Entering NATs into the CRJ FMS

creader932

On the CRJ, how do I go about entering North Atlantic Track waypoints into the FMS?

For example, flying from North America to Europe on a hypothetical ferry flight, how would I enter the following waypoints into the FMS?

48N050W 50N040W 51N030W 52N020W

Thanks!!

2 hours ago, creader932 said:

On the CRJ, how do I go about entering North Atlantic Track waypoints into the FMS?

Although I doubt it is implemented it would be as follows:

The scratchpad entry format (N or S)DDMM.MM(W or E)DDDMM.MM is used for a latitude/longitude-based waypoint. The hemispheric designation (N/S, E/W) must always precede the coordinates. The coordinates are entered with the standard of four digits for latitude and five digits for longitude. If waypoint coordinates are in whole degrees of latitude, longitude or both, the minutes do not have to be entered (for example, N40, S09, W030, or E042).

For your first example you would have to enter: N48W050

39 minutes ago, KuntaKinte said:

Although I doubt it is implemented it would be as follows:

The scratchpad entry format (N or S)DDMM.MM(W or E)DDDMM.MM is used for a latitude/longitude-based waypoint. The hemispheric designation (N/S, E/W) must always precede the coordinates. The coordinates are entered with the standard of four digits for latitude and five digits for longitude. If waypoint coordinates are in whole degrees of latitude, longitude or both, the minutes do not have to be entered (for example, N40, S09, W030, or E042).

For your first example you would have to enter: N48W050

28 minutes ago, Mathijs Kok said:

Are we sure the CRJ nav system supports this? I mean they do not cross oceans a lot and when they do I am sure pilots will be be able to find Canada or Ireland.

I've attempted using the "N48W050" format and the FMS replies with "Not Found" so I'm guessing this just isn't implemented or isn't possible.  

3 hours ago, Mathijs Kok said:

Are we sure the CRJ nav system supports this? I mean they do not cross oceans a lot and when they do I am sure pilots will be be able to find Canada or Ireland.

Yes, we are sure. You are basically asking if the CRJ nav system supports latitude and longitude coordinates (that's all that NATs, or basically any navigation point in the FMS database are), which is a bit of an odd question if you think about it.

• 1 year later...

Hey all, I post this only to potential future scrollers who are looking to enter coordinates into the FMS. I found a way to make it work in the CRJ FMS. For instance, if you want to fly to 58N 50W, you would enter it as N58W050. The FMS will take it, though the waypoint will be nameless and only show the bearing the FMS calculates for the point in the nav system. Just figured I'd drop this here in case anyone else is flying their brand new CRJ from the factory in Montreal to Europe.

Edit: This only works to enter the route on the legs page. It will not take it on FPLN.

• Thanks 2
  • Upvote 3