UTC Time

Seph69

I am no airbus pilot in real life, though I wish I was, so I could be completely wrong here.

I believe that on the airbus in real life that at initial power up of the airbus that the clock reads 00:00 and when the GPS signal is received the time shown on the clock as well as on the MCDU is automatically set to the UTC time.

If this is not the case and there is a way to change the clock and MCDU time to local time perhaps someone can correct me here.

I suspect UTC is used around the world to avoid the issues with trying to work out ETAs when you have to deal with the international times and daylight savings times. For example I flew a 2 hour flight here in Australia and if I used local time then I would have arrived at the destination airport only an hour after my departure. This would get confusing which is why I believe only UTC time is shown.

You can see this on flightaware for example which uses local time where the duration of a flight is shown as 4 hours but the airbus lands 3 hours local time after takeoff due to differences in daylight saving time.

Roy

As far as I'm aware the local time can not be displayed in an (real) Airbus. Not completly sure if I'm not missing anything in the manual there...

You are right Emi,

The clock supplies:
1. Time (UTC)
2. Elapsed Time
3. Chronometer
4. Date

The clock provides UTS in ARINC 429 format to:

1. Centralised Fault Data Interface Unit
2. Flight Data Interface Unit
3. Flight Management & Guidance Computer.

From these computers the rest of the a/c systems are supplied.

• 3 weeks later...

In aviation JUST UTC time matter. Local time is completely avoided and don't make any benefit have it.

Most of people is accustomed with Wilco Airbus, as this one have the UTC and local time, and people think the real bus have it too, but no.

Only UTC is displayed in bus.

PMDG has Local Time on it's Boeing.

Let me tell... Don't take me wrong.

Airbus is Airbus, Boeing is Boeing.

and

Aerosoft is Aerosoft, PMDG is PMDG.

2 things different, like Ferrari and Porsche for example.

PMDG has Local Time on it's Boeing.

You don't get it, do you? There IS NO LOCAL TIME in the real Airbus, so we don't add it!

No disrespect to anyone here but if AS included local time in the excellent AXE the forums would be flooded with ppl commenting on how this is not the case IRL!! Sometimes you just can't win....

:huh:

Regards

Dave W

Archived