Speed in A320 Autopilot

RileyD16

I've been flying the Airbus a320 allot lately but once I reach about 30,000 feet as my crusing altitude and I try to increase my speed from 250kts to get faster but when I try and increase the speed my altitude goes up and everything's out of control. This is unrealistic because as seen in real life a plane can travel at speeds up to 400kts? If anyone wants to help me out if I don't know if I'm doing something wrong or anything? 

• Deputy Sheriffs

Have you read the link Frank gave you yesterday to learn the difference between indicated airspeed, true airspeed and ground speed?

The PFD shows the indicated airspeed!

2 hours ago, RileyD16 said:

I've been flying the Airbus a320 allot lately but once I reach about 30,000 feet as my crusing altitude and I try to increase my speed from 250kts to get faster but when I try and increase the speed my altitude goes up and everything's out of control. This is unrealistic because as seen in real life a plane can travel at speeds up to 400kts? If anyone wants to help me out if I don't know if I'm doing something wrong or anything? 

As Tom says, depending on your altitude, and tail/head winds etc your true airspeed could be over 60 knots higher (or lower) than your indicated airpseed (which is showing at 250 knots on the PFD). You're forcing the plane to go faster than it's designed for, so it keeps pitching up in an effort to slow down in order to counteract your speed inputs. Even if your indicated airspeed is only reading at 250 knots at cruise altitude, trust me you're already going a lot faster than that. Just make sure to keep out of the red area and you shouldn't have any problems.

2 hours ago, RileyD16 said:

I hope you know that your question shows you know nearly nothing about airspeeds and limitations of any aircraft. You need to go back to basics and lean to fly a piston engined general aviation aircraft and most importantly learn the difference between Indicated airspeed and True airspeed and the speed limits of each aircraft etc let alone Mach speed.

The 400 knots you are referring to is most likely 400kts TAS and not 400 knots IAS, I'm going to roughly speak but when you fly at an altitude of approx FL370 you should be able to cruise at let's say 260kts indicated on your PFD (primary flight display) and that should give you a speed of let's say 440 knots TAS  (True airspeed) indicated on the top left of the ND display. Note that there is a lot to this subject and this will require studying airspeeds

I believe in FSX for the default A321 you can fly TAS on the Primary flight display in the fsx settings, note that this setting is unrealistic and should indicate IAS on the PFD and not TAS.

• Deputy Sheriffs
40 minutes ago, nealmac said:

and tail/head winds etc your true airspeed could be over 60 knots higher (or lower) than your indicated airpseed 

Tail and or headwinds have nothing to do with TAS but with GS. But I also urgently recommend the topic poster to first learn to fly an aircraft and get the basics straight.Doing it this way can be very rewarding.

40 minutes ago, nealmac said: and tail/head winds etc your true airspeed could be over 60 knots higher (or lower) than your indicated airpseed 

Tail and or headwinds have nothing to do with TAS but with GS. But I also urgently recommend the topic poster to first learn to fly an aircraft and get the basics straight.Doing it this way can be very rewarding.

fair enough but the rest of my point still stands [emoji23]

Riley,

First, welcome to the community.  I see by the number of your posts and nature of this topic that you are probably new to flight simulation, and like many you're anxious to jump right into flying commercial airliners.  You are far from alone my friend.

What we don't do a great job at is explaining that aircraft such as the Aerosoft Airbus falls into the category of a "study level" simulation. In other words, the systems are modeled after those in the real aircraft, and the aircraft is designed to handle like a real A320 series Airbus. With this in mind, one needs to possess much of the same knowledge as those who fly the aircraft in real life.  Not ALL the knowledge, but one must understand the basics of flying and the key systems in order to have a successful flight.

You don't have to be an expert to enjoy the software, but rather you can "learn as you go" if you wish to. 

It's very good advice to start with a smaller general aviation aircraft (like the Cessna 172 which is included in FSX), but I understand that many people don't want to do this.  If you don't want to start off as many of us did, then I recommend you read through the manuals (you won't understand a lot, but you'll be exposed to things which you will need to learn more about later and plus you'll then know exactly where the information is when you need to learn more about the systems).  Then watch the tutorials on You Tube a few times, and then go through the Airbus Tutorials that came with the software. You can boot up your Airbus and go through the tutorials, which will really help you.

Please understand that the Airbus isn't something you can just jump into.  I flew Boeing's for many years and thought I could just jump right in and fly the Airbus, but instead I had to go back and learn the aircraft.  You are at more of a disadvantage as you don't have the basics of flight experience, but you can overcome this.  You have some learning to do, but it's a journey that everyone here has taken and I'm certain that everyone will agree it's been well worth it and lead each of us to many hours of incredible experiences!

The last thing I'll mention is that if you wish, flight simulation can be a long term, incredible journey lasting many, many years IF you wish it to be.  I've been involved in flight simulation for well over 30 years, and thanks to new and excellent products such as those by Aerosoft, I'm not bored yet!

I wish you the very best - and HANG IN THERE!  It's worth the effort!

EDIT:  There is a very nice and brief Article on getting started in Flight Simulation HERE.  It would take volumes to cover this topic, but the author did a very good job in just a few paragraphs.

Archived