Acceleration/SP2 problems

dswo

Clearly Acceleration/SP2 wasn't available when these products were released. But this is what I've noticed so far:

1. Rear windows on Do-27 (FSX version) are opaque.

2. Instrument panel on Katana (FSX version) is silvery, and upper-lefthand corner extends up into windscreen.

• Aerosoft
Seems to be a general "problem" with older addons.

http://forums.avsim.net/dcboard.php?az=sho...0&mode=full

Yes, both issues are caused by bugs in Acceleration. Highly unfortunate they were in the released code. We are not totally sure how to handle it. We could 'fix' it right now, only to find it has been changed in SP2.

We could 'fix' it right now, only to find it has been changed in SP2.

There is a little confusion about the Acceleration Pack and SP2 and to be honest in the end I am not fully sure, what to believe. Do you say that there will be another SP2 after the Accel Pack? I mean first good thing is that you say you can fix it. I think this is all what counts for us.. even if it makes you work harder :?

I so far believed that SP2 in Accel Pak is the final SP2? I took this information from Phil Taylor`s Blog:

So there is a reason for the delay. It is not as easy as it appears from the outside. You could argue we should have done SP2 first, but that is not realistic if you think about it. And do note, by putting SP2 into Acceleration we got additional test coverage on SP2. So not having SP2 in Acceleration would actually delay SP2 even more since a larger test pass would be required.

Acceleration has RTM’ed. Acceleration Pack contains the SP2 fixes; including both DX9 and DX10 work.

taken from: http://blogs.msdn.com/ptaylor/archive/2007...on-and-sp2.aspx

But than again it seems not be logical that the release of the stand-alone SP2 takes more time. Well.. seems I lost the orientation in the statements about SP2 and Accel Pack.

But thanks that you said you can fix it. I love the Do in FSX and I was afraid about the thought I would not be able to use it any longer after SP2.

• Aerosoft

There is a little confusion about the Acceleration Pack and SP2 and to be honest in the end I am not fully sure, what to believe. Do you say that there will be another SP2 after the Accel Pack? I mean first good thing is that you say you can fix it. I think this is all what counts for us.. even if it makes you work harder :?

I so far believed that SP2 in Accel Pak is the final SP2? I took this information from Phil Taylor`s Blog:

taken from: http://blogs.msdn.com/ptaylor/archive/2007...on-and-sp2.aspx

But than again it seems not be logical that the release of the stand-alone SP2 takes more time. Well.. seems I lost the orientation in the statements about SP2 and Accel Pack.

But thanks that you said you can fix it. I love the Do in FSX and I was afraid about the thought I would not be able to use it any longer after SP2.

As far as we know there will be an SP2 that is different from what is in Acceleration. If not we got some very very serious issues as the files we have now break major parts of FSX. Personally I got to say we do not have Acceleration loaded on most systems in the office as the new features are just not good enough to make up for the problems regarding transparencies and LODs.

Thank you for your answer. Sounds not so good. I thought MS would try to fix the reputation of FSX but now it seems we have new confusion but could be also that Phil Taylor do not know that his software engineers are planning :P

I had understood that SP2 come later only because of localisation delay. But that SP2 is fully included in the Acceleration XPack, but I could have misunderstood, that's pretty blurry on this matter

• Aerosoft
I had understood that SP2 come later only because of localisation delay. But that SP2 is fully included in the Acceleration XPack, but I could have misunderstood, that's pretty blurry on this matter

If so, better learn to live without much of the transparencies in FSX and forget about any LODs as Accel always loads the highest level even if the object is tens of miles away. The good side is that we don't have to bother about these issue anymore, not have to do 5 levels of complexity of every objects saves a lot of time. Will make FSX the only game done in the last 6 years that does not use LODs.

Hmm, this does not sound so good. These texture adjustments may be easy to do for someone familiar with SDK and/or graphics programs, but it does not sound like something achievable for the majority of users.

I really hope we don't end up with half the add-ons not supporting SP2 and the other half requiring SP2 for its additional features.

Or maybe they will release the stand alone SP2 later in order to include fixes for issues with "ACCELERATION" the stand alone SP2 will then be named SP2b or something similar.

Thats at least my hope, cause until then I probably will not install Acceleration.

Wothan

It's really an unbelievable situation that only seems to become more complicated and damages the reputation of Aces/Microsoft as they work through these issues.

I know it sounds like I am negative but looking back at day one for FSX a lot of mis-steps were made.

Perhaps that is easy to remark upon now, but...I purchased FSX Deluxe and in disgust removed it a few months ago...then SP1 came out so I gave it another go and while performance did in fact remarkably improve, other problems came up. So I again restored my good 'ol FS2004 loaded simulation. Then when Acceleration arrives, I bought it and once again installed the whole thing from scratch, only to get the dreaded "Activation errors" (I've found a fix for this) but no other game I've paid this much for has performed so poorly and with so many incompatibilities.

If I saw Phil Taylor today I wouldn't be patting him on the back. I know FSX promises glimpses of the future so its not all bad, but man the problems seem (for me ayway) to outweigh the good. And it's evidently not easy for third party addon companies like Aerosoft, either. Just look at the latest tranparency issues, and memory issues using Vista/FSX.

Oh well, I've ranted and raved enough...a positive attitude is always better than a negative one but there is a famous saying here that says: Even after you put lipstick on a pig...it's still a pig :)

Seems to be a general "problem" with older addons.

http://forums.avsim.net/dcboard.php?az=sho...0&mode=full

All due to Microsoft trying to sustain backwards compatibility.

FS11 will be very refreshing and will probably perform much better with Microsoft eliminating most of their backwards compatibility efforts...

• 2 weeks later...

Hi everyone!

I am new in a forum, so please do not be angry with me if I do something inadequat...

I have encountered the same "transparency"-bug in my Katana VC after installing Acceleration under Vista 32. And I agree with you that the offered solutions seem to be too sophisticated for a plug and play expert like me.

But, I do not want to miss my Katana. It´s my favourite plane due to the excellent VC and now it is unusable for me and the Katana has been grounded. It's not only transparency, it's an ugly something that is spread over the pilot's side of the VC.

So, is there anything planned by you like a fix that automatically performs the repairs that are offered by Phil Taylor?

I know that it is not Aerosoft's or DA's fault. But, hey, I can't ask Phil Taylor to do it. So is there anything done now by Aerosoft or DA? I did not get the whole point in this topic.

Thanks a lot

Kai

• Aerosoft
Hi everyone!

I am new in a forum, so please do not be angry with me if I do something inadequat...

I have encountered the same "transparency"-bug in my Katana VC after installing Acceleration under Vista 32. And I agree with you that the offered solutions seem to be too sophisticated for a plug and play expert like me.

But, I do not want to miss my Katana. It´s my favourite plane due to the excellent VC and now it is unusable for me and the Katana has been grounded. It's not only transparency, it's an ugly something that is spread over the pilot's side of the VC.

So, is there anything planned by you like a fix that automatically performs the repairs that are offered by Phil Taylor?

I know that it is not Aerosoft's or DA's fault. But, hey, I can't ask Phil Taylor to do it. So is there anything done now by Aerosoft or DA? I did not get the whole point in this topic.

Thanks a lot

Kai

I hope DA will provide us with a small fix in a few days.

• 2 weeks later...

I've only just had Acceleration/SP2 for a couple of days... I am seriously toying with the idea of returning to FS9. And I know that sounds like sour grapes and a bad attitude. I will probably stay FSX though, because when it works, it really is classes ahead of FS9 for looks and functionality. The thing that really gets my goat is the fact that we have had FSX plus two service packs inside a year and each time we have to learn a whole different bundle of new tweaks and fiddles to tame the beast. This time it looks like I have to repaint some two dozen legacy planes that need transparency featiures changed, both free and payware.

The enjoyment factor of FSX is so very high though, but the "annoyance factor" in the FSX user group is so unbelievably high when you consider other parts of the games market - especially when you consider the per capita spending of a flight sim enthusiast. Buy a "GAME" and you buy everything you need, buy a sim and you'll be buying hardware, extra planes, sceneries...

I am trying hard to keep a balanced view, but when I see how hard FSX has also hit the developers, then I really wonder if we ought not be pillorying ACES instead of praising them. As I say, it is a close race at the moment between love and hate. I guess once I have learned the tweaks again, I'll be back on solid ground.

But it's hard to be patient, isn't it?

I don't know about you, but since I have installed Acceleration, my Do27 FSX version has the engine dead and it's impossible to start up... at least for me....

• Aerosoft
I don't know about you, but since I have installed Acceleration, my Do27 FSX version has the engine dead and it's impossible to start up... at least for me....

I spoke to Digital Aviation about SP2 and for now their comment is that their products are just not compatible with the newly introduced bugs of SP2. While being a strong comment I can understand it.

However, a startup problem for the Do is new for me, I doubt it is connected to SP2.

I spoke to Digital Aviation about SP2 and for now their comment is that their products are just not compatible with the newly introduced bugs of SP2. While being a strong comment I can understand it.

However, a startup problem for the Do is new for me, I doubt it is connected to SP2.

Thanks a lot Mathjiskok :D for your prompt support. I don't have any issue with D.A., I'm quite sure they'll come up with a solution soon.

Thanks again

• Aerosoft

Thanks a lot Mathjiskok :D for your prompt support. I don't have any issue with D.A., I'm quite sure they'll come up with a solution soon.

Thanks again

I just wish we could give better answers on all the SP2 issues. But we got the same as other customers have. We got the same code. We know it has many serious issues and nobody seems willing to start changing stuff until MS tells us what SP2 will really be.

It bugs us seriously, hurts sales as well.

I too am getting rapidly disappointed with the situation - even though i am still flying. Things certainly do seem to be making the developer's lives difficult at the moment. My biggest grumble so far is the transparency issue, but there are others, such as the out of memory errors coming back and instability again...

I shall hope that there will be a new list of easy to follow tweaks soon.