Airbus X Systems Realism

So, I just purchased the PMDG 737NGX and it is awesome far beyond words, but anyway, I can't help but compare the realism with the Airbus X Extended which I also have. I only came up with two small things, and that is that to start the engines in the PMDG, you have to shut off the air conditioning packs first to provide the air pressure necessary to start the engines. I have noticed this in real life too. Does this requirement exist on the A318/19/20/21, and if so, do you guys plan on adding this? The last thing I noticed is that in the PMDG, the engines are very slow to respond and when they do, it only requires about 30% N1 to get her moving. Is this the same on real A320s and if so, do you plan on correcting it?

Good Question for a real Airbus Pilot.. Any Real Airbus Pilots out there that can answer this persons question.. I usually go ahead & turn the packs off anyway on my Airbus X Extended..

Hi,

At real life isn't mandatory turn off packs to start engines, as option you can put off one pack, then when you're ready for departure, turn another pack off. But isn't mandatory turn packs off to start engines, as far I know.

As far as I know, no need to turn off the packs to start an Airbus engine. Again, if I am right, it is covered by the automatic start sequence of the A320.
I could be wrong of course, as I'm not an Airbus pilot.

When you switch "IGN" to "START" the packs should be turned off automatically... you can hear the sound of air conditioning disappear in the AAX

I'm not sure however

PACKS on the real A320 turn off automatically during engine start when engine mode selector is moved to START position.

So the Aerosoft A320/321 simulation is realistic...........

Manish

So, I just purchased the PMDG 737NGX and it is awesome far beyond words, but anyway, I can't help but compare the realism with the Airbus X Extended which I also have. I only came up with two small things, and that is that to start the engines in the PMDG, you have to shut off the air conditioning packs first to provide the air pressure necessary to start the engines. I have noticed this in real life too. Does this requirement exist on the A318/19/20/21, and if so, do you guys plan on adding this? The last thing I noticed is that in the PMDG, the engines are very slow to respond and when they do, it only requires about 30% N1 to get her moving. Is this the same on real A320s and if so, do you plan on correcting it?

Regarding the first question: No, it is not necessary in an (real life) Airbus to turn of the packs because they do automaticlly when the Engine Start Selector is turned to the IGN/START position.

That's part of the Airbus automation system which wants you to touch as less knobs as possible. So as long as the systems operate in automatic mode no need to turn them off manually.

Regarding your second question: We had this discussion quite a few times already, so please first of all search through the forums.

I (personally) agree on the thought that the engines react quite fast on our Airbus, but the developer says that this best what can be adchieved using FSXs default engine systems (though a little tweaked). I trust him when saying this.

I will talk to a real world A320 pilot though to ask him for his opinion regarding the behaviour compared to the real world engines. But if we really got the maximum possible out of it already I don't think we can/will change it even if there would be flaws in it.

Regarding the first question: No, it is not necessary in an (real life) Airbus to turn of the packs because they do automaticlly when the Engine Start Selector is turned to the IGN/START position.

That's part of the Airbus automation system which wants you to touch as less knobs as possible. So as long as the systems operate in automatic mode no need to turn them off manually.

Regarding your second question: We had this discussion quite a few times already, so please first of all search through the forums.

I (personally) agree on the thought that the engines react quite fast on our Airbus, but the developer says that this best what can be adchieved using FSXs default engine systems (though a little tweaked). I trust him when saying this.

I will talk to a real world A320 pilot though to ask him for his opinion regarding the behaviour compared to the real world engines. But if we really got the maximum possible out of it already I don't think we can/will change it even if there would be flaws in it.

Thanks very much for clearing this up!

Emi's given you the correct explanation, in normal operation everything is taken care by the auto-start switch.

Regarding the second question about the behaviour of jet engines, they need some time to spool up, a rule of thumb is that there's a lapse of 4/5 seconds to get the response from a high bybass engine, whereas a propeller has an almost immediate responese, then there's an FSX glitch where the ground friction values are totally incorrect so you have to mantain a 27-30% trhust to taxi, while in the real plane you spool a bit at the start of your taxi to get it moving and then it's idle thrust. There's a thread on avsim forums where Joshua posted a file which would eventually solve that problem: http://forum.avsim.net/topic/392772-inherent-flaw-of-fsx-to-give-too-much-ground-friction/

Hi,

At real life isn't mandatory turn off packs to start engines, as option you can put off one pack, then when you're ready for departure, turn another pack off. But isn't mandatory turn packs off to start engines, as far I know.

"Packs 1+2 off" has nothing to do with normal engine start up operations, it's something that one could do in order to get some more power on takeoff ;)

Kindly

A.

Add this line to your fsuipc4 cfg file for the ground friction patch: PatchSIM1friction=Yes

I use it and love it, the bus even starts rolling in idle.

Archived