A/T stucks in THR IDLE mode

Hey Guys!

Something went wrong I guess during the last few filghts, or maybe I'm doing something wrong. Here's the situation:

I start descent from cruise altitude in managed mode, I set the altitude around 5000 ft. While descending the most of the time the A/T is in THR IDLE mode, but if it's necessary it changes to SPEED mode, and holds the speed. That's okay, this is its normal operation. Around 10000 ft I switch off the autopilot, and fly the aircraft manually until landing, the only thing I'm setting on the FCU is the speed.

The problem is, that when for example I'm descending at a speed of 220, A/T is in THR IDLE mode, I set the speed to 180 on the FCU, and the airspeed happens to decrease below 180, the A/T doesn't change to SPEED mode and holds the speed I've set. So it doesn't do what it has to, I don't know why, and I also don't know what circumstances are needed, to make A/T behave like this.

If someone has an idea for this please share.

Thanks,

Adam

• Deputy Sheriffs

When you fly without the AP do you still have the FD's on? And if yes, are you still in managed descent?

• Deputy Sheriffs

Let me ask you. In your example that it will not hold 180kts, are you flying level? And are you above or below the 5000 you set in the FCU?

Let me ask you. In your example that it will not hold 180kts, are you flying level? And are you above or below the 5000 you set in the FCU?

At the time I realize it is still in THR IDLE mode and won't hold the speed I set, I'm below the altitude I've set, following or capturing the glide slope. Today I made a try again, I activated the approach mode manually on the MCDU, armed the approach mode on the FCU and there was no problem. Maybe approach mode was not active last time, but the descent mode was, and in this mode it controls speed by picth in THR IDLE mode.

When does approach mode activates automatically?

Same thing when approaching Rome Fiumicino RWY 34L ILS - when turn on APR button and catching gs, AP should maintain landing speed 130 KTS, but a/thr stuck at THR Idle - speed goes down to 120 and its close to stalling with SPEED warning ! even if i manually set speed to 130kts nothing happend - still THR Idle. FSX Sp2; Clean install of Airbus SP3; ASN SP2B 5575; headwind 11kts at Fiumicino; 35 FPS all time. I also have oscillations problem. Aerosoft what did You do with this beautful plane ?:(

Iv also encountered this problem on the older versions I think V1.16, V1.21 (A320/A319 IAE) about 3 times out of 100s of flights, and V1.3 (A320 IAE) on my first flight. It's very rare but when it does happen there is absolutely no way of controlling speed with autothrottle engaged in managed or selected modes, so I continue manually.

IV done 100s of flights in the Airbus IAEs, and it has only happened 3-4 times, I can remember it happened to me during an approach into Innsbruck runway 26 (A319 IAE v1.21 from gatwick) once I disconnected the autopilot I think in managed speed mode and all I could hear is a warning of SPEED SPEED SPEED, I tried selected mode with no luck so I disengaged the autothrottle.

By the way MCT and TOGA trust work fine during this bug, but once the Climb speed is selected again it drops back to idle.

• 2 weeks later...
  • Deputy Sheriffs

Do you always have FPS below 18 during approaches Oliver? Because that is what I see on your last 4 screenshots.

Do you always have FPS below 18 during approaches Oliver?

Not when flying the NGX! :D

Seriously, in crz my fps fluctuate in a repeating pattern between what you see in the screens and the limit of 30. Close-up scenery makes them deteriorate. What you see is typical for my setup and it's a familiar observation to see fps improve when switching from the Bus to the NGX at the end of a flight - i.e. at the gate (just for the occasional comparison of performances). Scenery settings in those pics are modest, with the possible exception of VoxATC throwing in a bit too much AI traffic around arrival airports.

EDIT:

Actual fps depend on a bunch of parameters; this is just to give you an idea (and your milage may vary):

post-63814-0-24277600-1429971852_thumb.j

post-63814-0-21876800-1429971846_thumb.j

Oliver; ever heard something about minimum FPS with the bug as Airbus beta tester? ;)

And concerning the NGX:

http://forum.aerosoft.com/index.php?/topic/88374-framerate-issues-revisited-again/

Since you were using this term in your reply, Frank; isn't the Aerosoft Airbus called 'bug' instead of 'bus' for a reason? :P

Jokes aside - minimum fps:

The official Aerosoft requirement has been "a solid 18 fps" for a long time (since the Extended) and this was officially confirmed just recently for the current releases.

Unofficially, former versions could be flown with under 18 fps (12 - 15 fps), again, those were not officially confirmed findings by customers.

No matter what the exact minimum figure is, they have all been related to the flight controls ("fly-by-wire") in autoflight, not to the autothrust. (Has this changed just recently, maybe?)

Thanks for referencing the other thread, Frank. Unfortunately my topic search brought nothing up there for either 'NGX' or '737'.

EDIT: Heck, the NGX is mentioned there; why didn't the forum search box bring it up?

• Deputy Sheriffs

Thanks for referencing the other thread, Frank. Unfortunately my topic search brought nothing up there for either 'NGX' or '737'.

EDIT: Heck, the NGX is mentioned there; why didn't the forum search box bring it up?

Search string must always have more then 3 characters. Restriction of IP.Board

Thanks, Otto.

On the topic of 'A/THR idle' and 'speed low' warnings supposedly being related to low frame rates:

Have just gone through a number of scenarios and configurations with my scenery settings insanely increased (resulting in v e r y low fps, obviously). Situations and configurations with the A319 CFM, v.1.30c in FSX-MS included:

• flying level at minimum clean speed with gear extended
  • flying level at S- and F-speeds with L/G extended
  • flying level in CONF full with L/G extended
  • flying without ASN and clear/no weather theme
  • flying with ASN in head- and tailwinds, including "down the beam" (= ILS)

I did neither encounter "THR idle" nor "spd low" situations even a single time, despite the fact that my fps were constantly very low (12 - 15 fps; even using time acceleration 2x did not change those findings!!). Fps are not the cause here, there must be something else triggering those issues. (I'm puzzled myself that today not even a single 'spd low' warning occurred during my tests flights.)

Now enjoy a couple of screenshots, demonstrating that proper working of the A/THR is hardly related to fps at all (only CONF full on the ILS is presented now):

post-63814-0-02675500-1430030825_thumb.j

post-63814-0-26867900-1430030821_thumb.j

post-63814-0-26531900-1430030817_thumb.j

post-63814-0-21881600-1430030813_thumb.j

post-63814-0-22643800-1430030809_thumb.j

post-63814-0-28539500-1430030805_thumb.j

post-63814-0-31945000-1430030801_thumb.j

post-63814-0-80555100-1430030796_thumb.j

post-63814-0-06142900-1430030792_thumb.j

The fact that Aerosoft repeatedly blames bugs and other failures on "frame rates" is infuriating. MS Flight Simulator X is a 9 year old, poorly optimized program that thousands of dollars invested in hardware will barely net you 20 fps.

Stop using FPS as a scapegoat for bad coding. FSX is not going to get any better. Your product can.

Stop using FPS as a scapegoat for bad coding.

Nonsense. FPS is not a scapegoat for bugs. FPS is a real issue when you do customer support and the system logics starts falling behind because of the lack of processing power there of.

Nevertheless, the issue is being looked into, but with low reproduciability (less than 2% of the flights so far done in testing), its hard to collect debug information.

Nonsense. FPS is not a scapegoat for bugs. FPS is a real issue when you do customer support and the system logics starts falling behind because of the lack of processing power there of.

Well, all my testing today was done after a single FSX launch, in a single flight created. During that single flight, I changed parameters accordingly (aircraft configuration, ASN on and off, go-around, 2nd approach for the other rwy end, and so on). No 2nd flight and no restart of FSX was performed. The screenshots only cover a fraction of my sim time today, and even that period amounts to about 19 minutes. Not a single system "started falling behind" in that period with low fps.

- This may be different for other issues/customer reports, though! And I do recognize that, initially, developers and testers may have been led into thinking that these issues actually could be fps-related. -

Nevertheless, the issue is being looked into - Thanks, Joshua and all who are involved. - , but with low reproduciability - Not so many flights with v1.30c for me, but I am inclined to agree; compare my reply in my previous post. - (less than 2% of the flights so far done in testing), its hard to collect debug information.

Remember: "Bugs, you can run ... but you can't hide!" :lol:

Not a single system "started falling behind" in that period with low fps.

You wouldn't know that, since you are not able to see behind the scenes of the full systems running. And there is a reasoning behind what I say, and being a tester before, you will know that.

You wouldn't know that, since you are not able to see behind the scenes of the full systems running. (...)

Correct, and to be more precise than before, I was unable to notice any consequences, relevant to my flight, stemming from my deliberately low fps.

Very similar to the issue the error memory of my car recorded ages ago: The fault has existed for quite some time, but has been inconsequential to my car journeys.

(...), and being a tester before, (...)

"I have no clear memory of that, Sir!" :ph34r:

Archived