New Simulator... again

Guest pao

It seems that we'll have plenty of simulator in 2011-2012... he he !

"Sim Giants have reported to FlightSim.Com that they have started development of a new, stand-alone civilian flight simulator. Here is what they have told us:

OK, the following is the information I can supply at the moment.

Official development started on February 1, 2010 after half a year of lawyers, recruiting staff, designs etc.

It will be stand-alone simulator, no relations to MS flight simulator

It will contain SDK for third developers and artists

Release date is about late 2011

The simulator will support civilian airports and aircraft, amazing graphics, the best performance, multiplayer support and tons of options.

The simulator bundle will include few software for developers to develop their dreams and compile it for using with Sim Giants Simulator.

Head developer and owner is me, Dvir Cohen Julius

Sincerely,"

• Upvote 2

Even though I have not been impressed by Rise of Flight in term of graphics (ground textures look like cartoons), I am sure Aerosoft's one will be better.... especially if we can re-use their existing sceneries libraries.

Greg

• Upvote 1

What an asinine comment. How can you be `sure` about anything when one has only just been announced and the other is vapourware at this point? The ONLY valid comment at this time is "awaiting developments with interest...". Anything else is just puerile wishful thinking.

The market will not support three competing `all around` sims, if indeed that's what the Aerosoft and Sim Giants are going to offer. X-Plane already has the huge advantage of being an established product, and FSX is a very long way from being dead yet and probably has a lifespan that will go well beyond 2011 unless DX11 proves to be the solution to the frames/quality conundrum. Can't see how all these will make it to the finish line myself, but I await developments.

With interest... :rolleyes:

• Upvote 1

I am not sure that a stand alone sim announced by Sim Giants (who have produced what - 5 sceneries) equates to something we would wait for "with interest". This sounds like a marketing gimmick to me aimed at increasing awareness of Sim Giants. Call me a cynic.

a marketing gimmick to me aimed at increasing awareness of Sim Giants

I have exactly the same thoughts, Konrad.

Compare Microsoft, Aerosoft and SimGiants for example. Their human resources, company lifespan and their experience (proved with quality products).

That is telling me much on what I can and should expect from them.

Yes, of course, there are always: optimism, belief, elements of surprise, etc. Sure. But my enthusiasm here is close to zero.

There is a huge ease of ANNOUNCING things. But if and how all the hype turns into solid reality..., well, we know, don't we?

:)

Making a new serious flightsim is an enermous task. It might well be a smaller project, like some sims we saw before, concentrating on a small region or/and one type of aircraft. But many of us are used to what MFS has offered us for years. The whole Earth (which even got round in FSX), virtually all its elements (from car traffic to realistic live weather), and all kinds of aircraft you wish, supported by thousands of free and paid addons. To replace something like this, not only de facto but also (or maybe first of all) in our minds, will be very very hard. At least I'm speaking for myself.

Just my two eurocents.

There is a huge ease of ANNOUNCING things. But if and how all the hype turns into solid reality..., well, we know, don't we?

:)

Yes indeed, we have seen a bit of that now, have we not :D:D

My understanding is that this supposed sim will be PC and Mac so that means no DirectX so that means useless on PC. This "flightsim" - should it happen - will end up being an ipad2 app. Considering x-plane on the iphone outsells x-plane on the desktop by 3 or 4 to 1 this could be a half decent move. Tilt left/right to turn, tilt forward/back to go up and down. Nice...

My understanding is that this supposed sim will be PC and Mac so that means no DirectX so that means useless on PC. This "flightsim" - should it happen - will end up being an ipad2 app. Considering x-plane on the iphone outsells x-plane on the desktop by 3 or 4 to 1 this could be a half decent move. Tilt left/right to turn, tilt forward/back to go up and down. Nice...

Konrad, will that require a dedicated version of fsuipc? I mean left right up and down seems so complicated. :P

Joking apart, Aerosoft is researching the potential, and the possibility of having to spend a lot of money and effort on this, so I look forward with "Interest" to what may happen in a few years, as for the rest, a lot less "Interest".

In the meantime, anyone know if the i-phone is powerful enough to take on fsx with 75GB of add-ons and all sliders maxed out????? or should I get it upgraded?????

In the meantime, anyone know if the i-phone is powerful enough to take on fsx with 75GB of add-ons and all sliders maxed out????? or should I get it upgraded?????

No, but a not too distant future version of X-Plane for the desktop may just be :blink:

There is some really good stuff being done there.

• Aerosoft

My understanding is that this supposed sim will be PC and Mac so that means no DirectX so that means useless on PC.

That fact also bothers me. I have yet to see a game app that looks seriously good on multiple platforms. Simple fact is that DirectX (11) is years and year ahead of any multiplatform way of coding. So I have serious doubt it could look as good as FS2004. But we'll see. I am as surprised as everybody else that a very small company was able to gather several millions dollars.

• Aerosoft

No, but a not too distant future version of X-Plane for the desktop may just be :blink:

There is some really good stuff being done there.

I hope so. We tried to convert some of our scenery to X-plane and right now it just can not handle the complexity. A shame, we would really like to go into that market and it would not be too hard if the sim could handle it.

They could use stuff like Cider to port it over to the Mac. There are many PC ports of games that work on Macintosh and are really more beautiful then FS2004... Perhaps people specifically referred to simulators, but take a look at stuff like Bioshock, SPORE, Call of Duty 4 and Quake 4: the Mac versions really don't look worse than their PC counterparts.

I hope so. We tried to convert some of our scenery to X-plane and right now it just can not handle the complexity. A shame, we would really like to go into that market and it would not be too hard if the sim could handle it.

X-plane perplexes the heck out of me. The amount of disk storage required for full installation of the whole world might lead one to expect an absolutely stupendous amount of scenery complexity, yet in fact X-plane consistently (for me) falls well below FSX par for the graphical depiction of the world. (Airports, cities..... everything!!)

What the heck is all of that data for?

I keep wondering what we would have if Orbx or Aerosoft came up with a world scenery that required that much space........

I played a demo of tom clancys HAWX or something. Although it wasnt a Flight sim,more of an arcade combat flight sim. The details and frame rates were astounding with so much else going on ie tons of other fighter jets/heat seeking missiles,tanks,battleships. The battle was set in a highly detailed brazil and for anyone who asnt played the game, its worth trying the demo just to see what a quality grafix engine can produce.

Well if this challenge is not taken up by Laminar Research, then I reckon it would be an opportunity lost.

One of the things that do it for me in X-Plane is the absolute fluidity of the sim. My machine is pretty much middle of the road now, but compared to the experience I have in FSX with the micro-stutters etc, X-Plane is as smooth as glass.

I too have issues with some of the default textures etc in X-P, but given where they are at version 9.41, I reckon that the upcoming version ten is going to be pretty awesome.

Cheers,

I was surprised to find out how much Microsoft payed alone for the GeoDatabase.... given that it's barely used. I don't think the Sim Giant guys have thought it through... the code is quite honestly nothing compared to the mountains you have to move in other areas. heck if I was trying to build a sim I'd setup shop where ever the cheapest labour rates are for graphic artists. Plus the multiplatform thing is a little misguided.. I'm guessing the first thing any 3rd party addon developer would want is the ability to use the windows and directx apis...something that's definitely holding x-plane back.. and the developers is too much of a mac guy, especially now, to ever change that. That's why even if it doesn't come out in 2012 I'll wait for the Aerosoft one... something has to run native on my PC.