Preview: VFR Germany 3 - South

Sasa

I know you'd all like to see your own personal favourite areas... and I also know that there are people who say this, that or the other view of Germany is good or bad or not lifelike.

The screenshots you see most here show "ideal" VFR conditions and the terrain looks all clean and bright. ;) But...

I have flown over the countryside many many times and VFR Germany will be really attractive to you VFR flyers. Over my many years as a helicopter mechanic and engineer I found that Germany is not really that often under a clear blue sky. Even in summer there is a haze layer that makes the countryside look like it's under heavy cloud once you go higher. Of course, as a tech and leftstick flier I got to know Germany more like this...

...flying down the Kocher river Valley and along the Neckar river towards the Rhine. Even though VFR Germany will bring you beautiful photographic scenery, I am sure that many of you will really enjoy Germany in simulated real weather conditions from a helicopter point of view.

hubiperspektive1.jpg

hubiperspektive2.jpg

hubiperspektive3.jpg

hubiperspektive4.jpg

hubiperspektive5.jpg

But however you fly VFR Germany, you are in for a big treat.

Does anyone on the VFR Germany Dev team have FSDreamscapes 5m mesh for Germany installed? If so, any comments? I presume that few of the dev team are using FSX default (76m) mesh for the Alps?! FSGlobal2008/FSGenesis both have 19m mesh for the Alps...

Yes, I do. But we deliver our own 38m/pix mesh terrain for the German Alps (by Jonathan de Ferranti). But FS dreamscapes certainly doesn't look bad at all neither.

Any chance to 3D model parts of the Zugspitizbahn? i.e. the top and bottom stations and the cable towers? That would be really cool! :rolleyes:

Nope, sorry. The area is too large for so much detail. But there's nothing that couldn't be added with a little freeware addon. Feel free and read the FSX SDKs. ;)

Grüsse

Sascha

Does anyone on the VFR Germany Dev team have FSDreamscapes 5m mesh for Germany installed? If so, any comments? I presume that few of the dev team are using FSX default (76m) mesh for the Alps?! FSGlobal2008/FSGenesis both have 19m mesh for the Alps...

Hi Konrad, here are some pics from the "Zugspitze"-area with FSDreamscape Germany activ. This mesh is absolutely great and works fine with VFR-GER-3.

vfger3_54.jpg

vfger3_57.jpg

vfger3_59.jpg

EDIT: the brown colored landscape in the background of my first screenshot is "Austria pro X"...

Hi Markus

Thank you for posting these screenshots. Needless to say that it looks really good!

Yep, I know the brown of Austria ProX very well. If possible could someone from the Dev team who also has Switzerland ProX installed get some shots over the Bodensee where these 3 (Swiss Pro, Austria Pro & VFR DE South) meet up?

On a slightly different topic the VFR DE series does not contain night textures for well documented reasons but it is apparently possible to use UTX EU night lighting. Obviously default FSX roads would not be correct. Any experience with and/or comments about this? Flew along the Dutch border and the edge of VFR DE North and UTX and the roads match up perfectly - very perfectly in fact from what I could see.

Konrad

Yep, I know the brown of Austria ProX very well. If possible could someone from the Dev team who also has Switzerland ProX installed get some shots over the Bodensee where these 3 (Swiss Pro, Austria Pro & VFR DE South) meet up?

Hi Konrad have a look at VFR-Flightsimmer, where I've posted much more pics, even from the Bodensee-area:

http://forum.vfr-flightsimmer.de/viewtopic...sc&start=21

One can say that the colors from VFR-Ger 3 to CH pro match very good, but Austria pro looks horrible in this area ;).

On a slightly different topic the VFR DE series does not contain night textures for well documented reasons but it is apparently possible to use UTX EU night lighting. Obviously default FSX roads would not be correct. Any experience with and/or comments about this? Flew along the Dutch border and the edge of VFR DE North and UTX and the roads match up perfectly - very perfectly in fact from what I could see.

VFR-Ger 3 and UTX Europe match very good, specialy at night! :)

Thanks for the link - some great shots there. I am very impressed with the way Swiss Pro blends with VFR DE 3 - is Swiss Pro also at 1.5m per pixel res? Austria is always going to stand out here until someone perhaps updates the whole of Austria ProX with orthophotos. Some of the Austrian cities are already photorealistic but it would sure be nice to have the whole country done for the ultimate Alpine flying experience... VFR Innsbruck will certainly help.

Konrad

• Aerosoft
I know you'd all like to see your own personal favourite areas... and I also know that there are people who say this, that or the other view of Germany is good or bad or not lifelike.

The screenshots you see most here show "ideal" VFR conditions and the terrain looks all clean and bright. ;) But...

I have flown over the countryside many many times and VFR Germany will be really attractive to you VFR flyers. Over my many years as a helicopter mechanic and engineer I found that Germany is not really that often under a clear blue sky. Even in summer there is a haze layer that makes the countryside look like it's under heavy cloud once you go higher. Of course, as a tech and leftstick flier I got to know Germany more like this...

...flying down the Kocher river Valley and along the Neckar river towards the Rhine. Even though VFR Germany will bring you beautiful photographic scenery, I am sure that many of you will really enjoy Germany in simulated real weather conditions from a helicopter point of view.

But however you fly VFR Germany, you are in for a big treat.

Ahh so true, most of the time the world is rather gray and only things below you got color. I love how FSX handles this, so much better then FS2004. The problem is that most of the simmers are used to a two decades of Disney cartoon style coloration in FS.