Topic: What do you NOT use in FSX?

• Aerosoft

• I never done any of the training flights in FSX.
  • I used the 'learning center' perhaps two time in 4 years.
  • I just found out there is something called Pilot Records with photos and rewards

and I know I am not the only one. For anything inside FSX I have never used and that you can list I will give one free download.

I never used the Pilot Records, the Replay function, creating custom Weather (I use only real weather), I hardly use the learning Center, becauser there are better sites on the Web where you can learn. Maybe I am missing something now, but if I will post here later

• I never done any of the training flights in FSX.
  • I used the 'learning center' perhaps two time in 4 years.
  • I just found out there is something called Pilot Records with photos and rewards

and I know I am not the only one. For anything inside FSX I have never used and that you can list I will give one free download.

I do not like using the weather within FSX. As for you I bet that you have not flown any missions.

• Aerosoft

I do not like using the weather within FSX. As for you I bet that you have not flown any missions.

Weather as in real weather or in weather themes (I use both a lot)? And I flown nearly all missions in FSX. Almost all of them are GREAT fun, highly recommended, people who have not tried them are really missing out on a whole new option in flight simming.

• Upvote 3

I've never used:

- the startpage (window with "live from fsinsider.com"...)

- 'allow changes' checkbox on the FSX missions page

- settings: change the music from FSX01 to FSX02-FSX08

- settings: G-Effects

- force feedback (are there still joysticks on the market?)

Albrecht

Hello, i would like to admit that replay function is for many peaple important in some points: 

- The most important is, when you are learning to land. You can see where you done mistake and gett better / like pull up nose sooner-later etc.

- Can you imagine youtube without fsx videos? I can´t :)

• Upvote 2

I never use the 'home' page. It's actually there, and provides a link to the aces website, among others. I just found out about it.. it's utterly useless to the general simmer.

Also, i've never used the 'contacts' button, since i never fly online (maybe i should give it a try though, but i'm not so crazy about that whole gamespy hassle).

btw.. Matthijs, different subject, but if you need music in your new sim, i'd be glad to be of service. Check out www.moonbase69.nl for some samples, and especially this piece of music, which people tell me makes them feel like they're flying :)

Oh and im sorry. I forgot to tell what i dont use.

Im not using the weather theme creator. For that i have real environmnet extreme ^_^

And pilots records... Yea, for somebody its useless but i like to see that i made 400 landings, have flown 80 hours in ifr conditions etc.

Weather as in real weather or in weather themes (I use both a lot)? And I flown nearly all missions in FSX. Almost all of them are GREAT fun, highly recommended, people who have not tried them are really missing out on a whole new option in flight simming.

You've got it pegged, Mr. Kok! Definitely some fun to be had there. :D

On topic: I don't use the start page.

This might not apply to FSX but in FS9 I have never used:

-the different weather themes(i.e. Clear, etc.) I usually set my own weather

-the manual multi-player configuration (I usually use VATSIM and auto connect via FSINN)

-"getting started" tab video. I only watched it after simming for over 3 yrs.

I do not use the flight analysis. But not because I don't want to. Because it is so limited!

I do not use the training because it is limited in the ways that the lesson integrates with the flight. Again another place for improvement, not for saving work.

While you're counting what people do not use, I want to say that the replay option needs to stay for anyone using it as a learning tool.

Taking away functionality seems to be an odd endeavor, for such a functionally limited product as FSX. No offense to FSX.

I understand it in general, but at first glance on reading the topic, I laughed out loud!

Maybe there are things that should not be included in the base product, but only when thinking of it as a framework that facilitates a flight simulator and the ecosystem surrounding it.

Just make sure that an add-on does not have to fight the design in order to add any removed functionality, in a manner that does not limit the functionality once added.

Thanks for listening.

I have never used the Learning Center, the replay function, the failures options, the flight planning tool (use another one).

Neither did I, maybe once in the last years since FS came with this option. In general I like failures but I do not like count down option where you know what's coming. Rather I am challenged every once in a while when FSPassengers produces a failure. So, I'd definitely turn this option on if it was based on flight time if you don't do regular checkups, 'behaviour' like hard landing/having flown through severe turbulence and ultimately real 'wear and tear' of the aircraft.

Phil

Replay is nice to have, I use it a lot, but it was much better before in fs2004, I really liked the possiblity to place the tower where I wanted to watch from.

The replay in FSX is just full of bugs in my opinion, we got all these cool views, but is it smooth? nope.. It's very choppy stutterywacko.gif

The fly-by view is not any good, and you don't get to place the camera where you would like to have it either, I have seen much better alternatives/implementations in other fightsims even older(fs2004)..sad.gif

Actually I use all pages in fsx sometimes, heh.. blush.gif allways nice to have options/features, as poster "nolanh" has said.

also I agree about the learning center and training flights, I don't use it because it is so limited. That is why I asked for better training-tutorials for all aspects

Pilots records, is that for only for fsx missions?? if , then I don't use that

Aerosoft, what if you come up with a list of things you think about keeping, and a list which you are thinking of removing ??rolleyes.gif then we could say "no", or "yes" more easily LOLlaugh.gif

So I could actually sum up

that I dont use:

failures, pilot records, flight recorder, learning center, training flights, because they are so limited, and I don't feel like I am gettting something from them.

I Don't like "dry teory text-book" reading that much..you seerolleyes.gif

• Upvote 1

I think you shoul differ from the reason. There are unused features because of beeing bad developped. And there are features wich are simply senseless.

To first categroy I would assign:

1. Pilots school. Nice idea but too linear for someone who wants to learn and simply wants to retry an exercise.

2. Flight analysis. Nice to have but senseless in this form. Better would be an 3D-Analysis with an minimized measure.

3. The Help pages. Often tried but never found the infos I searched. In most cases there are explainations about the key assignments in fsx. But not really technical infos.

4. Never used the Startpage of the FSX. There are no interesting ínformations.

To the second category I would assign:

1. Pictue gallery. Sorry, but who uses this feature. Everyone goes to the Personal Data folder and looks for his pictured made in the fsx.

Greets Marcel

• Upvote 1

1. Pictue gallery. Sorry, but who uses this feature. Everyone goes to the Personal Data folder and looks for his pictured made in the fsx.

You have to remember, the majority of people who buy flight simulators are only somewhat interested in it. Many of these are not advanced computer users and, if not for the gallery, wouldn't know where to look for their pictures. As Mr. Kok said (different thread), the casual market isn't usually on these forums and so we aren't likely to hear what they use or don't use.

That said, I don't use it myself. :rolleyes:

Just my two cents.

P.S. I also don't use failures (simply because I don't know how to fly FS aircraft well enough without them... Yet :blush:).

I would like to use the help centre and used some of the training flights, but seldom use(d) the flight analysis, the repaly function, never used the failures, mulitplayer and most of the outside views. I only use the outside view (F11) to follow the aircraft while taxying and to view the surrounding landscape.

You have to remember, the majority of people who buy flight simulators are only somewhat interested in it. Many of these are not advanced computer users and, if not for the gallery, wouldn't know where to look for their pictures. As Mr. Kok said (different thread), the casual market isn't usually on these forums and so we aren't likely to hear what they use or don't use.

That said, I don't use it myself. rolleyes.gif

Just my two cents.

P.S. I also don't use failures (simply because I don't know how to fly FS aircraft well enough without them... Yet blush.gif).

I kow what you mean. But a simple link to the Folder would be enough and wouldn't take such a long time like the internal preview.

I am neither a casual simmer nor an expert. I am something different, and I think I am not the only one: I am a converted gamer. I always had a faible for sandbox games that allowed me to do things I wanted to do in the way I wanted to do (like some nice computer roleplaying games - Oblivion or Baldur's Gate). The reason I started with FSX was that I had the whole world as playfield. And thus I am still more interested in 5m meshes and detailed airports, in real weather and good ATC than in complex planes.

So I am not using planes I can't walk around in less than 90 seconds *g*

Flying is fun because there is the earth beneath me. :-)

Hallo!

This is Fs9, NOT FsX, and it is not annything I dont use, it is just something I want Aerosoft to make better!

The one thing I think is VERY annoying in FS9 is the way it handles the headingbug, alltimeterbug, radioknob etc.

Since I have nothing else than a joystick and my mouse, I will just have to click or use the mousewheel on the correct side of the knob. That I have no problem with at all, but the problem comes when I want to change, say the headingbug with 10 degrees. Then I click 10 times with my mouse, but since fs9 has this 'knob-acceleration' making it jump over values when you 'rotate' the knob a long way, it will change maybe 14-15 degrees..

Then I must hit the (very small!!) other side of the knob and carefully press so it doesnt make into lightspeed again, but still fast enough so the airplane doesnt turn over my desired heading..

Sorry for the Swedainlishtongue.gif

Victor

Hi Folks

and I know I am not the only one.

There are only 7 options on the GUI menu,

and as a beta-tester,

you'd never accessed one of those 7 ? :o

e.g.

Never looked at your logbook ?

Stunned. :lol:

And I flown nearly all missions in FSX.

Almost all of them are GREAT fun, highly recommended,

people who have not tried them are really missing out on a whole new option in flight simming.

Probably both -

the greatest innnovation in FSX,

and also sadly the least used.

For anything inside FSX I have never used

and that you can list

I will give one free download.

How about -

- FSX Kiosk Mode ?

- Use mouse as yoke ?

ATB

Paul

- Home

- Contacts

- Multiplayer

- "Launch flight with ATC window open" , what's the point in having an option for that? :blink:

- Logbook

- Failures

- "Search add-on scenery"

- Learning centre

THE MUSIC!

Nick

'knob-acceleration'

I second that, that's extremely annoying. Even some real (glass) systems have such a feature, and it's annoying there as well.

It's actually kind of difficult to think of things you don't use. So I'm going to comment on some of the things already mentioned, for what it's worth.

• Learning Center: Used a few times, just to find it didn't answer my question. Much too limited.
  • Tutorial flights and training flights/flight school: Did some of it to check it out, but wouldn't use it again. Again, much too limited. And besides, I don't really have the need myself.
  • Pilot records, picture gallery, trophies: I keep my own paper logbook, and that's all I need. So thanks, but no, thanks.
  • Replay: I use it for taking screenshots after the fact sometimes, but could do very well without. However, this is a handy feature in a training environment.
  • Custom weather: Use it all the time.
  • Missions: After checking out one or two, I never used them again.
  • Failures and malfunction: This aspect needs to be vastly expanded, in my opinion, to become useful. The existing options in FSX are so ridiculously basic that I hardly use them at all. Give me a pitot tube failure mode that doesn't instantly drop IAS to zero, for example. Have you ever seen the malfunctions options in X-Plane? It goes as far as randomly failing individual nav aids (yes, the ground stations) based on a certain MTBF...
  • Start/home page: Huh, what's that? Never seen before...
  • Music, as well as interface click sounds: I only used the OFF switch - once. ;)
  • Flight analysis: Would be handy in a training environment if vastly expanded.
  • Flight planner: Other then for programming the GPS, I don't need it, because I do my flight planning the old-fashioned way, with charts, pencil and paper.
  • Tower mode. There are separate games for that (but no really good one unfortunately).

Now for some things not mentioned before:

• The default airliners. Not so much because I don't like airliners (I don't), but because they are way to basic. But that's just me.
    • Flight videos. But the concept might be interesting if the format is open (and standard) enough that they can be analyzed by third party tools.
    • Virtual cabins, over-the-wing views, and working toilet flushes.
    • The virtual kneeboard. I have my own hardware one.
    • Slew mode. Well, actually, I abuse it as a free camera mode sometimes, or to quickly reposition the aircraft to the other end of the ramp, because I know of no better way to do that.
    • Flying tips. For pros it's unnecessary, and for newbies it's too limited.
    • The 'detect crash' options. When I crash (into the ground at least), I do want the sim to detect it, but I don't want it to reset. I'd like to be able to switch to an outside view and look at my smoking plane lying upside-down in a ditch. Because a controlled crash (aka. emergency landing) might have been the point of the exercise, and I want to judge the result. And no, I'm not looking for detailed damage visualizations - the smoke is just the sim's way of saying 'you broke the airplane, your engine won't start again, and besides, you're probably dead.'
    • The hovering hoops or squares you can have drawn along an ILS glide path.

Judith