Why does the YAW DAMPER always show?

Claus Jensen

You should be able to take off without the yaw damper but I don't know of any reason why you would want to. What do you mean when you say you have to click the buttons before you can take off? Do you mean the plane physically will not get off the runway unless both yaw dampers are engaged?

2 minutes ago, Chaxterium said:

You should be able to take off without the yaw damper but I don't know of any reason why you would want to. What do you mean when you say you have to click the buttons before you can take off? Do you mean the plane physically will not get off the runway unless both yaw dampers are engaged?

You misunderstand. A yellow Yaw Damper Sign always show when I set up my flight plans and that has to be cleared by pressing the two yaw damper buttons before I can take off. 

2 minutes ago, Claus Jensen said:

You misunderstand. A yellow Yaw Damper Sign always show when I set up my flight plans and that has to be cleared by pressing the two yaw damper buttons before I can take off. 

Yes of course. That's because it's telling you that the yaw damper is not engaged. The yaw damper is not engaged when you start the sim. I thought you meant that the plane wouldn't let you take off unless the yaw damper was engaged. Either way what you're describing is normal. You need to engage them before taking off. 

3 minutes ago, Claus Jensen said:

Thank you for clearing that up!

No problem. In that vein then, are you engaging the stab trim as well prior to taking off? The right hand EICAS screen should be pretty much blank except for L REV ARMED and R REV ARMED and perhaps a couple other messages depending on if you have anti-ice on or the APU is still running.

7 minutes ago, petermaxkoller said:

Where are you engaging the "stab trim"?

Peter

Push all three of these buttons. The first two engage the two stab trim channels and the third button engages the Mach Trim.

Please login to display this image.

The yaw dampers and stab trim systems are all off by default in the real aircraft when powering up from cold and dark, and are normally all energized by the pilot before engine start as part of the preflight checklist.

There are actually two independent yaw dampers and two independent stab trim systems. The aircraft can fly with only one yaw damper, and only one stab trim, but both are normally engaged for redundancy. On the first flight of the day, the pilot will test each system separately, then leave both engaged at the end of the tests.

Archived