The Round The World crew coming home!

• Aerosoft

Two and a half years ago an intrepid bunch of pilots taxied to the runway at Paderborn airport (where our HQ is) to depart for a trip around the world. They had no idea of the route and no idea when they would return.  It turned out to be two and half years! This Sunday they will fly the last leg to land at Paderborn late afternoon.

It was very much a community driven trip where there was a rough route but pilots could pick airports that suited their aircraft, and every week there was a new discussion where to head to next.  They used every possible kind of aircraft, from Twin Otters to Airbuses and landed at every kind of airport, from Lukla to Heathrow, over 150 (!) stops in total. They crossed oceans and deserts and had to evade massive storms.

Please login to display this image.

Aerosoft welcomes the pilots back to Paderborn and because their aircraft are most likely worn and in serious need of maintenance we have put a fresh CRJ in their hangar. We have even asked the paint shed to give it a suitable lick of paint.

Please login to display this image.

Please welcome them back with a short note!

• Deputy Sheriffs

Unfortunately I was part of the crew only in the beginning. But as I made a similar trip before this one came up, I know how much fun you can have.

And for those who have never done something like this I can only recommend to do so, as it is the best way to get some serious flight experience in your flightsim and learn your preferred aircraft very well.

I did this real roundtrip with a Pilatus PC-12 and it was great fun, although I had to use default airports in most cases:
http://www.indianairforce.nic.in/expedition/expedition1.php#Intro

• Deputy Sheriffs

What an amazing dedication to a hobby. You guys are adventurers for "going" new places while most of us fly familiar surroundings

Also, enjoy your new hangar prize. I'll bet you didn't see that coming. ^_^

It was a fantastic experience. Unfortunately due to personal circumstances I'm not quite there yet. I have another 8 legs to go, but I will finish these over the next couple of weeks. My story started about a year after the tour began. I mostly used Aerosoft's A320 but I often deviated to other aircraft, just for a change. Starting so late meant I had a huge catch-up to do. I eventually met up with the rest of the guys while flying up the west coast of the USA, and at one point I managed to get out in front. I started out using FSX, then I moved to P3Dv3 and now I'm on P3Dv4. Moving to version 4 meant that I can no longer use the A320 (for now) so I have switched to the PMDG 737. I have met some really cool people due to this project, many of whom I would now consider as good friends. If any of them ever visit Ireland I would gladly buy them a beer.

I would also echo what Otto said above. If you haven't been a part of such a project, I would very much advise it. It's a great way to learn about the world, and practice flying different aircraft, and landing many different types of approach.

13 minutes ago, Mathijs Kok said:

We do it with Trainsim and bus sim next time, lol.

My vote goes in for "My Paper Boat"!

Archived