Pitch attitude, trimming the aircraft, W&B and Center of Gravity

Hi Aerosoft,

I was anticipating the CRJ release very much.

Until now i have been flying about 2 hours, 8 take-offs and 8 landings and cruise-flight ...all flown manual, not used the autopilot (nor the FMC).

My CRJ  (and I do not say THE CRJ !) is not properly trimmable, I keep trimming it, pushing yoke, pulling yoke, increase power and decrease power....no way I am able to have a stable cruise flight or approach fase.

Decreasing the power can result in a pitch up attitude and the pitch runs away the wrong directions (up or down), increasing power and pitch can go down....

Also the nose tends so get off the ground on take-off roll and will not settle down easy after landing.

On the ground (before take-off) i am not able to set weights in the EFB, the only number i am able to change in the EFB perfomance page is the passengers amount (no Cargo can be changed), the V speeds can be set.

This is an aircraft that we have to get used to, but i suspect something is wrong in my weight and balance because in no way i can have a stable flight.

(I have a new Honeycomb yoke that is perfectly calibrated and i am able to trim other aircraft....although i am aware in MSFS the way aircraft behaves a can be a bit odd)

I have a lot of Real Life and sim experience (flown for more then 25 years single and two engine GA aircraft and helicopters and 25 hours full motion B744 sim at a major airline, also I am using Flightsimulators for almost 30 years).

What i try to say is i have a bit of knowledge on how to fly aircraft and how they behave (I say this all just in case you might say that i have to learn to fly the CRJ - but yes....indeed.... i have no experience in any CRJ)

What can i do to get the W&B and performance settings to get to work so the CRJ can have a stable flight? (Because..I say again...I suspect the W&B settings are not right)

I hope you have any suggestions.

Kind regards,

Ben

Flight model is set to "Modern"? At "Legacy" it's untrimable.

I also tend to use the section flight_tuning at flight_model.cfg to customize the stabiliies and effectness of the control surfaces (yoke) for each plane.

Regards, Herbert

• Deputy Sheriffs

Pitch going up with thrust decrease and vice versa is normal with the CRJ since the engines are mounted at the back and high causing different pitch moments than in an Airbus for example where the engines are mounted on the wings. Also the CRJ does require a lot of trim in manual flight and you can see pilots constantly trimming the aircraft if you check some videos from youtube for example.

About weight and balance make sure that the Aircraft empty CG position is set all the way to the right (Vol1 manual page 11).

Yep....so i have read in the manuals.

Meanwhile the setup of the W&B is working, it turned out that i tried to set it up right after a landing to continue further take-off's and landings, that doesn't work....you have to start a new flight to be able to setup the W&B in the EFB.

I have flown lots of hours in the Maddog, this aircraft also has engines above the wings and attached to the tail but the nose up / down attitude is completely different in that aircraft.

I will have a look at Youtube to pilots flying a real CRJ to see how the Real thing behaves.

Working through the manuals and try to believe this is how a CRJ behaves and try to adept to this flight model now, for now the taxi fase is far better then in any other MSFS aircraft (and FBW mod) and i love the looks of the CRJ (inside and outside).

I hope that i can get used to it.

Thanks!

I have found that it is important not to let the speed drop below the cruising or descent speeds otherwise the trim goes haywire. As long as speed is managed the trim works well.

Archived