Tweaking Mega Helsinki

BrzI

I have applied the patch. Performance is much better but I still get OOMs..Like most other people on this forum, I only have issues with this airport...Orbx YBBN is smooth sailing compared to EFHK.

I have played with these settings :

[bufferPools]

//RejectThreshold=131072 //Bojote default

UsePools=0 //recommended for EFHK by aerosoft - best performance at expense of occasional artifacts

//FIBER_FRAME_TIME_FRACTION=0.33 //Bojote default

FIBER_FRAME_TIME_FRACTION=0.15 //tried 0.10 and 0.20 too...no joy

TEXTURE_MAX_LOAD=4096 //even though I tried 1024 I still got OOM. Need to keep it at 4096 anyway. GPU-z still reports 970 MBplus memory usage and subsequent OOM.

//TEXTURE_BANDWIDTH_MULT=40 //Bojote default

//TEXTURE_BANDWIDTH_MULT=80 //Orbx recommend for 1GB and over GPUs

TEXTURE_BANDWIDTH_MULT=40

//TextureMaxLoad=12 //Bojote default

//TextureMaxLoad=30 //Recommended tweak for YBBN FPS

TextureMaxLoad=12

None of these tweaks really eliminate the occurence of OOM messages. I have a 1 GB ATI GPU that serves me very well elsewhere.

Oh yes, have an external FPS limiter (set to 30 FPS).

Just so I can say I tried. But still no joy.

Thanks.

Sure hope the developers come up with something because it's kind of wasted money at the moment.

Exactly!! So far I am very saddened by the FPS of this scenario.

Very heavy. Hopefully soon appear upgrades for improvement.

This is the only scenery I have ever purchased that I cannot use - ( in my 10 years or so of simming). I have never even seen the OOM message - did not even know what it looked like.

FPS is good...but OOM is only a matter of time.

Aerosoft's name is on it. If it can be fixed it will be....( I am 99% sure of that).

Give them time..I am sure they have a "high priority" stamp on it.

Off to Brisbane :-)

This is the only scenery I have ever purchased that I cannot use - ( in my 10 years or so of simming). I have never even seen the OOM message - did not even know what it looked like.

FPS is good...but OOM is only a matter of time.

Aerosoft's name is on it. If it can be fixed it will be....( I am 99% sure of that).

Give them time..I am sure they have a "high priority" stamp on it.

Off to Brisbane :-)

I.m almost sure they'll be working on it.

FWIW, I had OOM also flying the NGX (haven't tried any other airplanes with EFHK). I switched down to 1024 on the NGX manager (for the VC) and re-installed the liveries - that cured all OOM. Flew from ESSA to EFHK with overcast all the way, and did multiple T&G in EFHK - smooth.

And that's with my specs mind you - it seemed that turning down the NGX a bit cured it... Could be a workaround to keep you flying untill Aerosoft comes up with another solution...

Mas

If you have FSPS for FSX try this :

Delete fsx.cfg.

Run FSX and have it recreate fsx.cfg.

Run FSPS and have it calculate best settinsg for VFR (yes - VFR)

Run FSX in Windowed mode.

Worked for me. With ALL options turned ON.

You can improve FPS dramatically by adding the [bufferPools] section but in my case it brought the OOM issue right back.

My next test is to run it with an external FPS limiter and WITHOUT the [bufferPools] section recommeded at the top of the forum listing.

Asus EAH6870 1 GB GPU.

Looking forward to second patch.

Yeah, I'm not altering how I run the other hundreds of dollars of add ons successfully to accommodate one airport. I appreciate your efforts in testing though, I'm just going to hope the developer fixes their scenery so that it performs like all my others.

Sadly this experience, combined with the issue I have at Corfu, has scared me off from buying additional Aerosoft scenery at the moment. Two purchases as of late, and two problems, on of which rendering the scenery unusable entirely.

Sadly this experience, combined with the issue I have at Corfu, has scared me off from buying additional Aerosoft scenery at the moment. Two purchases as of late, and two problems, on of which rendering the scenery unusable entirely.

Well, there is one thing you should understand first. Both of the sceneries you mentioned, Corfu and Helsinki, were NOT developed by Aerosoft, only published. The developer for Corfu is LiVEinFSX, and the developer for Helsinki is A-Flight. Two sceneries from two separate developers who's only commonality is that their products are published and sold by Aerosoft.

I think a lot of people here and elsewhere are missing this very important fact. You should always know where your products come from, whether it be a car, head of lettuce, or a flight simulation product.

Yeah, I'm not altering how I run the other hundreds of dollars of add ons successfully to accommodate one airport. I appreciate your efforts in testing though, I'm just going to hope the developer fixes their scenery so that it performs like all my others.

I agree. Same here. Will wait for fix.

Well, there is one thing you should understand first. Both of the sceneries you mentioned, Corfu and Helsinki, were NOT developed by Aerosoft, only published. The developer for Corfu is LiVEinFSX, and the developer for Helsinki is A-Flight. Two sceneries from two separate developers who's only commonality is that their products are published and sold by Aerosoft.

I think a lot of people here and elsewhere are missing this very important fact. You should always know where your products come from, whether it be a car, head of lettuce, or a flight simulation product.

Agreed, although when I have a problem with my car, I go back to the dealer I bought it from for service. I don't drive to the manufacturer and expect them to help me. These products are sold by Aerosoft and Aerosoft hosts their support forums, and therefor the outcome reflects on Aerosoft as a company. As such, other items sold by Aerosoft are at least in part subject to the same impressions left by their previous sales. I still feel like my previous statement stands. Mykonos looks like it has promise, but right now I'm not confident that if I have problems with it they would be able to resolve it. In time that may change, but right now it's a bit disconcerting.

Agreed, although when I have a problem with my car, I go back to the dealer I bought it from for service. I don't drive to the manufacturer and expect them to help me. These products are sold by Aerosoft and Aerosoft hosts their support forums, and therefor the outcome reflects on Aerosoft as a company. As such, other items sold by Aerosoft are at least in part subject to the same impressions left by their previous sales. I still feel like my previous statement stands. Mykonos looks like it has promise, but right now I'm not confident that if I have problems with it they would be able to resolve it. In time that may change, but right now it's a bit disconcerting.

Absolutely, I understand. I'm not saying you were wrong in what you said or how you feel about it, just pointing out that there's a difference. It's obvious you know that already, but a surprising amount do not. By the looks of it though it seems the original developers and Aerosoft are on it though in regards to Helsinki. As for your Corfu issue, I can't add much, and especially since this is not the proper place, but it seems absolutely to be an afcad exclusion issue somewhere, and the only advice I can give is do a full computer search for anything with 'LGKR' in it. Hopefully both these issues get solved for you.

Here is something else that worked for me :

I have 5 different sets of display config files that I can load.

A long time ago there was a post on Aerosoft that suggested some optimal settings. So I created a settings file (called it "Aerosoft recommended"). This is what is in it :

[GRAPHICS]

TEXTURE_MAX_LOAD=1024

NUM_LIGHTS=5

AIRCRAFT_SHADOWS=0

AIRCRAFT_REFLECTIONS=1

COCKPIT_HIGH_LOD=1

LANDING_LIGHTS=1

AC_SELF_SHADOW=0

EFFECTS_QUALITY=2

GROUND_SHADOWS=0

[sCENERY]

LENSFLARE=0

DAWN_DUSK_SMOOTHING=1

IMAGE_COMPLEXITY=5

[DISPLAY]

BLOOM_EFFECTS=0

SKINNED_ANIMATIONS=1

TEXTURE_BANDWIDTH_MULT=40

UPPER_FRAMERATE_LIMIT=0

[PANELS]

QUICKTIPS=1

PANEL_OPACITY=100

[TERRAIN]

LOD_RADIUS=3.500000

MESH_COMPLEXITY=50

MESH_RESOLUTION=21

TEXTURE_RESOLUTION=26

AUTOGEN_DENSITY=1

DETAIL_TEXTURE=1

WATER_EFFECTS=2

[WEATHER]

CLOUD_DRAW_DISTANCE=3

DETAILED_CLOUDS=1

CLOUD_COVERAGE_DENSITY=8

THERMAL_VISUALS=0

DownloadWindsAloft=0

DisableTurbulence=0

[TrafficManager]

AirlineDensity=100

GADensity=100

FreewayDensity=10

ShipsAndFerriesDensity=15

LeisureBoatsDensity=10

IFROnly=0

AIRPORT_SCENERY_DENSITY=3

Loaded this before I started a flight. Have all options turned on at EGHK. 100% UT2 traffic. In fair weather and 11 AM had no problems.

Next time I will load my settings file caalled "Orbx PNW". This is what is in it :

[GRAPHICS]

TEXTURE_MAX_LOAD=4096

NUM_LIGHTS=5

AIRCRAFT_SHADOWS=1

AIRCRAFT_REFLECTIONS=1

COCKPIT_HIGH_LOD=1

LANDING_LIGHTS=1

AC_SELF_SHADOW=0

EFFECTS_QUALITY=2

GROUND_SHADOWS=0

[sCENERY]

LENSFLARE=0

DAWN_DUSK_SMOOTHING=1

IMAGE_COMPLEXITY=5

[DISPLAY]

BLOOM_EFFECTS=0

SKINNED_ANIMATIONS=1

TEXTURE_BANDWIDTH_MULT=60

UPPER_FRAMERATE_LIMIT=0

[PANELS]

QUICKTIPS=1

PANEL_OPACITY=100

[TERRAIN]

LOD_RADIUS=4.500000

MESH_COMPLEXITY=100

MESH_RESOLUTION=24

TEXTURE_RESOLUTION=29

AUTOGEN_DENSITY=3

DETAIL_TEXTURE=1

WATER_EFFECTS=4

[WEATHER]

CLOUD_DRAW_DISTANCE=3

DETAILED_CLOUDS=1

CLOUD_COVERAGE_DENSITY=8

THERMAL_VISUALS=0

DownloadWindsAloft=0

DisableTurbulence=0

[TrafficManager]

AirlineDensity=100

GADensity=100

FreewayDensity=10

ShipsAndFerriesDensity=15

LeisureBoatsDensity=10

IFROnly=0

AIRPORT_SCENERY_DENSITY=0

This is an acceptable compromise. I do not have to go full screen. When I am not around EFHK I simply load my preferred setup.

Hope this helps someone.

Thanks for reading

Final tweak.

I changed only the autogen settings

from

AUTOGEN_DENSITY=3 (dense)

to

AUTOGEN_DENSITY=1 (sparse)

The rest of my fsx.cfg file remains untouched for other add-ons. No windowed mode required. Easy to change to-and-fro while in-game.

Hope this helps someone.

Thanks for reading

Archived