CPDLC

• CPDLC gauge added (no code behind it, waiting for VATSIM and IVAO)

According to the list of features on this post http://forum.aerosoft.com/index.php?/topic/85040-new-features-and-existing-features/?hl=cpdlc per the above statement you Aerosoft is waiting on VATSIM and IVAO to implement CPDLC

This wont happen, CPDLC is already widely used on the VATSIM network, however it is not VATSIM that manages it, its run off a stand alone server by Jerone Hoppenbrouwers

Jerone's work is entirely open source, Aerosoft should contact him to implement it into the Airbus.

vACC/ARTCC/Divsions on VATSIM all use this network to facilitate CPDLC communications.

Vatsim Germany has a plug in http://board.vacc-sag.org/129/56648/

Vatsim Australia Pacific (VATPAC) Introduced a plug in to their TAAATS modification for use in Eurpscope https://www.dropbox.com/s/nngky8ecdggav34/Screenshot%202014-12-04%2016.49.39.png?dl=0

All these plug ins or modifications use the Hoppies ACARS network.

I would suggest that if Aerosoft is serious about implamenting CPDLC that they use the Hoppies network, as VATSIM has no need or desire to create their own system.

You can read more about the discussion of its use on VATSIM over on this forum http://forums.vatsim.net/viewtopic.php?f=6&t=51232&start=150

You can read more about the hoppies network here, http://www.hoppie.nl/acars/

The network is also used by TOPCAT

Cheers

Kirk

Ok, im not up to speed as to how the devs of swift would be implamenting CPDLC.

In my opinipn the hoppies network is already used by a vast number of ATC clients and TOPCAT, would it not be benificial for Aerosoft to use that network instead.

• 1 month later...

Any answers from the developers about using Hoppies network as an alternate to what ever SWIFT comes up with, the majority of controller clients use plug ins that connect to the hoppies network.

It doesn't seem fit that my posts have been marked as negative, what part of them was not helpful?

I'm sorry, but we have no intention to include the hoppie network.

To our information it's just not used widely enough to make it worthwhile.

I'm sorry, but we have no intention to include the hoppie network.

To our information it's just not used widely enough to make it worthwhile.

This doesn't make any sense, you say that the network that is used by TOPCAT, PSX, Sim Avionics, Prosim and the vast majority of VATSIM/IVAO ATC is "not used widely enough"

But you are waiting on the development of a pilot client for one network?

People can use hoppies network online or offline, people will only be able to use swift on the VATSIM network, and there is no firm indication from the developers of SWIFT on how CPDLC will function with current ATC CPDLC plug ins already using the hoppies network.

Well, ask a hundret simmers and see how many use it. We did that and not even 1% of all customers used it.

Of all the VATSIM ATC I asked around 20% even ever heared about it, not to talk about those that actually used it.

It may be integrated in those programs, but that doesn't mean people use it.

Does that mean that CPDLC is not going to be implemented in the bus as indicated in the list?

Would it not be suffice to say that more people might use it if they had better access to it, IE through a gauge on a popular aircraft, rather than through the external MCDU unit that's currently available.

Granted use of the hoppies network is low in the vatsim environment, however that could be attributed to the fact that ability to link the network and a CPDLC interface to the controller client software is only a new concept, since the release of euro scope and its ability to create plug ins.

I know that last couple of years interest has spiked over the network, in regards to CPDLC.

at least it would be nice to have a METAR REQUEST function

You are confusing ACARS and CPDLC here. Weatherinfo can only be requested via ACARS, not via CPDLC

Does that mean that CPDLC is not going to be implemented in the bus as indicated in the list?

Would it not be suffice to say that more people might use it if they had better access to it, IE through a gauge on a popular aircraft, rather than through the external MCDU unit that's currently available.

Granted use of the hoppies network is low in the vatsim environment, however that could be attributed to the fact that ability to link the network and a CPDLC interface to the controller client software is only a new concept, since the release of euro scope and its ability to create plug ins.

I know that last couple of years interest has spiked over the network, in regards to CPDLC.

No, it means CPDLC will be implemented once the Swift client is available that will include this by default as Patrick already indicated in the first reply in this thread.

I know, but CPDLC works over ACARS protocol no ??

so if the goal is to modelised ACARS functions, maybe AS can start by modeling ACARS METAR REQUEST function before finding a good way of modeling CPDLC with online flying networks

305211ATSU.jpg

Emanuel, if you want to be right on words :

CPDLC functions are in the ATC part of the ATSU (Air Traffic Service Unit)

WX, METAR, NOTAM, company msg are in the AOC (Airline Operation Control) part of the system

and BOTH works over ACARS network

374083ACARS.jpg

Kenz

I'm sorry, but there are no plans for an ACARS at the moment. It has been descided a long time ago what will be done and right now we have no intention to include additional features other than those planned anymore.

too bad :-(

on one hand I understand why developpers are shy to develop CPDLC functions cause it means finding a solution that suits third parties (online networks),

but I don't understand why no developpers make some simple AOC functions, finding metar info over internet and displaying it in a mcdu gauge must not be the most difficult things to do in my idea.

anyway, good luck with CPDLC ;-)

kenz

Well, it's not just downloading a METAR from the internet, which would be easy.

Since there are simmers using historic weather, using default FS weather, using real weather, used delayed real weather (VATSIM weather for example), etc. you would have to read the weather from the simulator itself.

This introduces different problems though since there are weatherengines manipulating weather in the distance.

With ASN for example you will never have any weather beding a range of 250NM or so (not absolutly sure on this one, but it was something like this). So if you'd then request weather while you still have an hour to go you'd not get any usefull results.

For sure you could start searching for a solution for this and I'm quite sure one could actually find some (reading weather from a single engines cache as it's done with the ASN weather radar by many addons is not a solution for us!), but you see the kind of problem we're facing here.

There are reasons why no developer has done this yet.

No, it means CPDLC will be implemented once the Swift client is available that will include this by default as Patrick already indicated in the first reply in this thread.

The developers of SWIFT have not indicated yet weather or not they will have their own server (at great cost to the development) or use the Hoppies network (no cost)

http://forums.vatsim.net/viewtopic.php?p=479239#p479239

Using SWIFT would restrict your customers to VATSIM only, causing IVAO users to miss out on this feature.

As all answers have been given and the decision has been made, no need to discusss this again and again.

And with these words I will close this topic since further discussion will lead nowhere. We have told our position on this and we have told your our reasons. I don't see any reason why we should discuss this any further.

Archived