CRJ STAR issue?

Is there an issue with the CRJ or is it an Asobo issue?  I have done a few flights so far and every flight that included a STAR, towards the last turn in the diagram, the plane stops following the navigation route and just continues to fly straight.  When going into HDG mode to turn towards the next fix, hitting DIR TO and going back into NAV doesn't seem to work.  Anyone else have this issue?  Thanks

I'm not having this issue. Are you ensuring your flight plan is cleaned of any discontinuities? (If you thought you turned NAV on, but suddenly you notice it's off...the issue likely lies within your LEGS in the FMS)

There may be a discontinuity between the last waypoint of a STAR and the first waypoint of an approach, that needs to be cleared on the legs page. Also, many approaches have no transition route from the STAR to the initial fix of the approach. This will be indicated by the word (VECT) on the legs page. In this case, you need to use heading select to navigate to the beginning of the approach and then go back to NAV mode.

Thanks... I will try again.  I am 99% sure I didn't have any discontinuities but i could have missed it.  The flight yesterday I did had no transition so that could have been the cause.  Out of curiosity, can you arm APP while in NAV or HDG or do you need to deselect NAV or HDG first ?  Not having an issue with that, just wanted to know the proper flow.  Thanks!

11 hours ago, Justin J said:

I'm not having this issue. Are you ensuring your flight plan is cleaned of any discontinuities? (If you thought you turned NAV on, but suddenly you notice it's off...the issue likely lies within your LEGS in the FMS)

1 hour ago, JRBarrett said:

There may be a discontinuity between the last waypoint of a STAR and the first waypoint of an approach, that needs to be cleared on the legs page. Also, many approaches have no transition route from the STAR to the initial fix of the approach. This will be indicated by the word (VECT) on the legs page. In this case, you need to use heading select to navigate to the beginning of the approach and then go back to NAV mode.

• Herman locked and unlocked this topic

APPR overrides the other Lateral modes, you don't need to deselect a mode before.

I also think you might have overseen the VECT, so regulary the plane continues straight ahead as you would get vectors by ATC. You could even drag the next waypoint and drop it at VECT. Then it'll fly without a discontinuity.

Regards, Herbert

So in case of (VECT) leg between the STAR and the approach, are you to use HDG mode to intercept the starting waypoint of the approach? How close to that waypoint should you be to engage NAV? would you go right into APPR? 

I've seen this on a SID too I think. immediately after takeoff there is a (VECT) leg, same thing? HDG or hand fly to next waypoint?

After takeoff ATC would give either headings or a "direct to" a specific waypoint. To imitate that I would rather use HDG mode than flying manually.

At the STAR ATC usually give headings to cross the localizer, to imitate that I'd also use HDG mode. before crossing the localizer ATC says "cleared Approach", means, now you can arm APPR, no need to use NAV. 

I use Pilot2ATC and it works nicely at the MSFS. Best practice would be IVAO or VATSIM.

Regards,

Herbert

Yes, there are a number of SIDs and STARs that include radar vectors.  A good example is the MERIT6 departure from JFK:

Please login to display this image.

Please login to display this image.

If you were assigned the Gateway climb off of Runway 22R, you would fly along the JFK R-232 for 5 miles, then turn left to heading 219.  The MCDU at that point would show VECT on a 219 heading.  In the real world, the departure controller would be responsible for getting you to the MERIT intersection.  This could be done via radar vectors (you would be given headings to fly), or give Direct to the fix (more common).  Once you get assigned direct to MERIT, you would just use the LSK to move MERIT to the top left slot of the LEGS page.  Whether you use AP or hand fly is up to you.  It's the same process on the STAR; ATC will give you headings to fly, or send you direct to a fix.

If you are not using any sort of ATC in MSFS, then it's up to you how you want to fly the departure/arrival (i.e. give yourself vectors or direct to a fix).

Archived