Missing FMS Function

When using the heading mode/heading bug to intercept the final approach course (with LOC/ILS selected in the FMS), I will select the Final Approach Fix, put it into L2, then "make it big" by selecting the pre-typed Intercept Course or typing it in manually. This is a phrase commonly known as "clean it up and make it big".

This allows me to intercept the final approach course in white needles and stay in FMS mode without switching to green needles until within the localizer service volume. 

Unless I am doing a RNAV where I put the fix behind me and intercept on a heading, we use the "clean it up and make it big" every time.  I cannot do this within the Aerosoft CRJ and I'm wondering if there is anyway to add this feature? Thank you. 

I think he means that he wants to program the FMC to intercept a waypoint on a desired radial/heading.

For example, ATC wants you to intercept the LOC on heading 360 and you are cleared for approach but you want to fly heading 360 in the FMC NAV source (not NAV1 or NAV2). So autopilot will fly on heading 360 in NAV mode until you intercept the LOC.

• 3 weeks later...

Sorry about the delay, here are some pictures to illustrate what I'm talking about.

Step 1: Go to DEP/ARR page to select the approach.

Please login to display this image.

Step 2: Select the desired approach

Step 3: We don't execute until we review it on the legs page. Here it what it looks like when we click on legs: Since we are on radar vectors from ATC, now we can "Clean it up, Make it big" which allows us to intercept the final approach course in white needles and all see this on the MFD for situational awareness. To "clean it up", move the fix in L3 to L2

Step 4: Notice how it preloads the INCT CRS, but its a small font. We "Make it big" by clicking on it and it will become "big" which tells the FMS thats the course you want to fly

I forgot to take a picture of the MFD screen. But you would've seen the fix CELBI and a white line going to CELBI on an inbound course of 353. I hope these images help. I have tried to do this in the aerosoft crj and it just won't do it. 

• 3 weeks later...
  • 4 months later...

Well, I hate to bring this thread back from the dead, but why is Aerosoft not addressing this? I just did a test flight again and I'm still having issues:  Aerosoft, Please fix this!

Yes, this refinement on the FMS, for “cleaning up the approach and making it big” would be icing on the cake for this great plane.   The same function is also used for setting up for visual approaches when not backed up by an instrument approach.      

• 1 month later...

I'm going to bump this thread because I've heard nothing from Aerosoft support. This is an important function of the FMS used on every flight and should be modeled correctly. 

Archived