Preview: Hughes H1 Racer

The longwinged version does 330 MPH, the shortwinged 360 MPH max airspeed at sea level.

The official speed record of the shortwinged racer was around 352 MPH,

but that was an average calculation of several races passes. Hughes did also 360 MPH passes (for example that one with the belly landing).

And you can land also on dirt tracks with that aircraft, making it possible to use almost any small airfield. It features, lets say it this way, the early version of a baby tundra tire: A low pressure tire with much volume.

• 4 weeks later...
  • Replies 107
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I have to agree JayKae, After seeing those images months ago this plane went to the front of the list to purchase.

To this day I don't think I've ever seen better shots of a new product (ones that made you wan't to buy it NOW!)

Best,

Jan

...is also focused on the sound of the aircraft. You will have a nice physical feeling of being there, the subfrequent vibrations at full power and the crazy windrush on the metal fuselage doing around 360 MPH, with much luck 370 MPH. Hughes did it with the NR-258Y on the eight speed run in Santa Ana world speed record on September 13th, 1935. But then fuel run out and he had to do his legendary vegetable field emergency belly landing. The eight run was not completed and not measured therefore. But she flies some 20 Knots faster then the average record calculation of 352 MPH. Hughes not fully opened the throttle. He had only one engine for the record try and not wanted to destroy the already totally overclocked powerplant R-1535.

This was really like a spaceship in 1935. One of the star wars movie ship designs, that of queen amidala, was influenced by the silver bullet, what the H-1 was also called by the 1930s public.

• 3 weeks later...