on route fuel dumped

matty260191

flying BAW10C KJFK-EGKK almost half way activesky decided to quit sending my airspeed above 600kts which in turn caused the bus to drop over 17000kg of fuel meaning i had to trun back to CYYT or end up in the ocean. I was unable to put fuel back in the tankes even manually due to either the bus not allowing it or my flight tracking stopping it. not sure if this has been reported or not.

WIN 10 LATEST P3D 4.5 AND BUILD 1.0.0.2

Hello Matty,

I apologize, but I've watched your video and read your report several times and I'm not understanding the report my friend.  But I would like to comment of a few things in your narrative.

1, ActiveSky does not send nor does it calculate or determine aircraft speed information, so I'm not sure what you are seeing/reporting in this regard.

2. Looking at your video, I don't see any drop in the aircraft fuel levels, and I certainly don't see a 17,000kg drop in the aircraft fuel level(s). Can you please be a little more specific regarding where you are looking at this and what the change is?

3. You are correct, our simulation will not allow you to add more fuel anytime the engines are running. If need be,  you should be able to add fuel via the P3D Fuel and Load screen although it may not update the fuel in ECAM and MCDU display (it would have to read the data from P3d to do this and I don't believe it does this.

4.  There are several primary fuel indications you should monitor during  your flights, which I have discussed below in a non-comprehensive manner:

a. Fuel Burn. This is shown for each engine on the Lower ECAM display. This is the rate of consumption, which will change during your flight based on the phase of flight (example: The engines work harder and burn more fuel during Takeoff and Climb, especially above 10,000ft where speed restictions are normally lifted), wind (head wind component), temperature, and pressure.

b. Destination Estimated Fuel Onboard (EFOB), which is displayed on the MCDU Performance page and also for the Destination Airport and Alternate Airport at the Bottom of the MCDU Flightplan page. Destination EFOB is also displayed elsewhere in the MCDU for the closest four airports. This is merely the amount of usable fuel in the fuel tanks, nothing more or less than that. This figure is calculated and updated constantly over the course of your flight.  Feeding into the EFOB calculations are:

i. The distance flown. So if you add a course change, insert a laternal offset, add or change a SID or STAR or input anything that will change the distance flown it will effect the EFOB on the ECAM Performance page.

ii. Fuel Burn. This is displayed pay attention to Fuel burn (shown for each engine on the lower ECAM display). The rate of fuel consumption changes based on how hard the engines have to work to reach and maintain the commanded airspeed, so this will be affected by changing altitudes, a change in temperatures or pressure, climbing or descending, changing commanded airspeed,  a change in headwind or tailwind components, etc. This is another moment by moment calculation rather than an estimate.

iii. Fuel Level.  This is simply the level of usable / readable fuel in the fuel tanks, and this figure reduces as fuel is consumed. The calculation uses this figure as a staring point to calculate EFOB for Desination, Alternate Airport(s), Closest 4 Airports, and EFOB at each waypoint (see item "iv" directly below).

iv.  EFOB for each waypoints. These figures are displayed on the MCDU Flightplan page (Page A and B as well as the Vertical Revision page) and represent the amount of fuel remaining at each waypoint long your planned route.  We are aware that these figures are not currently accurate and we will update these calculations in the future.

It is critical to understand the difference between Destination EFOB and FOB, and I wonder if you might have been looking at EFOB thinking it was FOB - this would certainly account for your report, espeically as the EFOB changes continually during your flight as described above.

FOB is the actual amount of Fuel Onboard.(usable Fuel Onboard). This figure is dynamic as it will constantly change as fuel is burned. Remember that the FOB figure is the amount of Fuel Onboard at any given moment. The only thing that determines what this figure is at any given moment is merely the usable fuel in the fuel tanks.

EFOB is the Estimate of Fuel Onboard at Destination, and this figure takes into account the environmental conditions referenced above.  Maybe you were looking at this EFOB thinking that it was the amount of fuel on the aircraft (FOB)?

I hope this is helpful to you my friend.  If I missed the point you were making in your report then please forgive me, and please try to describe what your seeing a little more specifically for me and include a few screen shots with a narrative?  That should help me understand what you're seeing.

I'm looking forward to hearing back from you.

Best wishes!

Totally missed it the clip then. I am not saying Activesky did anything except close. I has a 100+kts tail wind so when it closed that went causing me to jump to 600kts and please watch it again it was at 20000KG+fuel then the OS happened then it was at 10000KG look at the lower ecam in the vid. come on im not new to this please dont patronise me by telling me about how to check my fuel. Watch the video again you will see about 10 seconds in Is when my activesky crashed(removing the 100+kts tail wind) meaning a major jump in IAS and the fuel goes from 20000Kg+ to around 10000KG maybe it wasnt 17000KG but it was atleast 10000KG. I wonder if its to do with the engines over speeding while the Overspeed was happening. I restarted Actuvesky within about 10 seconds thats when the speed returned to normal as my GS didn't change just the winds which do change the IAS. If at that point you still don't understand me then I give up. You need to watch on a screen you can see the lower ecam fuel. You will see what happens about 10 seconds in.

1. Activesky does send wind data which does effect indicated airspeed.

2 watch the video again loom at 10 seconds in activesky closed as explained above and causes overspeed and a drop of at-least 10000KG fuel.

3. Like I said i did try and add fuel on the fuel and payload screen if the sim but it didn't add any.

4.Im fully aware of how and what to monitor while flying thats not my issue in this case.

Sorry If this all sounds rather snappy its early in the morning and I thought I had described it well enough.

2 hours ago, matty260191 said:

just watched the vid goes from 26000kg to 10000kg fuel so 16000kg loss.

That is just strange... I watched that video like 5 times last night and for some reason it didn't show that.... very strange, but not nearly as strange as what the aircraft was doing in the video.

I've opened and closed ActiveSky at least 50 times at the bare minimum during testing and never, ever experienced that.  Would you please post your ActiveSky.cfg file?  

Also, which  version of th Airbus A330 are you one in the video?  1.0.0.1., 1.0.0.2. or 1.0.0.3?   I'll try to recreate this.

hey it was 1.0.0.2. now 1.0.0.3. I think the issue may  have been the unusual strong tail wind. maybe the pressure? i wonder if you can set yourself a headwind of 100+kts using active sky at .82 at FL390 then close AS and see if it happens your end?

AS_P3Dv4.cfg

I know when i close activesky it then sends the sim into a CAVOK condition rather than keeping the weather thats there.

55 minutes ago, matty260191 said:

i wonder if you can set yourself a headwind of 100+kts using active sky at .82 at FL390 then close AS and see if it happens your end?

Matty,

Excellent suggestion, I had already added this to my To-Do List for today or tomorrow and I will get back to you my friend.

Thanks for the CFG file, but the one I need is actually located at:

C:\Users\[YOUR USERNAME]\AppData\Roaming\Hifi\AS_P3Dv4\Options

The default file is named "Prepar3DOptions", but it's also possible that you might have created a custom file named whatever you decided to call it (example:  I have two such files, one is named "MyCustomOptions" and the other is "Aerosoft CFD Settings V1.1".  Just provide me with the file you were using at the time of the flight, regardles of what it may be named.

5 hours ago, matty260191 said:

just watched the vid goes from 26000kg to 10000kg fuel so 16000kg loss.

Weirdest thing i've ever seen but it is effectively there. The engines go mad as well looking like a windshield wiper out of control.

Something must have messed with the systems real bad for that to happen.

Okay, at least part of the problem here is that  you are using pretty much default ActiveSky settings.  Those work pretty well across the many different types of aircraft for general flying in most places and general weather conditions, but they can actually cause issues when it comes to flying third part airliners.  PMDG, Aerosoft and other developers of high end airliners recommend reducing some of these settings, and other than not having issues most people can never tell the difference.

I've attached the ActiveSky settings we use in the Aerosoft Flight Sim Community (on Discord), especially for Connected Flight Deck flights where it is important for the Pilot, First Officer and even observers so they see and experience the same weather during the their flights (including what thye see on the Weather Radar. Myself and my primary test partner Grant developed these settings over many years and they provide the most realistic weather for flying airliners around the world.  In my opinion the only other way to get more realistic weather in the sim would be to customize the weather settings for each individual weather conditions  you might encounter, and frankly I don't know too many people who have the time or inclination to do that!

These setings aren't just for Connected Flight Deck, they are for regular flights as well.  I recomend you giving these settings a try, and I truly believe you'll be happy with them.

I will still perform the test as you requested, but being off yesterday I have a lot on my plate so it might take a while for me to get to.

Please let me know how you make out with the new ActiveSky settings?

Aerosoft CFD Settings V2.0.CFG

I have not had the same issue if it closes with and PMDG i fly them all or the A319-321. i disagree not much default i will check yours out but i have no issue while activesky is running.

i cant see your attatchent

57 minutes ago, matty260191 said:

I have not had the same issue if it closes with and PMDG i fly them all or the A319-321. i disagree not much default i will check yours out but i have no issue while activesky is running.

i cant see your attatchent

I re-attached the file.

Dave, There IS 100% a problem with the FUEL, EFOB and the machine hiding about 10,000-20,000 units of fuel that disappears after take off then reappears on descent. There is a glitch. I have had 5 flights with this behaviour. I am simply tankering additional fuel of the discrepancy to PAD my EFOB numbers. The same happens with or without Active Sky.....

1 minute ago, euf2000 said:

I had exactly the same thing today on my flight from FIMP to EDDM. Before departure I had an EFOB of 5.3, after departure I only had an EFOB -0.6

The OP did not mention anything in his post about EFOB, I think you have this post confused with another post?  At any rate, I described what EFOB is and how it works in my post above.  The EFOB on takeoff just isn't going to be accurate. Regardless, I was the one who asked the OP if he had mistakenly looked at EFOB instead of FOB because the first 5 times I watched the video there was no issue with FOB - maybe the video was changed or maybe it didn't stream correctly, I don't know.  But I've seen it now, and it's NOT a Fuel problem per se, the fuel change was a result of something else. This should have been readily apparent to anyone who watched the same video as I did, and I'd us all to help out by not confusing the issue with anothe - it needlessly over complicates things.

giphy.gif

I've been dying to use that Gif!  LOL!!!

1 hour ago, SgtBel4 said:

Dave, There IS 100% a problem with the FUEL, EFOB and the machine hiding about 10,000-20,000 units of fuel that disappears after take off then reappears on descent. There is a glitch. I have had 5 flights with this behaviour. I am simply tankering additional fuel of the discrepancy to PAD my EFOB numbers. The same happens with or without Active Sky.....

@ShtBel4, I guess you missed my post above in which I said...

8 hours ago, DaveCT2003 said:

That is just strange... I watched that video like 5 times last night and for some reason it didn't show that.... very strange, but not nearly as strange as what the aircraft was doing in the video.

My friends, we are looking very hard at the fuel calculations. I myself did a 5 hour test two nights ago which had a long list of very specific data points which were taken throughout the 5 hours, and we are analyzing the data as well as data from other testers and customers.  Please be patient and allow us to analyze all the data?  Regardless, and as I said above, this post is NOT about Fuel Problems per se, the abrupt change in fuel was caused by something entirely different.

Many thanks and best wishes.

I never Said it was a fuel problem per say and I agree Dave its not a fuel problem it just dropped the fuel after activesky closed causing the stupidly high IAS and what looked like a major engine surge because of it. I have also added to the EFOB post as this 330 does not calculate it correctly as the A318-321s do. At takeoff as-long as all MCDU data is filled and winds entered I do find that the EFOB is extremely accurate on the 318-321s but the 330 seems to have an issue with it.

https://forum.aerosoft.com/index.php?/topic/149130-a330-efob/&do=findComment&comment=958327

Archived