Question about FMS Subsystem

KevyKevTPA

I have some questions about this that I was hoping somebody would be able to assist me with...

This pic was taken in flight, and there was lots of FOB, so why are the numbers amber, , Inaccurate, and the "EXTRA" is showing an amber value of 0?  Next, why does it show an ETA of -10:-48 in the KLAS line, and what does that even mean?  Third, it shows goose eggs for my ALTN airport (KONT)...  why?  (I've noticed that phenomenon in several other locations as it references alternates as well, even when I've put in a full flight plane in for my second flightplan route.  Lastly, it shows page 1/4.  How do I get to the other pages?  I tried the up and down arrows on the MCDU, and that didn't work.  Thanks in advance to anyone who can help...

Please login to display this image.

Yes, there is a known bug with the ETA

I can't say why the fuel calculation is so wrong, I haven't seen it before.

However, I also see a few settings that you should not have in Cruise on FL290.
Deactivate the reversers
Turn off the APU (preferably already during the taxi)
Close the APU Door

🙂  Use the ADV Button to switch between the pages

Please login to display this image.

Wolfgang

1 hour ago, Hoffie3000 said:

Deactivate the reversers

Yeah, I'm bad about forgetting that.  I just have to keep reminding myself until I drum it into my stubborn head to do it right!  And then sometimes, when I remember to turn them off, I forget to turn them back on, which makes for some interesting landings.  I know, I know, use the checklists.  You're right.

Turn off the APU (preferably already during the taxi)

This, OTOH, is on purpose.  I've had issues with the plane all of a sudden acting like someone stole a bunch of ponies from my engines, or covered the airframe in ice without leaving a visual trace.  Suddenly, it will stop climbing and start descending, or if I'm at cruise already, it will start descending, even at max power.  So I leave the APU running figuring it gives the engines just a bit of a power boost that might help should that happen again.  In fact, it's my understanding that IRL some airlines have a policy of leaving the APU on until 10k' for exactly that reason.  Of course, just because I read about it on the Internet, doesn't make it true.  That's also why I limit my altitude to FL300 or below, when Simbrief wants to send me way up towards the ceiling of the aircraft.  But as I've flown the plane more, I've gotten better at doing things the right way (except the reversers lol), so maybe the issue with stolen power was in fact something I was doing wrong that (hopefully anyway) I'm not anymore.  I should give it a shot and see if the problem reoccurs.  If it does, then after the patch comes out (which I understand should be shortly after SU4 which is 25 May, and a good birthday present for me), I'll try it again.

And speaking of reversers, in the real world, for MOST aircraft, an in flight deployment of reversers is a death sentence for everyone on board, so plane builders do everything possible and many things that aren't to make sure that NEVER happens.  I've never tried it on purpose with this guy, but since simulated death doesn't sting quite as much as actual death, maybe I will just to see what happens.

I just love this airplane, in some ways it's like the Airbus, but with the Airbus, once you're cruising with George flying, you become a passenger.  With this plane, you have to pay constant attention.  That wouldn't work for say a transatlantic flight, but you can't do that with the CRJ to begin with, as it's made for the short hops.  I realize it will probably never be "finished", and we'll be getting patches for as long as it remains a current product, but I do hope this next one works out most of the glitches, and from what I've seen that's scheduled to be included, it looks like it will do exactly that.  That's a good thing!

Use the ADV Button to switch between the pages

Fascinating!  I thought the ADV button was only for checking your flight plan for anomalies during your pre-flight, and had no idea it did this, too!  Looks like Volume 6 and I need to set a date for some quality alone time together.  Good thing I've got the folder for those docs pinned to the sidebar, I don't have an excuse that I can't find them because I forgot where they are!  I did forget where they are, but since they're pinned, that's not a problem.  I don't need to know.

Thank you for your help, I don't know how useful that FMS page actually is, I discovered it quite by accident when I was exploring every single page of every single button on the MCDU, but regardless, in the event I do want to use it, it'll be nice when they get it fixed.

Leaving the APU running to supply air for the packs below 10,000 feet is common practice in the CRJ-200 but not the 700/900. On those models the APU is normally shut down before takeoff. It might be started in flight to supply backup bleed air in case of an engine failure, and leaving it on doesn’t really hurt anything other than eating fuel. The air inlet door does have a maximum airspeed limitation though.

The reversers will not deploy in flight if the arming switches are left on (I have tried), but standard practice is do disarm them after takeoff, and re-arm them on final approach. Arming switches are unique to the CRJ and Challenger 600 series from which it is derived, and are also found in many Lear jets. Bill Lear was involved in the initial design of the aircraft that became the Challenger 600, so the switches reflect the Lear ancestry in the airplane.

I flew a flight today and checked out this screen, and the orange "warning colors" (at least I'm guessing that's what it means) were gone.  The fuel predictions were WAAAAAY different than what Simbrief has, but that could be influenced by the fact that I was on the ground with the engines off when I checked.  I intended to check in flight, but my sim crashed on me...  there's a conflict between the CRJ, certain geographic locations, and a mod on my system, but I haven't managed to figure out which one.  My current suspect is a freeware scenery of KPAE but that's not tested yet.

In the last few month, users have repeatedly complained about problems with CTDs on approach or at airports. Especially after sim updates.
They were often able to solve the problem by deleting the Rolling Cache and having the sim rebuild it.

@Hoffie3000Interesting.  I wonder if that's something that's being worked on for the patch.  I'd hate to spend gawd knows how many hours testing mods to try to track down a single offender, only to find out that was never the problem in the first place.  I think if I just don't fly in WA or OR, I might just be good, and the world is much bigger than just those two states!  So I'll give that a try for now, and see if the problem reoccurs.  BTW, I'm looking for victims, er, um, I mean members for a new Discord Server I'm trying to get started.  Would you care for an invite?

On 5/17/2021 at 6:07 AM, KevyKevTPA said:

This, OTOH, is on purpose.  I've had issues with the plane all of a sudden acting like someone stole a bunch of ponies from my engines, or covered the airframe in ice without leaving a visual trace.  Suddenly, it will stop climbing and start descending, or if I'm at cruise already, it will start descending, even at max power.  So I leave the APU running figuring it gives the engines just a bit of a power boost that might help should that happen again.  In fact, it's my understanding that IRL some airlines have a policy of leaving the APU on until 10k' for exactly that reason.  Of course, just because I read about it on the Internet, doesn't make it true.  That's also why I limit my altitude to FL300 or below, when Simbrief wants to send me way up towards the ceiling of the aircraft.  But as I've flown the plane more, I've gotten better at doing things the right way (except the reversers lol), so maybe the issue with stolen power was in fact something I was doing wrong that (hopefully anyway) I'm not anymore.  I should give it a shot and see if the problem reoccurs.  If it does, then after the patch comes out (which I understand should be shortly after SU4 which is 25 May, and a good birthday present for me), I'll try it again.

This sounds like the behavior caused by one of three things.

1. Flight model is NOT set to modern. 

2. Icing is NOT set to Visual Only

3. (My guess here)You suffer from the phantom deployment of the spoilers.  There is no visual indication they are deployed and there is no system indication they are deployed but the airplane "thinks" they are deployed.  It has happened to me and what I have done to reduce and almost eliminate this is (some people are going to roll their eyes)...

a. Create blank control profiles in MSFS for ALL controllers and the keyboard

b. Only add the controls to the keyboard that I want, in my case it is control of the cameras to set my preferred views.

c. I only use Axis and Ohs to control the flight surfaces, including spoiler axis.  SpadNext and possibly FSUIPC can do this too however I don't use them for that so I can speak to it.

d. Online line up I added a procedure to my take off activities.  While entering the runway I turn on the strobes then I cycle the spoilers.  I added the cycle the spoilers because if they are in a phantom deployment, you will not notice it until you get into thinner air and reduced (climb) thrust.  After spoiler cycle i finish the flow as normal. 

I have only seen the problem you described a couple of times now and in both cases I was rushing out during a group flight event and forgot to cycle the spoilers (and turn on taxi lights/strobes etc).  This same cycling of the spoilers may work even if using the sim's internal control for the axis, but I can't speak to that. 

In short, if you checked cause 1 and 2 and they are not out of whack, then cycle the spoilers prior to TOGA and see if that helps.

Archived