Aerosoft A-321/320 project

I am really curious how hard the touchdown is on autoland, since most FS autolands (also the complex ones,DA F100, Wilco B737 etc.) slam you right into the runway at > 300 ft/min. In real life the autoland touchdown is very smooth, so i heard.

Guest inbrekers1

I am really curious how hard the touchdown is on autoland, since most FS autolands (also the complex ones,DA F100, Wilco B737 etc.) slam you right into the runway at > 300 ft/min. In real life the autoland touchdown is very smooth, so i heard.

Usually there is no noticeable difference between auto land and manual landing. If you have ever landed somewhere in bad visibility conditions you may have experienced auto land already. You just didn't notice.

Usually there is no noticeable difference between auto land and manual landing. If you have ever landed somewhere in bad visibility conditions you may have experienced auto land already. You just didn't notice.

depends on how there flare and roll out is programmed, I still struggle to visually judge how low to the ground I am in FSX so all my landings are hard lol:lol:

The whole "autoland" thing is highly affected by the wind.

Strong crosswinds sometimes make autoland impossible in real aircrafts.

(And it´s even not allowed to use autoland under certain conditions).

And i think FSX can´t do it better than a real autopilot...

Timo

Guest inbrekers1

depends on how there flare and roll out is programmed, I still struggle to visually judge how low to the ground I am in FSX so all my landings are hard lol:lol:

That's why they have designed the system of call-outs. In FS it is really hard to see where the ground is. You are completely right.

On landing you should always listen to the call-outs and watch your gauges. Otherwise you will screw up a lot.

@Mr.Kok, I hope that the autoland feature will be fully functional because it really adds a lot of realism.

... I still struggle to visually judge how low to the ground I am in FSX so all my landings are hard lol:lol:

I always "zoom in" on final approach (when you don´t need your ILS indication anymore..) (e.g. factor 2.0 with widescreen enabled in the FSX.cfg)

so you have better perspective on the runway with much more real dimensions...

Timo

PS: The eyepoint is anyway the "stumbling block" because most developers ignore the correct eyepoint in order to have an optimized view on the panel.

I always "zoom in" on final approach (when you don´t need your ILS indication anymore..) (e.g. factor 2.0 with widescreen enabled in the FSX.cfg)

Timo

PS: The eyepoint is anyway the "stumbling block" because most developers ignore the correct eyepoint in order to have an optimized view on the panel.

I think I'm just a crap pilot lol!

That's why they have designed the system of call-outs. In FS it is really hard to see where the ground is. You are completely right.

On landing you should always listen to the call-outs and watch your gauges. Otherwise you will screw up a lot.

@Mr.Kok, I hope that the autoland feature will be fully functional because it really adds a lot of realism.

Hopefully when you hear 'retard retard' the shift of inertia should cause a slight nose pitch up and if you hold there (and close your eyes) it usually makes for a soft touch down but it depends on the dynamics of the programming.:rolleyes:

• Aerosoft

Timo

Ahhh but that's something you can't get right. We use the two balls on the center window pillar. So we know our viewpoint is exactly where Airbus wants it to be. But your eyes in real life really see things different then on a screen.

Take for example the simple fact that any vertical obstacle in your view looks thinner in real like then it looks in the sim, even if we got it dead right. That's because you got two eyes can partly look 'behind' obstacles. But when we do that in the sim to make it be more realistic in use people start measuring vertical and horizontally shaped objects and tell us we do shitty modeling. As I say, something you simply can not get right.

Ahhh but that's something you can't get right. We use the two balls on the center window pillar. So we know our viewpoint is exactly where Airbus wants it to be. But your eyes in real life really see things different then on a screen.

Take for example the simple fact that any vertical obstacle in your view looks thinner in real like then it looks in the sim, even if we got it dead right. That's because you got two eyes can partly look 'behind' obstacles. But when we do that in the sim to make it be more realistic in use people start measuring vertical and horizontally shaped objects and tell us we do #####ty modeling. As I say, something you simply can not get right.

Thats right! Two eyes is what gives you your perception of distance and until FSX becomes 3D I'm stuck with hard landings! Can we blow the tyres on this Bus? (Joking)  :rolleyes:

Yes, you´re absolutely right, i have seen the same eyepoint-discussion on very different forums

for different aircrafts.

And i have to correct me:

not :...because most developers ignore the correct eyepoint in order to have an optimized view on the panel....

but: ...because most developers MUST ignore the correct eyepoint in order to have an optimized view on the panel...

Timo

• Aerosoft

Believe me, I have been on the jumpseat on some bone jarring autolands. A perfect pilot on a perfect aircraft in perfect weather might get it smooth but there is something to be said for getting an aircraft down with some vspeed. You know it is down (spoken with experience by somebody who ones thought he made the smoothest landing ever done in a Cub and then found out it was at least 3 feet off the ground), you know your wheels will not slip when you start giving it some brakes and you are sure the system (spoilers etc) are not messing up.

What some pilots refer to as a 'positive landing' is not a bad thing. As long as the aircraft does not bounce back up it is in fact a good landing if you are on a short runway or conditions are not ideal. It's a common mistake of simpilots to stall the aircraft onto the runway. Nice when it works but a total bitch if you are flaring 3 feet too high (the Cub was fine, my ladyfriend passenger however decided to take public transport home, never saw her again).

Yes, you´re absolutely right, i have seen the same eyepoint-discussion on very different forums

for different aircrafts.

And i have to correct me:

not :...because most developers ignore the correct eyepoint in order to have an optimized view on the panel....

but: ...because most developers MUST ignore the correct eyepoint in order to have an optimized view on the panel...

Timo

This is why I like to hear the wheels screech on landings, I know its not real life but its an audible cue that you have touched down which helps in the simulation world!

Edit: Ive never had a smooth touchdown at my home airport EGNM! Type leeds/Bradford airport into youtube and you will see why! Concorde blew all its tyres there making a landing!

Believe me, I have been on the jumpseat on some bone jarring autolands. A perfect pilot on a perfect aircraft in perfect weather might get it smooth but there is something to be said for getting an aircraft down with some vspeed. You know it is down (spoken with experience by somebody who ones thought he made the smoothest landing ever done in a Cub and then found out it was at least 3 feet off the ground), you know your wheels will not slip when you start giving it some brakes and you are sure the system (spoilers etc) are not messing up.

What some pilots refer to as a 'positive landing' is not a bad thing. As long as the aircraft does not bounce back up it is in fact a good landing if you are on a short runway or conditions are not ideal. It's a common mistake of simpilots to stall the aircraft onto the runway. Nice when it works but a total bitch if you are flaring 3 feet too high (the Cub was fine, my ladyfriend passenger however decided to take public transport home, never saw her again).

Right, it´s sometimes even necessary to make a hard landing on wet runways to avoid aqua planing of the wheels!

Because remember: 80% percent of the braking action is made by the wheels, only 20% by the reversers...

Anyway:

Everyone already knows the definition of a "good" landing

is one from which you can walk away.

But very few know the definition of a "great" landing.

It's one after which you can use the airplane another time.

PS:

What's the difference between God and airbus pilots?

God doesn't think he's an airbus pilot!

Regards,

Timo

Right, it´s sometimes even necessary to make a hard landing on wet runways to avoid aqua planing of the wheels!

Because remember: 80% percent of the braking action is made by the wheels, only 20% by the reversers...

Anyway:

Everyone already knows the definition of a "good" landing

is one from which you can walk away.

But very few know the definition of a "great" landing.

It's one after which you can use the airplane another time.

PS:

What's the difference between God and airbus pilots?

God doesn't think he's an airbus pilot!

Regards,

Timo

LOL 

When this airbus is released lets organize a competition for the best landings?  :rolleyes:

Autoland works fine now... even calls me a retard.

:lol: That's the funniest thing I've read all day, Mathijs... I never quite looked at it that way! ROFL!

But, seriously, this is the best 'Bus I've seen, and I have to say: This will be the first add-on aircraft I buy! (Yup, I've yet to purchase an add-on aircraft, but this (in the airline cat.) and the L-39 (in the GA cat.) will be the only aircraft I buy until AFS 2012 is released!)

Sorry this is from my Boeing 738 Experience in a Level-D-Sim in Lunfthansa Flihgt Center at Berlin Schönefeld.

The Instructor explains for the Bobby. The better one is the firm and taff Landing in the TDZ. The smooth one down 30% of the Runway is the bad one...maybe not for the pax. With Flaps 30 the Bobby has a lot of upforce and feels light a sailing plane.

Greets

Stefan