PFPX and TOPCAT integration

Hello, a few questions on the subject:

1) Can I install PFPX and TOPCAT on 2 different (client) computers and still have them work together?

2) If so can I install and activate PFPX on a different PC? Do I need to somehow deactivate/uninstall PFPX on the current PC?

Thanks,

PFPX can be installed on two different computers, as long as those are yours (and yes, we got the possibility to check this ;)). No idea on TOPCAT.

PFPX can be installed on two different computers, as long as those are yours (and yes, we got the possibility to check this ;)). No idea on TOPCAT.

So #1 question still remains:

1) Can I install PFPX and TOPCAT on 2 different (client) computers and still have them work together?

Thanks,

From the license agreement for Topcat:

You may install and use the Software Product on one computer, device, workstation, terminal or other digital electronic or analog device ("Device").

While PFPX and Topcat can be installed on multiple or different computers, in order for PFPX to launch Topcat for the integrated Takeoff and Landing data, Topcat must be installed on the same machine as PFPX. PFPX launches Topcat internally so has to be on same machine.

This question has been asked before - also by me :glare_s: Why the developers have not found it interesting to allow TOPCAT and PFPX to work together on two seperate maschines, has not been answered. I find that the segregation of the 2 programs is natural, as PFPX is a tool for the dispatcher, while TOPCAT is a tool for the pilot - you can see this on many cockpit videoes, where pilots input the data needed for the T/O calculations on a laptop. I can only hope that some day ..., but as of now the developers are busy in other fields, which I must accept.

Torben

• 3 weeks later...

Torben, I believe that a program like TOPCAT is often a Dispatcher tool. The pilots upload via FMS/datalink their final weights to the dispatcher and then get an ACARS msg back with their flaps/reductions/Vspeeds. A few airlines may have this data available via a tablet program so that ACARS isn't involved and the pilots just handle it on their own.

I can only tell what I've seen on dvds/youtube etc. Amongst those I've seen SAS and Norwegian use a laptop in the cockpit for these calculation. Only dvd I've seen where the takeoff performance is calculated by dispatch is Air Austral. So it can be a dispatcher tool, but it can also be a pilot's tool. But how hard can it be to send via a network to TOPCAT, rather than direct from PFPX to Topcat? In my mind its relatively easy to change, but it a matter of priority. Only PFPX developers can tell if/when they wish to make it a possibility. So no reason to discuss it further. But it can't hurt to make a reminder to them of the wish some of us have :-)

Torben

Archived