Joystick Input

Hi guys,

can you change the joystick input in MSFS from RAW to DirectInput, like you can do in P3D as well.

Thanks and greetings
-Uwe

Hi Mathijs,

thanks for your answer. I am using vJoy (virtual Joystick) among others, which you can set up in multiple instances. Only DirectInput (P3D / XPlane 11)  recognizes these instances correctly. With Raw Input only the first (last ?) instance is recognized correctly. The others are zombies in MSFS and also in P3D with Raw Input. Sigh, I hope I can manage with a single vJoy instance here in MSFS. 

Greetings
-Uwe

• Aerosoft

Hi Uwe,

I confirm what Mathijs said.

Regarding vJoy, it works pretty well with MSFS.

I use it in this tutorial for instance: 

Hope it helps. 

Best regards.

Hi SimWare,

thank you very much for your contribution, very much appreciated.

I may need to describe my problem a little better.

I have the TM HOTAS Warthog, which has only two thrust levers. In order to be able to operate three or four engine aircraft, I install the vJoy and enable two instances. vJoy1 operates for thrustlevers 1 - 4, and vJoy2 for reversers 1 - 4. My feeder for vJoy picks up the thrustmaster (two thrustlevers), calculates the output for vJoy1 (axes 1 - 4) from these inputs. So that my program knows which aircraft is currently loaded, how many engines it has, if reverse is possible, what is the maximum % thrust for reverse, etc. the program communicates with the simulator via SimConnect. If I as pilot request reverse thrust, the program checks some conditions like the aircraft can reverse, the thrust lever(s) in the cabin are in position idle, wheels have ground contact and so on. If all this is given, the program switches the output direction vJoy1 (Thrust) to vJoy2 (Reverse).  The aircraft will decelerate more or less depending on the thrust lever position(s).
This works great in P3D, but only with DirectInput active. 

Now I want to port to MSFS.
Assignments in MSFS from vJoy1 work fine.

Assignments in MSFS from vJoy2 result in an MSFS error message that reads something like this
"You are attempting to assign input to an unselected device."

That's where my hope came from, that MSFS could also be changed to DirectInput. Apparently it doesn't.

Thanks for reading
-Uwe

PS.: P3D can't cleanly tell the vJoy instances apart in Raw Input either.
PPS. sorry for my DeepL English

• Aerosoft

Hi Uwe,

So, bottom line is : you have two virtual joysticks, i.e. vJoy instances, and MSFS can't distinguish between both, right ?

-> Couple of questions, please : 
- 1 - How do both instance appear in the basic Windows joystick utility ?
- 2 -  Can you send me a screenshot of the MSFS controller options panel at the moment you get the error message ,

Thank you.  

Hi SimWare,

thank you very much for your interest.

I think I am getting a little closer to the abyss. If the profile names of the vJoy devices are the same (here default), then maybe this happens during an assignment(picture1, in red ! error message)

"You are attempting to assign input to an unselected device."

If the profile names are different, (vJoy 1 - vJoy 2), then I can assign normally on both devices (picture 2). I hope that the inputs also work in flight.

Strangely, I can share the profile names between the two vJoy devices with the shown arrow keys. This is not normal in my eyes, because this does not work with the other devices (HOTAS, MFG, MFD, mouse,,...).

Thanks again for your time

Greetings
-Uwe

Please login to display this image.

Hi all,

renaming the vJoy instances to unique names seems to be the key to success. Thank you very much for your cooperation. This one gave me the right idea. 

Regards
-Uwe

• Aerosoft

Hi Uwe,

Yes indeed. The name is the sole differentiator in this case (Virtual Joysticks), unlike physical joysticks. 
These are basically two instances of the same joystick.

Please let me know if you eventually get your system to work as you wished.

Best regards.

Hi SimWare,

for the MSFS I have now the control of the throttle/reverser under FSUIPC and SimConnect running.

The control via vJoy currently works only the throttle (MSFS must be operated differently here than P3D) . For the control of the reverser I have already prepared the program logic,

but this work is not yet finished. However, I am no longer worried about a failure here. It will be alright, but it needs my time, which I don't always have. 

The picture shows the Skyhawk in a long final to LFLE under SimConnect.

Greetings
-Uwe

• Aerosoft

Hi Uwe,

As a general rule, and seeing the posts above, let me simply emphasize on the fact that axes management is
pretty straightforward compared to buttons.
Try to keep it simple by avoiding as much as possible extra software layers.

MSFS has a very powerful feature  : The user profiles for hardware controls.
Depending on the plane in use, you can switch to different profiles for same hardware control.
This is very flexible, and altough you nedd to switch profile manually before a flight, it gives

a huge flexibility and ease of use.

For info, please check this tutorial

Best regards.

• Upvote 1

• 1 month later...
  • Deputy Sheriffs

Because we believe this topic has been answered we have closed it. If you have any more questions feel free to open a new topic.

• Herman locked this topic