VNAV question

Jim610

I noticed whilst watching a real world CRJ cockpit video that the VNAV provided a ROD prediction field on the MFD VNAV data block.  See attached.

Any plans to provide this functionality in the future?

Please login to display this image.

4 hours ago, Mathijs Kok said:

Mainly because it is rather rare in CRJ's. We could not find any pilot that assists us who ever used it. 

I have stated multiple times since the original FSX CRJ X that my company has it as the default setup for the PF... There have been multiple other pilots on these forums also stating they use it every flight. It is a very useful tool and an integral part of the VNAV MFD window. It is such a shame it is still not implemented after many years, especially because the data is already available in the FMS and it should be a fairly trivial matter to also have it displayed in its proper place on the MFD.

• Upvote 3

• Aerosoft
22 hours ago, CRJay said:

I have stated multiple times since the original FSX CRJ X that my company has it as the default setup for the PF... There have been multiple other pilots on these forums also stating they use it every flight. It is a very useful tool and an integral part of the VNAV MFD window. It is such a shame it is still not implemented after many years, especially because the data is already available in the FMS and it should be a fairly trivial matter to also have it displayed in its proper place on the MFD.

Trivial? You are very much mistaken. 

And yes I know your company has it as a default set-up and yes it is s very useful tool for sure, I am sure every CRJ pilot would like to have it on his aircraft. The simple fact however is that not many airlines buy or lease CRJs with VNAV as you know much better then I do.  As far as my data goes, only 7% of CRJ's are currently equipped with VNAV and it has in fact gone down. But that data comes from a company who maintains these systems and I gladly bow to better data!

But before replying, why don't you watch this video... 

There is some news there you might like.

• Thanks 1
  • Upvote 1

I think you are mistaking one thing for something else.

This rate of descent display is not part of the "coupled VNAV" option on that is default on CRJ1000s I believe, and a factory option on a small percentage of smaller CRJ models, which also includes the VNAV button on the MCP. The display of the required ROD is a default function of the VNAV MFD window and part of the ADVISORY VNAV that is on every CRJ from the CRJ100/200 to the CRJ1000.

If you switch on the VNAV MFD window, you should get that rate of descent display, period. And once again, this data/variable is available and displayed in the FMS in your addon. For any half decent developer it should be relatively trivial to display that same data in a different location as well. Should not require a major rewrite.

Go ask your supporting pilots to use the VNAV MFD window for fun and see if it shows rate of descent or not. It has very little requirements, just needs the proper cruising altitude set up and needs altitude restrictions along the route.

• Upvote 4

Well Mathijs!

At minute 45 of the video you linked, it contradicted what you told me in your answer to my initial post!

Which is is it?  "coming with the next update" or "not planned"

• Upvote 1

• Aerosoft
7 hours ago, Jim610 said:

Well Mathijs!

At minute 45 of the video you linked, it contradicted what you told me in your answer to my initial post!

Which is is it?  "coming with the next update" or "not planned"

Indeed it did, I was not informed that Hans allowed us to share that information. our bad. 

The CRJ is quite close to perfection. Hopefully Hartman will be able to implement further improvements after the ATR-project; I would guess that the process of working directly and for the MSFS developers will bring improvements to the platform, that also the CRJ will have benefits from.

• 4 months later...
On 1/13/2023 at 9:39 AM, Mathijs Kok said:

Mainly because it is rather rare in CRJ's. We could not find any pilot that assists us who ever used it. 

If you would like some assistance I offer my services. I fly for a carrier with a fleet of <100 CRJs and they are all equipped with VNAV.

• Thanks 1
  • Upvote 5

On 1/13/2023 at 7:39 AM, Mathijs Kok said:

ROD (MFD VNAV selected)is simply repeated from the Vertical Speed Required tangent to each waypoint found on the DIR page.

This IS on the CRJ regardless of VNAV. You will notice on the Right Hand FMS I have the DIR page displayed to verify the Vertical Speed Required on the RNAV approach into Omaha 14R.

I flew the CRJ for 5 years and would have loved the VNAV feature and certainly enjoy it in the sim.

Please login to display this image.

• Like 3

• 3 weeks later...