Should I move to P3D?

Virgin America Captain

I've been having so many problems with fsx and it hasn't been running at all recently. Do you thing that it would be practical to move to P3D? I'm unsure about the functionality of P3D vs fsx since there aren't many videos on youtube and the website is vague to say the least. Also, how does the licence system work? Would I buy a academic licence? Thanks for your answers!

I've been having so many problems with fsx and it hasn't been running at all recently. Do you thing that it would be practical to move to P3D? I'm unsure about the functionality of P3D vs fsx since there aren't many videos on youtube and the website is vague to say the least. Also, how does the licence system work? Would I buy a academic licence? Thanks for your answers!

My HomeAirport is available for fsx, fs9 © 2012, fs9 © 2004 - in the GA3 fs9 CD package,

and for Lockheed's prepar3d and for xplaneX, so I don't have a problem with platforms.

I've chosen fsx because I am a Boeing Fan. And I am a Boeing Fan because in 1978 the biggest Intercontinental a/c has been manufactured by... Boeing.

Thus, for IFR flights today I fly the combination of pmdg B744 fsx, MegaAirport EDDL fsx, and Ultimate Terrain Europe fsx.

And I am very happy with that decision. Imho, your HomeAirport is most important for your decision.

EDDL is near the rivers Ruhr and Rhine, so in fsx, you are even able to use the C185F Skywagon (by Carenado).

This is why I love fsx, between the brandnew pmdg B772 fsx and Orbx, it offers nearly everything that a 35 year old flight simulation enthusiast loves.

:wub:

I am looking at alternatives myself, p3d seems a logical choice apart from the fact they don't have the entertainment license so BAV will not allow it for logged flights. X-plane is another option but developers seem slow to get on board, so really tricky decision.

Sent from my HTC One using Tapatalk

• Deputy Sheriffs

I wanted to switch but so many add ons don't work one of which is PMDG so switching depends on what you want or don't want. For me it might be an option in the future but for now sticking with FSX is the best option. Fresh install always does the trick for me :)

• 4 weeks later...

Guys PMDG has announced their intent to release their aircraft for p3d v2 in the first quarter of 2014! No more fatal errors for me!!!  :dancing_s:

I would strongly suggest you do some reading on the forums, don't think p3d v2 is the big savior that everyone thought it would be

Sent from my HTC One using Tapatalk

I'll be sticking with FSX for the time being.

Never tried p3d as my setup is rock solid. Cant remember the last oom, ctd, performance issue, or whatever.

Things may change in the future and I may consider but for now, im a happy FSX user.

I am one of the last guys around who switched from FS9 to FSX. It was just half a year ago.

I am still discovering and taming FSX (being stable now), not to mention the money I again had to spend on some FSX-only addons.

So there is no way for me to start all over again in the nearest future! :wacko:

That's why I am with Jerdoo and Chris in the camp passing P3D for some time to come.

PS If all, or most, crucial addons are sold as two in one (FSX with a P3D2 version included in the price), and it is only the question of paying for the LM license, I may try one day.

I also switched to FSX rather late... - I am no longer interested in experimenting, configuring and tweaking very much... - I just want to enjoy flying and that's what FSX delivers, well, mostly.
I must admit that I still think back to the good old days of the FS2004 where most of the small German airfields were available in pretty good quality. There are still vast white spots on the FSX map even though some pretty good freeware programmers are now slowly filling the gaps...

I am a General Aviation freak and love the "old" Pipers, Mooneys and Beech Aircraft and I love airfield hopping!
I do not believe that the company behind P3D will put a lot of effort in to support GA flying and even less efforts to support small airfields. Maybe some third parties but even there is the focus more on the big birds than on aircraft for private pilots.
So, why should I switch to P3D???

Cruiser,

I have to strongly disagree. P3D caters more to GA flying more than any other. Ever heard of RedBird simulators? Almost every flight school has one. RedBird uses P3D. If you like GA flying, all of Carenado's aircraft work in v2.0. In fact, one of the default P3Dv2 aircraft is the Carenado A36.

The A2A C172, RealAir Lancair, RealAir Duke (piston and turbine), MilViz C310 and B55 Baron all work in v2.

So, there is actually more GA opportunities with P3D than any other flying. It sounds to me P3D is right in your wheelhouse.

I never used FSX. Went direct from FS9 to P3D a year ago and never regretted my decision. And I love v2.0 even more.

Todd

Archived