Whilst we are waiting for FSX.............a knowledge thread

George W

Whilst a number of new development are dependent on FSX, I thought it might be useful in the interim, to start a thread in which we could share questions and answers to improve our FS and flying knowledge (providing Mathijs does not mind)

So to get the ball rolling, here are my first two questions:

What function do the cowl flaps serve, and when should they be opened or closed?

What function does prop synch serve, and when should it be used?

Simple questions I know...........but the answers will be new knowledge to me

i dont know exactly but as far as i know the cowl flaps are for oilcooling.

and prop synch, as the name indicates, synchs (synchronates or something like that... :D ) the two or more props.

ie, in the C-130 one prop is the master and the other three are slaved.

this means the prop governors of the slaved props react exactly the same as the master prop governor, unlike reacting individually to their 'own' engine.

this results in exactly the same rpm of the props and reduces vibration and noise.

hope this helps

Burt

Make some homework and try again. :lol:

SquadronLeader

Answer 1

http://stoenworks.com/Tutorials/Cowl%20Fla...Engine%20C.html

Answer 2

When the propeller RPMs in a multi-engine aircraft are not synchronized, you hear an annoying and tiring hamonic beating than sounds like wwowwowwowwow. You'll also feel a harmonic vibration in the airframe. When the props are properly synchornized, you hear wwwwwwwwww and the harmonic vibration is reduced or eliminated.

Props can be manually synchronized, but prop synch is meant to help you automatically synchronize the RPM settings between engines so you don't hear a harmonic "beating". Out of synch propellers will not be as obvious or as annoying in a simulator as in a real plane.

In most aircraft with prop synch, you first manually synchronize the props by moving the prop levers to get the RPMs close, then activate the prop synch switch. The synchrophaser will then make small adjustements in the prop RPMs to keep the props at the same RPM. Usually, the right engine RPM is slaved to the left engine setting, but this can vary from aircraft to aircraft.

When adding or reducing power, you usually disengage prop synch until you have stabilized the power setting and manually synchronized the props to close to the same RPM. Prop synch should be disengaged for takeoff and approach to landing, since it might prevent full power output.

Bye

David

Hi Skydvdan

Now that was funny.

Dan

Tucson, AZ

System specs:

Asus A8N32-SLI-Deluxe

AMD Athlon 64 X2 4800+

2GB Corsair XMS PC3200

GeForce 7900GT KO

This equipment can move A Boeing 747 :lol:

David

Hi skydvdan

I have a P4 2.8 Mhz ,1 Giga Ram memory and a ATI 9600XT 256 Mb

display controller and my mother board is an Asus P4C-800.It takes the FSX with realism sliders full to the right,with no problem.I don't know the AMD family,but as the FSX uses very complex mathematic calculations,it has to have a fast bus mother board.

Now what I know is,that any component in the computer that is "weak"

will effect all it's performances.

Btw,some guys think that the memory Ram is A significant factor if the value is higher,but also the memory seek time is important.

Bye

David-PHD in computer science

Hi skydvdan

I have a P4 2.8 Mhz ,1 Giga Ram memory and a ATI 9600XT 256 Mb

display controller and my mother board is an Asus P4C-800.It takes the FSX with realism sliders full to the right,with no problem.I don't know the AMD family,but as the FSX uses very complex mathematic calculations,it has to have a fast bus mother board.

Now what I know is,that any component in the computer that is "weak"

will effect all it's performances.

Btw,some guys think that the memory Ram is A significant factor if the value is higher,but also the memory seek time is important.

Bye

David-PHD in computer science

When you say no problem what kind of numbers are we talking about?

The numbers won't matter. He's delusional.

A 9600XT doesn't have the horsepower to run FS9 well, let alone FSX. 1 gig of RAM is not enough for FSX. a Pentium P4 2.8 is a steam train in the age of maglev and if he's got that lot working FSX with realism sliders all the way to the right then he's either BS'ing or being exceptionally clever with words - the `realism sliders` control the flight models, not the scenery and have no significant impact on fps. And if he doesn't know that then I don't want to take advice from him, PHD in Computer Science or no :)

Pardon my pedanticism, but I don't have a degree in cynicism. I'm 100% cynical...

The numbers won't matter. He's delusional.

A 9600XT doesn't have the horsepower to run FS9 well, let alone FSX. 1 gig of RAM is not enough for FSX. a Pentium P4 2.8 is a steam train in the age of maglev and if he's got that lot working FSX with realism sliders all the way to the right then he's either BS'ing or being exceptionally clever with words - the `realism sliders` control the flight models, not the scenery and have no significant impact on fps. And if he doesn't know that then I don't want to take advice from him, PHD in Computer Science or no :)

Pardon my pedanticism, but I don't have a degree in cynicism. I'm 100% cynical...

Numbers do matter. Maybe what he thinks is great performance is way different than my definition. Hence the numbers query. I hear alot of people claim to get this magical performance with FSX on hardware alot less powerful than mine so I always have to ask. Some people think that 7-10fps is great performance. Others think that just because their fps hits 30+ every 15-20 seconds, for just a millisecond that that is where you measure your performance...the highest number achieved. It's my understanding that you can trade performance profiles in FSX. When I figure out how it's done I'm going to have to ask some people for their profiles and give them mine to get benchmarks. Simon...breathe in thru nose and out of mouth. :wink:

• Aerosoft

Numbers do matter. Maybe what he thinks is great performance is way different than my definition. Hence the numbers query. I hear alot of people claim to get this magical performance with FSX on hardware alot less powerful than mine so I always have to ask. Some people think that 7-10fps is great performance. Others think that just because their fps hits 30+ every 15-20 seconds, for just a millisecond that that is where you measure your performance...the highest number achieved. It's my understanding that you can trade performance profiles in FSX. When I figure out how it's done I'm going to have to ask some people for their profiles and give them mine to get benchmarks. Simon...breathe in thru nose and out of mouth. :wink:

The fact you can store and load profiles is one thing I have not seen mentioned but it is a great feature.

Hi Simmers

Please see for yourself below,about 20 FPS. 8)

so is this good in ur opinion or not??

cause on those pics i dont see much that should cause such a bad framerate...

Hi Burt

I get very good performance on FS9 and same on FSX.

The bus (electrical channel for transferring data between parts of a computer)speed on the motherboard is 800 Mhz which is a important factor.

Auf Wiedersehen

David