Release: APS - Luxembourg (Demo)

Sasa

image001.jpg

Aerosoft Photo Scenery is a strange project as we only sell you the means to create the scenery yourself.

Using APS you will download the imagery that makes the base of the scenery from servers like Google Earth or Microsoft Virtual Earth. APS will then add specially made VFR objects (major landmarks etc), high density autogen scenery so that houses and trees are at their right location and special files to merge the scenery into the default scenery without visible edges. Where needed we add water channels (landable for amphibians and floaters of course) and mesh where the default mesh leaves to be desired. The whole process of the scenery creation is fully automated (but will take some time, at least an hour on fast computers).

The first edition APS- Luxembourg is a free demonstration of this exciting new technology. It covers the whole city and the airport. Very soon we will start to deliver other sections that will mostly cover full cities (but other areas are also possible). You will be able to buy those for a small price and then proceed to create your own scenery!

Product page:

http://www.aerosoft-shop2.com/products/aps...luxembourg.html

YOUR ideas for more cities and/or areas done with APS are highly welcome!

We are already working on another city with APS. Guess the city and win a free copy here!:

http://forum.aerosoft.com/viewtopic.php?t=11245

image003.jpg

image004.jpg

image005.jpg

Great product, looks very nice! But I do have a small installation problem.

Everything works fine until after the satellite image has been downloaded. Then the installation programme starts telling me that I need to copy resample.exe into C:/Aerosofttemp and tmfviewer into the work folder. And subsequently it tells me that installation has failed.

I did change the temporary installation folder suggested by the installation programme, cause my C drive does not have 1.5 Gb available anymore. (My second windows installation is installed on the D drive)

Even after copying both files to C:/Aerosofttemp it didn't work. So if you have any suggestions, please let me know.

Cheers,

Tim.

Ps. The installation programme also could not find the installation folder of FSX, eventhough it's in the standard installation folder.

Hi Tim,

The installation process searches for the FSX SDK and gives you a message if it's not installed. Did you get that message? Because your problem is exactly that two programs required from the SDK have not been copied to the temp folder.

If the installation can't find them and you don't get an option to look for them (no idea why because it should be looking for it), have a seach for TMFViewer .exe and resample.exe on your harddrives and copy them to your work folder. If you can't find them, the SDK isn't installed properly (see system requirements) and you have to install it from your FSX DVD.

Sascha

The installation process searches for the FSX SDK and gives you a message if it's not installed. Did you get that message?

Nope, it didn't find the folder of FSX automatically, but it did find the SDK without any assistance.

Because your problem is exactly that two programs required from the SDK have not been copied to the temp folder.

If the installation can't find them and you don't get an option to look for them (no idea why because it should be looking for it), have a seach for TMFViewer .exe and resample.exe on your harddrives and copy them to your work folder. If you can't find them, the SDK isn't installed properly (see system requirements) and you have to install it from your FSX DVD.

Well it's not that I couldn't find the files, they were already in the temporary folder I entered. And I also copied them into C:Aerosofttemp but that didn't help either.

But I'll try reinstalling the SDK and see what happens. I'll let you know if it doesn't work. Thanks for the help.

Tim.

What is the highest resolution that the product will resample for the ground images? What is the largest area that can be covered?

The ground resolution is only limited by the resolution of the providing server. You know that there are cities covered with 20cm or more but usually we won't offer more than 1m/pix because FSX can't display much more in a large area and we have to keep the download size for the customer reasonable.

Therefore we can only stick to smaller areas like cities etc., areas like complete US states are certainly not possible with this product.

Grüsse

Sascha

sascha i know its not a question that should be asked.. but what's the price range we have to expect? >20? >40? >50? >100(!!)?

Even less. For the next city, covering an area populated by 1 Million people (see quiz), we're looking at about 10 EUR. That's possible because you don't have to pay for the aerial images when using APS, you just download them on your own with APS. Of course we don't charge you for the aerial images we do not own. What we charge you for are the tool, the VFR scenery, manual editing of the image with the tool and thousands and thousands of manually placed autogen objects that make it a perfect scenery and not only a flat aerial image in FSX.

Bests,

Sascha

Well it's not that I couldn't find the files, they were already in the temporary folder I entered. And I also copied them into C:Aerosofttemp but that didn't help either.

Hi Tim,

Sorry for this. Let's try to settle this problem as soon as possible. I spoke to the tool developer Börries and he thinks there could be two other reasons for your problem:

- There might be a firewall active with very high security settings. Please disconnect from the internet (no problem as you have already downloaded all necesary files), deactivate your firewall and try to run APS again.

- It might be possible that the first SDK service pack, available at www.fsinsider.com, is required. That's something we might have not noticed in the betatest because everyone might have had that service pack installed already. Download and install it.

Does it work now?

Bests,

Sascha

Does it work now?

Uhm yes, it does work. But not because of the suggestions you made unfortunately :)

Before I embarked on reinstalling the SDK and its service pack (which I also had installed). I (reluctantly) cleared up some space on my C drive. I then copied all the files from the temporary folder I created (which was H:add-onAerosoft) into C:Aerosofttemp and then ran the installation again. This time round it worked without a hitch.

So I guess the installation program doesn't like people changing the temporary folder for storing the satellite image. But I got it working and that's the important bit.

Thanks for all the help!

Tim.

Before I embarked on reinstalling the SDK and its service pack (which I also had installed). I (reluctantly) cleared up some space on my C drive. I then copied all the files from the temporary folder I created (which was H:add-onAerosoft) into C:Aerosofttemp and then ran the installation again. This time round it worked without a hitch.

Ok, we found the error!

The error message tells you to copy those files into c:Aerosofttemp.

Of course that doesn't help it you have chosen another work folder for your file. Resample.exe and TMFViewer both belong to the work folder you have chosen when starting the tool.

Bests,

Sascha

Yes well that would be one thing. But when I checked the folder which I created for the resample.exe and tmfview.exe files, they were already in there. I didn't put them there, so that couldn't really have been the reason for the error message.

And when I put the files in both folders (c:aerosofttemp and my own) it still didn't work.

So I'd say something more than just the error message is wrong. But of course, I don't really care now :) cause it works if you use the default folder.

Greets,

Tim.

I am not 100% sure of what this product is... If It means what I am thinking it is... ITs brilliant.

:shock: :D:D

I am thinking I can use this product to download photoscenery for my hometown and build a localized scenery.

Is this what it is? WOW.

So the limit here is we cannot do lower than 1megapixel? is that right? I wish I could do 7cm phto texture for my local airport and 1megapixel for the city itself.

Manny

PS: Well I think its limited to the cities y'all decide. Hmmm... If thats the case... whats in it for us? Would it be a much cheaper scenery to purchase?

BTW,,,can it be the way I initially thought. That I could download any location and build a scenery myself. I kjnow it may not be very good as a professionlly done scenery. But I would like my local airport in 7cm phototextures even with default airport objects.

:lol:

Just to let you know: If there are people still having serious problems with te tool, please send an e-mail with the log-file and a short description of your problem to: AerosoftPhotoScenery@web.de

Bests,

Sascha

Setup is stalled or slow, but if this does what is promised, then I may well do some of my own "favourite" towns... places I have lived and so on...

Hello!

@ChrisB: it seems for me more, that your firewall makes some problems, because if the setup can't get a connection (which orders required microsoft components to be downloaded),

the rest won't work. So do you have the minimum requirements?

Windows Xp SP2 or higher?

FSX Deluxe Edition ("Professinal")

FSX SDK installed

Microsoft .Net Framework installed (during Installation)

Microsoft Java Runtime installed

see help for more requirements in your installation- (not Work- ) folder.

If this problem persists or not, please contact me (and everyone else with serious problems ) at aerosoftphotoscenery@web.de ! We'll find solutions for those problems together! -Thats sure.

Kind regards,

Börries

Yes to all and firewall is off.

The problem appears to be Google - I can't see satellite images "low down", I get those grey tiles telling me that Google cannot show greater detail.

I'll send a mail out later.

[edit]Mail and descriptive screenshots sent.[/edit]

[edit]See attached images - Google Earth is fine, Google maps (satellite view) isn't. The Google Earth screenshot covers a couple of hundred metres, the Google Maps (satellite view) covers a couple of thousand Kilometres.

I've sent in a more detailed bugrep to Borries and co. but I am posting this extra infor here in case any other reader has experiences similar to mine and knows an answer.[/edit]

[edit]Hey! Third edit! I just spotted that this is my thousandth post! Makes one feel old :lol:[/edit]

• Aerosoft
I am thinking I can use this product to download photoscenery for my hometown and build a localized scenery. Is this what it is? WOW.

:lol:

Well yes, but only when we have decided to do that town. Remember it is not only images, but also all the rest that makes it a real scenery (mesh/landclass/autogen etc).

Some more to my problem...

OK, this morning I managed to log on to maps.google.com and see the satellite views again, so I started up APS and all went well for a few minutes, then APS locked up again - telling me there was no connection to google maps.

On checking google maps, I found the same situation as for my screenie "APS_google_satlite.jpg" above.

It's almost as if it's Google who is limiting my access.

Ideas anyone?

[edit]

Hmm, I see from the sales blurb that servers may not allow download of all images needed. So we need to wait 12 to 24 hours between re-starts? But does a re-start start off where you left off? I guess it should, but I didn't see it this morning - and if we want to use maps google after that it's a no go until the server "lets me in" again?

I am not sure about this - never mind your legality reminder in the sales pitch.

[/edit]

Well yes, but only when we have decided to do that town. Remember it is not only images, but also all the rest that makes it a real scenery (mesh/landclass/autogen etc).

As for your reply above, Mathijs, if that is the case, then forgive me asking, but what is the point?

If I would like Schwäbisch Hall on my PC, you'd have to build it anyway first. And if there's only me who wants SHA on my PC, then you wouldn't build it because it's not cost effective.

Or am I missing some secret USP? :?:

Hello ChrisB,

in some cases you need to wait 24 h. This problem you would also have with every other available program, which you could use to download satellite images from those servers, except those programs, directly from the provider (like Google Earth Browser f.ex.), which seem to be working in a different way and which uses other images in fact.

If you read the help in the program, you would find a solution for that problem in most cases. With some types of internet connections (for example over cable ) you have no chance for a faster solution. But please keep in back of your mind, that this limitation is also in your interest, like in interest of all users, to give everyone a chance to download imagery for free.

Mathijs,

You may want to consider that as an extension of the tool. To be a "do it yourself" tool.

E.g. My localized airport 52F (near Dallas fort worth) on the account of Justin's mesh, I have a neat detailed and accurate mesh already. If I have a 7CM 5 SQ mile photo texture for this airport... it would be great. even with the default autogens. IF there is a tool for me to adjust these autogens that would be even better. But still without it also, it has value.

This is.. Instead of feeding a man fish, you are teaching him how to fish.

Manny

• Aerosoft

As for your reply above, Mathijs, if that is the case, then forgive me asking, but what is the point?

If I would like Schwäbisch Hall on my PC, you'd have to build it anyway first. And if there's only me who wants SHA on my PC, then you wouldn't build it because it's not cost effective.

Or am I missing some secret USP? :?:

No, I think you see the point, I fail to see why it would be an issue however. We choose Monaco because we though simmers would like it, we choose Luxembourg because it looked good and was missing from any collection.

The point is simple that you now have a complete and detailed Luxembourg on your system you did not have 48 hours ago and later this week you might have another city in good detail for a very reasonable price. Basically a lot like all other scenery projects, we just can get it on your system for a lot less money, in better detail and in a very high rate of production. But yes only the areas that will work commercially. Again a lot like other scenery projects.

If it was just the images you would get a nasty rectangle of high density ground textures is a sea of lower density ground textures, without any Autogen scenery etc.

Mathijs,

You may want to consider that as an extension of the tool. To be a "do it yourself" tool.

E.g. My localized airport 52F (near Dallas fort worth) on the account of Justin's mesh, I have a neat detailed and accurate mesh already. If I have a 7CM 5 SQ mile photo texture for this airport... it would be great. even with the default autogens. IF there is a tool for me to adjust these autogens that would be even better. But still without it also, it has value.

This is.. Instead of feeding a man fish, you are teaching him how to fish.

Manny

Hello Manny,

you should remember the available options, that you'll have!

Every new Scenery made with APS could be easily published without APS and with other imagery for a much higher price. The idea is to make a scenery much cheaper while the big work for the developer is the same. Another point is, that the sceneries will cover areas, where still are no sceneries available.

So which options do you have at this point?

You can buy a complete scenery with 3D-Objects and Autogen for a new area, if this area is interesting enough for you.

You would pay for the 3D-Objects and Autogen and the program a fair price.

Without APS you would pay much more for the same city.

So the question is (and this is no joke!): Do you really want to pay more for a complete package of the scenery from Aerosoft and for other images for example, because you don't like the free images of the city?

We could do this if the customers preferred it. But I think, they won't.