STAY with FS9 or upgrade to FSX

dobbo999

Very impressive.....

I didn't know fs9 looked that good. I still own a copy and I'm wondering how it performed on my i7 ;-)

I'm wondering if there is a difference of flightmodels between FS9 and FSX.

• Aerosoft
17 hours ago, ArtMan said:

Very impressive.....

I didn't know fs9 looked that good. I still own a copy and I'm wondering how it performed on my i7 ;-)

I'm wondering if there is a difference of flightmodels between FS9 and FSX.

Flight models are roughly the same. And it will run okay on your i7 as long as you keep in mind that it will only use one core and not all your cores. Ideally you need a CPU that has a high frequency (or a good boost level), but those have become rare.

If you compare FSX and FS9 you will see that FSX is able to handle around 1,8 times more polygons per clock cycle on a 4 core CPU.  That's why with comparable complexity of scenery (so the same number of objects in view) FSX is remarkably faster. The issue is that with comparable settings FSX will draw way more polygons and that's why it feels slower for many people. But as long as you got 30 fps (something every modern i5 or i7 should be able to do) it does not matter a lot anymore.

My pictures above look dismal due to resizing, here's a couple linked from ImageShack which I hope looks more like the original.

My point is that you can get FS9 to look very good indeed, and no modern computer would suffer any performance issues. I don't believe that 1.8 times as many polys per clock cycle improves the immersion.  And I can run 200 AI aircraft at a busy airport quite comfortably. 

• 3 weeks later...

Awesome shots, WingZ. 

And very true about the higher poly's in FSX/P3D. Big deal, andike you I'll take 10 times more AI then both put together. And last time i looked, aircraft spend most of their time in the air, not on the ground making it a mute point.  :) 

Archived