't return to neutral (retracted) position unless I press FSX key twice to extend/retract them.
I'm 100% sure it's not an issue with my joystick, because I tried 3 different axes, completely calibrated them and also added some null zone to be sure. Also, it worked good before v1.10.
Calibrating them with FSUIPC gets rid of this problem but creates many other additional problems like spoiler randomly gets half extended throughout the flight.

This also prevents me from arming the spoilers by right clicking unless I don't press the extend/retract spoiler button.

I don't know what to say on your reply except to tell you to read my post again. That's not what I was referring to.

When using an axis for the spoiler, as recommended by you, it won't return into fully retracted state (thus also preventing the spoilers from arming).

Thank you for your time spent trying to test/reply, though.

When using an axis for the spoiler, as recommended by you, it won't return into fully retracted state (thus also preventing the spoilers from arming).

I use a spoiler axis with zero trouble.

I use a spoiler axis with zero trouble.

Do you use FSUIPC to calibrate? If no, when your spoiler is fully retracted and you right click to arm it, will you hear the sound? I found that if it's not fully retracted and I try to arm it, the sound won't play but it will move.

• Aerosoft

I don't know what to say on your reply except to tell you to read my post again. That's not what I was referring to.

Thank you for your time spent trying to test/reply, though.

But that also works without any problems on my system.

By eliminating hardware trouble and perhaps, really perhaps, user configuration error.

As I said, I tried setting the null zone but it didn't work. Otherwise, with a software I calibrate my axes with, it will show nicely from 0 (min) to 255 (max).

I currently use a spoiler axis on my Saitek TQ... works absolutely fine. I configured it via FSX too, not even with FSUIPC or any other configuration setup. I turned the null zone to 0 and the sensitivity to maximum.

I am now 100% sure it's not a hardware issue at all.
I have tried 3 different axis that all show 0 as min and 255 as max in my calibration software, with no null zones, sensitivity to maximum and without calibrating with FSUIPC. It seems to be offset just by a very little, though when I assign it with FSUIPC it will work properly (although other issues are there with FSUIPC).

If needed, I can provide proof with video.

If needed, I can provide proof with video.

Adrijan,

I trust that you have an issue, but I need to be able to replicate it to even begin debugging it. Any specific situation it occurs? Did you try the spoilers on ground and in the air and see any difference?

Thank you very much!

Well, no specific situation really. It occurs in air and on ground the same way.
What I think might be the problem is the null zone, because the higher null zone I put, the more spoilers will be offset on "0" joystick axis position.
When I try to put the null zone as low as possible, it will still indicate "null zone = 1" in FSX, instead null zone "0", like this

7eFZrAm.jpg

And it really seems to be offset by a little when I press [/] twice.
I have no idea why would it be an issue for some, but for others not. Maybe because I have FSX: Acceleration and you have SP2?
Can I change this null zone setting manually within a configuration file of FSX?

As I said, I tried setting the null zone but it didn't work. Otherwise, with a software I calibrate my axes with, it will show nicely from 0 (min) to 255 (max).

Adrijan,

can you try calibrating without your software, via your OS or via FSX only?

Sorry, misunderstanding. The software I use to calibrate my joystick's axes is the OS default Windows 7 "Devices and printers" page... If I click on "display raw data" it will show the axis I use for spoiler going from 0 to 255 nicely.

Oli: Can you try putting a null zone of let's say, 5 or 10 in FSX for the axis, and see if it works then? Null zone seems to even make the problem worse for me.

Sorry, misunderstanding. The software I use to calibrate my joystick's axes is the OS default Windows 7 "Devices and printers" page... If I click on "display raw data" it will show the axis I use for spoiler going from 0 to 255 nicely.

Oli: Can you try putting a null zone of let's say, 5 or 10 in FSX for the axis, and see if it works then? Null zone seems to even make the problem worse for me.

Adrijan, I have a 'positive null zone' and it works for me.

O.k. then ...

What I thought of, before calibrating normally, was to move the lever only a portion of the maximum range: So the OS would not be aware of a small angle at the zero end and neither of another small angle at the maximum end.

Actually I haven't tried it this way yet, but maybe you want to test it: Result could be similar to offsetting the '0' you were asking for.

Now that looks strange to me:

Tested three different null zone settings (without re-calibrating after each change).

- small null zone: works fine

- no null zone (slider completely to the left): works fine, too

- a 'ridiculous' null zone (50% and more to the right): spoilers can be armed, even though they show partially extended both in the exterior view and on the F-CTL page when lever is in the 'retracted' position!

Scratch-head time ...

Wow, that does indeed seem very very strange.
Let me ask you, when you "arm" the spoilers, do you also hear the sound that the spoilers have armed? I found that, no matter which position spoilers are in, they can be armed but only when they are fully retracted it will actually work, and to confirm that they are "properly" armed, I have to hear the sound.

Another thing that came to my mind:

Some of the spoilers extend in turns, too, to aid the ailerons. So, if the ailerons are NOT neutral, (some) spoilers remain in the (partially) extended position.

Setting the ailerons to neutral may help and also could enable the spoilers to arm.

Wow, that does indeed seem very very strange.

Let me ask you, when you "arm" the spoilers, do you also hear the sound that the spoilers have armed? I found that, no matter which position spoilers are in, they can be armed but only when they are fully retracted it will actually work, and to confirm that they are "properly" armed, I have to hear the sound.

Yep: I hear the sound and the item in the T/O memo is cleared to 'green'. Also, the spoiler lever in the VC moves to the 'armed' position.

Another thing that came to my mind:

Some of the spoilers extend in turns, too, to aid the ailerons. So, if the ailerons are NOT neutral, (some) spoilers remain in the (partially) extended position.

Setting the ailerons to neutral may help and also could enable the spoilers to arm.

Hmm, interesting.

I wouldn't agree though, but I'll certainly try it. I don't agree simply because it will arm properly and work okay when I press the [/] button twice, thus returning it to "neutral" position.

Archived