question on updates

Dave1399

So my question is I've Read/heard that we should remove all content from our community folder, including the CRJ during msf updates. I believe the reason for this is to protect the integrity of the files of our add ons?. So I've been doing this method for a while now without issue. But why, why should we have to take this step every month, in some cases a few times a month. Why would msfs do anything with files located in the community folder. What wright do they have to overwrite any files from 3rd party developers?  Anyway, i guess the short of it is, am i completely wrong?. Has this problem been fixed, should i continue to do this?  Just looking for some clarification on this. Thank you for some light on this topic. Have a good weekend of flying.

Dave.

Note: should be noted i own the store copy, not market place version. Otherwise i guess I'd have to leave it there huh...

Some packages in your community folder may not have been updated and, as a result, may have an unexpected impact on the title’s performance and behavior. Please move your community package(s) to another folder before relaunching the title if you suffer from stability issues or long loading times.

The message suggests it’s the other way around: Asobo fears some add-on that has not been updated yet to be compatible with the new version of Flight Simulator may mess up the sim, causing memory issues or crashes.

• Aerosoft
9 minutes ago, Thorwan said:

The message suggests it’s the other way around: Asobo fears some add-on that has not been updated yet to be compatible with the new version of Flight Simulator may mess up the sim, causing memory issues or crashes.

That is how we understand that as well.

6 hours ago, Thorwan said:

Oh i get it now. Thanks. Your correct, I was reading it to mean the opposite. This is similar to plugins in XP. Sometimes outdated plugins can cause xp to not even load in some cases after an xp update. Thanks. Learning a new sim and it's nuances all over again. Lol.

Addons Linker streamlined this for me as all but a few of my addons are in a separate file structure (organized to my liking) and then linked to the Community Folder.  When an update comes out here are my steps

1. Open Addons Linker and one click disable all links to the community folder.

2. Move the 2-3 leftover items (to clarify, I always test out addons directly in the community folder and after verifying operation I move them to my personalized file structure and link them)

3. Update the sim

4. Check in the sim for the few market place items I have and see if they need updating.

5. Close sim

6. Open sim and verify functionality with ZERO addons

7. Close sim

8. use Addons Linker to re-link WHAT I WILL USE (aircraft and airport pair if applicable)

9.  Fly

I then only add back addons as I want to use them.  That way if something turns ugly, I know what caused it and can trouble shoot, update or remove as needed.   This sounds like a long processes but in reality It is a few mouse clicks.  The actual update still takes the most time. 

Archived