DEX - Wonderful, yet not perfect

I've just completed my first flight along the coast of Mecklenburg-Vorpommern (Rostock, Darss). I must say, I am impressed although there is still a lot of room for improvement.

The texture are nice, close to OrbX standard, wonderful fresh colours (during summer at least, haven't flown during winter season yet). The autogen from OSM significantly improves such a scenery, and did a good job here as well. There are areas where one can see that OSM simply was empty there. A good example is Warnemuende, which really isn't there anymore, just it's red church. No cruise terminal, harbour, houses, nothing (see attached image for comparison). This area would make a hell of a good scenery and I hope this will be significantly improved. Further along the coast, it was obvious that the osm data has been checked if it works with the vector coastlines since many trees and houses stand on the beach. Even further north, towards Prerow and the 'Darsser Ort', the famous lighthouse was missing unfortunately (quite a POI in this area).

Since DEX is based on OSM data, and will hopefully be updated regularly, I hope the issues with missing places and poi's will solve themselves, and the developers cannot be blamed at all. OSM is a great new way for FSX and we might all just now start to place buildings in order to have DEX be up-to-date. :)

The airports look good and are a huge improvement over standard. :) I'll keep you guys posted.

Cheers

post-71324-0-45023200-1360268401_thumb.j

Archived