Andras Field Round The World Challenge

Matt_Smith

andras2.jpg

A brief intro, this is basically a giant round the world trip that I was planning on flying, when it occured to me that it would be so much more fun if I could get a lot of people flying it at the same time - and to share our experiences and stories. Then the old grey matter went into over-drive, what if we could make it more interesting and reward people for thier achievements along the way. Well to cut a long story short. After shed loads of work between Ole and myself we have managed to devise a fool proof (it needs to be so that I can fly it lol) challenge. You do not need to own Andras Field to join in as we have a suitable atlernate for you to use. Similar length runways and all that. So we here by invite you all to join in the fun and games. Below be the rules etc - If they don't put you off then drop me an email (events@andrasfield.com) to get signed up.

To enter this challenge you will be required to have FSFlyingSchool on your system. Those that don't have FSFlyingSchool, will be able to obtain a free copy for the purposes of this challenge. Although, to get your copy you need to fly the prologue flights succesfully, and by taking a free copy you agree to the following: You will complete the Andras Field Round The World Challenge in its entirety along with a pre challenge qualifier. Those who accept the free software and who do not complete the challenge will be expected to pay for the software. Failing to do so, will cause a ban by the developers of FSFlyingSchool, hence causing the software to lose valuable features.

Enough of the serious stuff onto the fun..

The challenge will consist of the prologue, and 5 phases starting and finishing at Andras Field. For those of you who don't have Andras Field, your alternate start and finish aerodrome will be Oberpfaffenhofen (EDMO). The prologue does NOT require FSFlyingSchool.

EAFSRTWC.jpg

Each of the 5 phases must be completed within 6 weeks.

You will be allowed to choose only 3 aircraft to fly round the world in, plus one mandatory, namely the DC-3 (because props rule)

The other 3 aircraft must be:

a. A Two, three or four engine Jet

b. A piston engine aircraft, single or multi engine

c. A Turbo Prop , either multi or single engine

Example: Lear jet, Baron 58, C208. These must be announced prior to the start of the challenge!

You will be allowed to change ONE aircraft during the challenge. This because IF a new, exciting aircraft should be released while the challenge is undergoing, you can then swap one of your selected ones for this new dream... Apart from this, no deviation from your selected aircraft is allowed. We will know if it isn't a newly released aircraft.

The Rules

Phase 1 is 16 legs, you cannot use an individual aircraft more than 4 times in this segment.

Phase 2 is 15 legs, you cannot use an individual aircraft more than 4 times in this segment.

Phase 3 is 12 legs you cannot use an individual aircraft more than 3 times in this segment.

Phase 4 is 13 legs, each aircraft can only be used 4 times in this segment.

Phase 5 is 19 legs, each aircraft can be used no more than 5 times.

Each leg will be scored using FS FlyingSchool, and your scores must be posted into the relevant forum along with screenshots with commentaries/stories as we all like to share our adventures.

For those who don´t know FSFlyingSchool, it is a program that, when run, tracks your every move, and rates your flights and landings with a score, based on your performance, and the aircraft you use, the bigger and faster the aircraft, the higher you can score - IF you can handle the aircraft.

Every leg of flight is to be flown ONCE and once only. FSFS makes its own logbook, and this logbook must be mailed to us (events@andrasfield.com) at the end of each segment, to allow us to prevent any cheating.

For more info head over to www.fsflyingschool.com and take a look. A free demo can be downloaded to familiarize yourself with the program if needed.

Anyone found to be cheating will be disqualified; no ifs, buts, maybes or warnings.

You may choose to fly legs either online or offline, the rules remain the same - please do use real world weather, it makes it more fun.

The Prizes:

There will be a prize for the winner of each phase. So the pilot with the highest overall score per segment. There will also be a prize for the pilot with the highest landing score in each phase. By my reconing that's 10 prizes by the end of phase 5!

The overall winner, this pilot will receive not only the kudos of being the best pilot but also the following: the c172 detail and voice command pack for FS FlyingSchool, Taxi way Delta named after them (in memory of their historic achievement (if they already own Andras Field)), A plot on the Airpark (if you don't already own one (if you do not own Andras Field you will win a copy)) and maybe something else if the organisers and sponsors are feeling generous!

The Prologue

Flight 1: EAFS/EDMO to LFMN (Nice/Cote d'Azur) in a Turbo Prop

Flight 2: LFMN to LIPV (San Nicolo) in the DC-3

Flight 3: LIPV to LSGS (sion) in a Piston Engine Twin

Flight 4: LSGS to LOWI (Innsburck) in a Jet

Flight 5: LOWI to EAFs/EDMO in a Plane of your choice.

Once you have completed the flights please post your screen shots along with a capture of your FSX logbook clearly showing the flights in our screenshot forum.

As an optional extra you my also post comentary/story to go with the screenshots. The prologue finishes Wednesday 6th April at 2200 UTC.

Hey guys,

still a couple of question here:

first of all, how strict is the swapping aircraft rule?

I mean, using the default 737-800 and switching to the PMDG NGX when it's released, or starting whit the Ariane 737-900ER and switching to the 737-700ER, does that also count as switching?

actually, I see 3 levels here:

1) switching same aircraft, but different developer (ariane vs. PMDG, or vs. default FSX in case of the 737, Aerosoft vs Wilco, default of CLS for Airbus A320 family etc)

2) same aircraft family but different 'dash' (737-700ER vs 737-900ER, or A320 vs A319)

3) completely switching aircraft (737 vs 757, or C208 vs turbine duke)

Obviously number 3 is definitely switching, but what about numbers 1 and 2??

second, any chance we can change the DC-3? I like the DC-3 in itself, but I don't have a good version for FSX, and to be honest, I don't think I'll be interested in any other than should A2A make one with Accusim (which isn't happening at the moment)

For example, the A2A B-17 is from the same time frame, has the same type of engines, only a rudimentary autopilot like the DC-3, but is heavier and faster, and has 4 engines instead of 2.

If you really force the DC-3, I'll live with it, but I thought I'd just ask.... :)

And third, before the actual world tour begins, will there be a complete flight plan posted?

For example, and MS Excel file, with departure airfield (ICAO code), arrival airfield and distance for that leg? (and if you really have to, length of longest runway, airport elevation etc... yeah, I know it's part of the pilots flight planning, but hey... :P )

And that grouped per phase... It would make planning everything, and particularly which aircraft to use for which flight, a lot easier.

Hey guys,

still a couple of question here:

first of all, how strict is the swapping aircraft rule?

I mean, using the default 737-800 and switching to the PMDG NGX when it's released, or starting whit the Ariane 737-900ER and switching to the 737-700ER, does that also count as switching?

actually, I see 3 levels here:

1) switching same aircraft, but different developer (ariane vs. PMDG, or vs. default FSX in case of the 737, Aerosoft vs Wilco, default of CLS for Airbus A320 family etc)

2) same aircraft family but different 'dash' (737-700ER vs 737-900ER, or A320 vs A319)

3) completely switching aircraft (737 vs 757, or C208 vs turbine duke)

Obviously number 3 is definitely switching, but what about numbers 1 and 2??

second, any chance we can change the DC-3? I like the DC-3 in itself, but I don't have a good version for FSX, and to be honest, I don't think I'll be interested in any other than should A2A make one with Accusim (which isn't happening at the moment)

For example, the A2A B-17 is from the same time frame, has the same type of engines, only a rudimentary autopilot like the DC-3, but is heavier and faster, and has 4 engines instead of 2.

If you really force the DC-3, I'll live with it, but I thought I'd just ask.... :)

And third, before the actual world tour begins, will there be a complete flight plan posted?

For example, and MS Excel file, with departure airfield (ICAO code), arrival airfield and distance for that leg? (and if you really have to, length of longest runway, airport elevation etc... yeah, I know it's part of the pilots flight planning, but hey... :P )

And that grouped per phase... It would make planning everything, and particularly which aircraft to use for which flight, a lot easier.

To keep things simple, a change is a change be it a A320 - A321 or a 737-300 to a 737-900. So if you were to say start out withe the default Lear (or any other jet aircraft) then purcharse NGX when it arrives you would be able to do that as your sole change for the challenge.

As far as the DC3 goes Im affraind your stuck with it. It will make things more challenging and more fun ;)

The flight plan for phase one will be released after the prologue closes. It was just going to be in text format, but seeing as you asked I can put it into an excel spreadsheet. I wont be putting in elevations or runways lenghts (as it will take up too much time) but I'll certainly put the direct to distance in

To keep things simple, a change is a change be it a A320 - A321 or a 737-300 to a 737-900. So if you were to say start out withe the default Lear (or any other jet aircraft) then purcharse NGX when it arrives you would be able to do that as your sole change for the challenge.

As far as the DC3 goes Im affraind your stuck with it. It will make things more challenging and more fun ;)

The flight plan for phase one will be released after the prologue closes. It was just going to be in text format, but seeing as you asked I can put it into an excel spreadsheet. I wont be putting in elevations or runways lenghts (as it will take up too much time) but I'll certainly put the direct to distance in

I can live with all that!

Text format is no problem either for me for the flight plan, as you can automatically import text data in excel...

c. A Turbo Prop , either multi or single engine - or helicopter/Tilt Rotor if you really want.

I was just reading the FSFlyingschool manual, downloaded from the website, and it said this:

Do not choose a helicopter, glider, aerobatic plane or

fighter as such flying is not supported by FSFlyingSchool – yet...

I'm not yet familiar with the program, but this might mean tiltrotors will be a problem... as will normal choppers

Thanks for pointing that out. I shall double check make to make sure

Yep my mistake, appologies. Fixed wing only people.

Ok, but are fighter aircraft still allowed for the round the world trip or just for the Prologue?

As Ole said somewhere - cant find the post of the want of trying now though, but, FSFlyingSchool isnt really designed for use with Fighter Jets. In the Proglogue of course you can use what ever you like so long as they are a Turbo Prop, DC-3, Piston twin, a jet and anything you like for the 5th filght

As Ole said somewhere - cant find the post of the want of trying now though, but, FSFlyingSchool isnt really designed for use with Fighter Jets. In the Proglogue of course you can use what ever you like so long as they are a Turbo Prop, DC-3, Piston twin, a jet and anything you like for the 5th filght

That said, you CAN fly fighters with FSFlyingSchool. But be sure to treat it V E R Y gentle.... You cannot use gliders or Helicopters though. Only powered fixed wing aircraft.

Great initiative guys.

In one brilliant stroke you have pulled my attention back to the Andras Field community.

Unfortunately time constraints keep me from completing the prologue in time but good luck to the contestants and expect to see me in the Andras Field forums more often.

Kasper

Oh, out of all of the legs in all the phases how many miles will the longest leg have?

Also are we allowed to slightly tweak the engine parameters in our planes; basically soup up the engine(s) to make the plane go a little faster (E.g: turbo charge a DC3)?

Oh, out of all of the legs in all the phases how many miles will the longest leg have?

Also are we allowed to slightly tweak the engine parameters in our planes; basically soup up the engine(s) to make the plane go a little faster (E.g: turbo charge a DC3)?

I must say that I am a bit surprised.... People talk about Time acceleration and engine tweaking - which is time acceleration in disguise - and I think. WT*beep*? blink.gif

Come on guys - we choose aircraft, and we fly them using normal rules and settings. If we didnt - I dont see the point in doing this at all.wacko.gif

We could all take the fastest fighterplane - tweak it to double speed, use time acceleration x64, and set it to unlimited fuel, and simply speed around the world in no time flat - but what fun would that be?

Let this be as real as we can do it. No cheating, alterations, modifications or anything else. Please! smile.gif

Also as a side note its very easy to tell if anyone made any "illegal" tweaks to their planes, which will result in disqulification from the contest.

With the start of the RTWC and phase 1 now officially announced,

I was wondering about that serial for FSFS.

It's just that I'd love to put in a practice flight or 2 (or 3, or 4...) before having to do it for real.

I know we have ample time, but still... better safe than sorry.

With the start of the RTWC and phase 1 now officially announced,

I was wondering about that serial for FSFS.

It's just that I'd love to put in a practice flight or 2 (or 3, or 4...) before having to do it for real.

I know we have ample time, but still... better safe than sorry.

Lars - and all the rest who qualify for a copy of FSFlyingSchool. First of all - good work lads. Great to see the number of competitors (including the ones who HAVE a copy of FSFlyingSchool) Now - regarding the sponsored copy of FSFlyingSchool...

Later today you will get instructions on how to get your serial. I suggest you all head to FSFlyingSchool and download the demoversion, and install it. (The demoversion is the entire program, but with a few features blocked. Once you enter the serial keys, the limitations will go away. ohmy.gif

So install the demo (of FSFlyingSchool 2011) and FSUIPC (if you dont have that already) and run the "generate runways for FSX" process in the "settings" tab. Then please spend a few hours reading the manual. It contains a lot of info needed to get tbe most out of FSFlyingSchool - and consequently better scores. rolleyes.gif

I´ll get back to you the minute I know the details.

Good luck guys. smile.gif