A330 PF & PnF respond time

There are these awkward silences between PF and PnF respond time ... resulting in a checklist that takes double the time to complete.

Any reason for it or is it a setting that I've missed?

1 hour ago, DaveCT2003 said:

Just to verify you're seeing this with P3Dv4.5HF3?

That's correct sir.

FPS are always a stable 30 (with Vsync capped on 4K monitor) and my performance with P3D4.5HF3 is very good and never a problem.

• Deputy Sheriffs

Are you comparing the CL sequence with the one from the smaller models? In the A330 we implemented a new features VIEW FOCUS which automatically changes the view where the settings should be made. But when the plane is moving, we implemented brakes between the various CL items so that in between the pilot can look outside to see where is the plane is heading. This means there a longer brakes between some of thew CL items.

I agree with @Terblanche that the time delays in the checklistsare far too long.
Especially when flying online with ATC on the ground the time delays are very annoying and cost unnecessary time and attention - the constant switching is very annoying, especially when you're online, as most of us are.

I've disabled this feature to reduce the workload.

I find the time delays implemented in the A318/A319 checklists ideal.

These are similar to what you can hear in various cockpit videos - short and crisp 🙂

Wollfgang

• Deputy Sheriffs

Wolfgang,

I do not agree with you.

1. People flying "online" is according to my knowledge not the majority of the A330 users.
  2. Our intention when we implemented the CL was to "guide" the user through the various procedures and not take away some work from him. In RL a "computer" is also not doing this but the checks / settings are made by the PF and PNF while flying.
  3. The VIEW FOCUS is just a help for those who really "care" for the CL and its items / settings.

But if you do not care what is going on in RL, want to do in parallel other things while the CL is running and think that the CL is just an automated settings feature, then you are right. But this is not the idea when we implemented the new version of the CL into the A330.

Rolf

vor 26 Minuten, Hanse sagte:

But if you do not care what is going on in RL, want to do in parallel other things while the CL is running

I am horrified Rolf how my statements can be so deliberately misinterpreted.

I would not have expected this from you, I know the checklists are your "baby" but you should not generally devalue hints that could lead to an improvement of the product.

Wolfgang

• Deputy Sheriffs
vor 8 Stunden , Hoffie3000 sagte:

Especially when flying online with ATC on the ground the time delays are very annoying and cost unnecessary time and attention

I just interpreted your a. m. statement. Maybe I am wrong. But the delays are necessary so that you also have time to look outside and "pilot" the plane when the CL is running. In the first VIEW FOCUS version I did not implement those breaks and users complained that they were not able to steer the plane when the  CL was running. Such delays are only implemented when the plane is moving and p. e. not available in the Cockpit Preparation or Parking CL. I am also always open for improvements if those are valuable and if those add a handling plus / more value for all users. But in your case e.g. your suggestion to "delete" the breaks in the CL would only annoy a lot of other users (see the a. m. argument) .......

Rolf

13 hours ago, Hoffie3000 said:

Especially when flying online with ATC on the ground the time delays are very annoying and cost unnecessary time and attention - the constant switching is very annoying, especially when you're online, as most of us are.

Hi,

Can you try to be more specific about the delays, which you are referring to above? I am also flying online in most of the occasions and am unable to fully agree with your statements. There is a big improvement between the first versions using the VIEW FOCUS and what is now. Rolf mentioned clearly that if there is no delay in the Taxing CL for example, you simply cannot steer the plane in some airports where the taxiway is complicated.

Please also note that this AC is designed and made for all kind of users, who have different level of knowledge and EXPERIENCE for piloting the plane. Many of them need to know and mainly remember visually what is going on and how it is going on in the cockpit. Human brain is much more used to learn things by getting visual impression for the sequence of events, which happen, instead of listening to them only. I personally would prefer to have such interactive CL in the small planes also, no matter that it will take time and AS has to decide if it is worth to.

Last, but not least is, please remember that people are different and making an universal product is always an almost impossible task. Rolf had tried to implement something, which cannot be seen in other products from the sort and he deserves appreciation. Moreover, the CL are quite close to the RL events, which are happening in the cockpit during flight execution.

Hope the above helps. 

Well, you've made your unwillingness to make improvements clear.
I stop the discussion here, because it makes no sense for me to discuss this with you further. 

Wolfgang

• Deputy Sheriffs

Because we believe this topic has been answered we have closed it. If you have any more questions feel free to open a new topic.

Archived