Best way to disarm autothrottle in short final

Airbus339

Hello,

I don't know if someone's experiencing this, but every time I disconnect A/THR (for example in short final) thrust goes at about 70/75% N1 and this causes a sudden acceleration.

Don't know if this happens also by disconnecting A/THR by putting throttle to idle.. What is the best way to disconnect A/THR in final? And can you check my first problem?

Thanks in advance

How do you remove the Autothrottle in your first case?

Do you just leave the thrustlevers in the CL detent and then just disengage the ATHR by clicking on the switch?

In case you do this you would command the thrust from the engines.

I would advise you to put the thrustlevers to the position of the current applied thrust and then disengage the ATHR. This way you will have no change in thrust when disconnecting.

How do you remove the Autothrottle in your first case?

Do you just leave the thrustlevers in the CL detent and then just disengage the ATHR by clicking on the switch?

In case you do this you would command the thrust from the engines.

I would advise you to put the thrustlevers to the position of the current applied thrust and then disengage the ATHR. This way you will have no change in thrust when disconnecting.

I think I sometimes forgot to put throttles back from CL detent.. will try next time and see what happens

Is it correct that in RW operation, A/T should not be engaged manually since it will disengage automatically by cutting it to idle during flare, unlike the A/P it should be disengaged when not having Autoland

To my knowledge (whatever that implies ...):

There's a RETARD MODE in rw which brings the thrust down to idle automatically, when the A/P is active in LAND mode.

With the A/P disconnected, thrust must be reduced to idle manually, i.e. by the PF.

In any way it is advised for the pilot to set thrust levers to idle manually. In rw the A/T remains active after landing but, when A/T is disconnected manually after landing, and thrust levers are still above idle, bad things are going to happen ...

Is it correct that in RW operation, A/T should not be engaged manually since it will disengage automatically by cutting it to idle during flare, unlike the A/P it should be disengaged when not having Autoland

Not correct.

IRL you can choose between AP & A/THR or only A/THR for the approach. In many airlines it's SOP to decide latest at 1000ft AGL if you want to use A/THR for the approach.

Archived