More Pics of the F-16 to wet your Appetite 'Large Post'

Shaun Fletcher

• Aerosoft
On cockpits and general wear and tear:

The F-16 fleet around the world is kept in good condition. On the outside they may appear tatty looking due to paint touch ups and lack of soap but generally speaking, they never get close to a super worn Do-27 or the like.

The pit is continuosly going through modification programmes like the MLU for Europe and export or the CCIP for the USAF. Thereby, the cockpits are torn completely to pieces and repainted/maintained/replaced. So.... you don't really see a nasty looking cockpit. If the ECP/Tech Order says that this or that part should be grey or matt black, especially near the canopy or in parts of the cockpit that can become a reflection in the canopy, they are maintained with proper colouring. Where wear can occur is on the sides/floor of the rudder pedal wells, seat, throttle grip and SSC (side stick controller). This is however limited. Some seat emergency packs (the one your bottom is located on) can be dirty looking but usually not that bad. F-16 pilots are kept clean...... :rolleyes:

Approaching anything close to a really worn bush type workhorse cockpit or a field modifed racer/experimental, would be the wrong track for an F-16 model.

This was my own two (European) Cents....

Best

Dag, you do realize that your post is about the same as an invitation to find tattered looking Falcons, lol. Loads of those around on the word wide web.

But to add to your (accurate) comments, it is ALWAYS easier to go from a clean model to a dirty model then the other way around. That's why we work on squeaky clean models during development. In the paint kit you can always add a layer with dirt etc.

• Aerosoft
HaHa Today, I promote my Ram to 2GB and wait for this craft

for sure, is that enough to let this F-16 fly quick and smooth? and bloom effect?

thanks

We are not going to hide that the F-16 is a very heavy model (the system requirements will reflect that). This is one of the few projects we do every year where we do not ask the developers to be limited by a certain FPS on our test bed. This is like Manhattan and the Seahawk, projects that are slightly ahead of the hardware and they will cause some comments when they are launched. But that is by design. We need to have products that show where this small industry is going, what will be standard in 18 months.

Dag, you do realize that your post is about the same as an invitation to find tattered looking Falcons, lol. Loads of those around on the word wide web.

But to add to your (accurate) comments, it is ALWAYS easier to go from a clean model to a dirty model then the other way around. That's why we work on squeaky clean models during development. In the paint kit you can always add a layer with dirt etc.

True Mathijs, true indeed. I'd really love to paint a bird with less then 30% paint on its surface if I can find one. This was my second post utilizing my iPhone and that takes Pantera imagery.

thanks Dag's reply

my real meaning is I still think this cockpit is not as real as H1's and piper's. wear&tear is just a possible reason, I am not sure.

such as the sun proof board( I don't know the real name), the black cover over panels looks not so real. I mean the H-1's and pipers' looks like photo, but this F-16's is not.

I don' t know the reason or reasons.

about the skin conjunction crevices, I still belive there should be some very thin and very dark line based on those finished paints.

very very thin and a little bit darker!

why not try??

REMARKABLE on two fronts 1)beautifull pics,brought a tear to my eye :D

...........................................2) that the craft is being flown by remote control :blink:

( no pilot, still? )

Guess that makes it easier to picture myself in the cockpit

Randy

It is good to have a list of weapons load out for many variant F-16's from A-A /A-G weapons and demo display pods & CFT tanks!! :) and some of them like A-A /A-g weapons to work correct with different Radar mods, it will very cool.

• Aerosoft
How is the frames on the Falcon compared to the Hughes racer?

Slower, the aircraft is many times more complex and you pay for every polygon. I said it before, will say it again. Every year we do a few products where we give the developers a free hand in setting the complexity, the F-16 is one of those projects. Interestingly though, per polygon of aircraft (when done like this) FSX is about twice as fast as FS2004 is. We can go over double the maximum polygons for FS2004 (around 90.000 while the F16 is now around 220.000) and see the same single core CPU load.

• Aerosoft
It is good to have a list of weapons load out for many variant F-16's from A-A /A-G weapons and demo display pods & CFT tanks!! :) and some of them like A-A /A-g weapons to work correct with different Radar mods, it will very cool.

Keep in mind that we will NOT do any weapons stuff in this first release. It's strictly limited to flying and not fighting. So you will not be able to shoot, drop or fire stuff.

• Aerosoft
I have asked this before, but I didn't get any answers (I know it's difficult to satisfy every single questionmaker here). :P How will you do it with different loadings on the Falcon? Are you going to have a loading manager tool so that we can use every paint in every way we want, or is it like 'that load for that paint, and this load for that'? Because I really want to fly in Norwegian colours sometimes with load and sometimes clean/with a single tank/only sidewinders etc...

You will be limited to what we deliver as this is the only way to do it at this level of complexity. We might deliver some additional models after release, though.

This thing is going to be insane! :D I have been following the development the last year and I'm deeply impressed.

The F-16 is the finest flying machine there is... You can throw F-15s, F-18s, JSF's, Eurofighter's and so on at me, nothing compares to the "16" :)

Good job Aerosoft!

the end of june is coming dear aerosoft team ;)....vin what about your vids?!

So you want us to devote time to making a video of the unfinished product or finishing the product? :rolleyes:

As we look upon the cool screenshots, we should also reflect on some remarkable statistics...

Here are some interesting facts about the venerable F16, along with a small pop quiz:

FACTS

The F16 fighter is OVER 32 YEARS OLD!

It came out just one year before the first Star Wars movie.

It is used by no fewer than 24 different countries.

It is by far the largest Western fighter program ever developed, with over 4000 aircraft built.

Originally designed and built by General Dynamics, production was handed over to Lockheed Corp.

It was the first fighter built to withstand steady 9G turns!

The Falcon or Viper has the second best air to air kill to loss ratio ever for a combat plane: 72 - 0 (*can you name the plane with the highest ratio??)

Pop Quiz!!!

Fill in the blank #1: The polycarbonate material in the the canopy gives it the ability not to need a integral rung in the front, like most all other fighters. This is because The polycarbonte can withstand a direct hit from a ______________.

Fill in the blank #2: With the advent of lighter weight supercomputers to control flight, the YF-16 was the world's first aircraft able to have __________ stability.

Question #3: The Falcon's canopy is unique...does anyone know why?

BONUS QUESTION: On an F-16, you may typically notice missiles, or at least empty rails on the wingtips. The F-16 Falcon was designed with these in order to ...?

answer to #1: seagull at 550 knots.

answer to #2: negative

answer to #3: The canopy alone costs $1,000,000.00!!!!

answer to bonus question: Reduce wingtip vortices.. Although they do look cool, having any type of parallel surface above and below the wing at the tip will greatly reduce instable vorticies inherent in air flow over a swept foil.

I hope you enjoyed these facts and fun quiz, - I can't wait for the release!!!

*P.S. The plane with the WORLD RECORD and highest kill to loss ratio is the mighty F15 Eagle ;)

News for the painter of J-055! The last time it flew in public the number (J-055) wasn't silver as it used to be, but orange. I haven't seen your paint in detail, so I don't know if the paint already has this. I just thought it was a good idea to let you know anyway. :P

Keep in mind that we will NOT do any weapons stuff in this first release. It's strictly limited to flying and not fighting. So you will not be able to shoot, drop or fire stuff.

Since we will not have weapons pack for first!! Release!!! I will expect realistic avionics and nav as real as it FSX get,will be simulate the APG-68 v9 radar modes?ramp start , INS, and checklist All or most functions?

So you want us to devote time to making a video of the unfinished product or finishing the product? :rolleyes:

yes but when it is finished we can fly our selfes ;) so a start up video or something like this would be great

Is there a chance for a release this week ? Then we need no video ! :rolleyes:

Nope, I doubt it. From what you see in this thread, you surely must see that it's still an unfinished product. Experienced flight sim enthusiasts can easily see parts that are not textured, no pilot etc. You for one should spot that? There's no chute in the chute compartment for instance.

A video takes time and I've already done one, using FS recorder of a two-ship formation of beta 095 F-16. I'm not happy with it and will not publish anything 'till the product is done, eg work on the project is finished.

I will instead devote time to do paint schemes and update the excisting ones. Tim issues updates continuously, with new parts of the model mapped, etc. I think maybe it is fair to say that I am more devoted to doing my best at finishing the product then make a video for some poor souls that cannot wait. I have a job outside this that takes a bit of my time and i do the work for Tim/Aerosoft for free. I decide what i will give priority.

But..... I speak for myself, Vin may have other ideas...??

PS:

Can anyone supply me with good images of Egyptian F-16s. I'm not talking about low res 800x600 ones, mind you.

I gotta do something to keep you busy :rolleyes:

Thanks for the "enthusiastic" interest

of course I understand you dag...and it wasn't like a "you have to do a video"....but we haven't known that there are so many issues left, so now we know it and I/we understand why there is no video until yet. so you gonna do the parachute thing for the greek f16s??

ps:

i will search for some egyptian vipers...what especially?? underside?? fuselage??

something like this:

http://www.flug-revue.rotor.com/FRTypen/FRfotmil/F-16UAE.jpg

or a grey one?