Is It Time?

PaulJones

Hi guys,

You know l`m thinking of moving over to Xplane to see what its really like.

Now with all the sims around, do you think its time to stick with one dedicated sim.

If everyone including all companys move to one sim we can get a better chance for a better future.

l find, fs2004 is gone, fsx still great but performance isnt the best, prepare 3d not a chance not meant for us,

X-plane maybe its the new future.

Just my thought.

Thanks

Regards

Paul

I don't agree with you. You say Prepar3D isn't meant for you, but that's not true. With their current new price model they're very competitive and I see a growing market here. Indeed, when it was first released it was far too expensive, but that has changed.

I once tried X-plane and I didn't like it, it was too strange compared to FSX. So for the moment I stay with FSX and for the future I'm seriously thinking about Prepar3D.

First I thought about switching to XP10, but now and after LM changed the price and I will change to P3D. First of all, there are plenty of addons for P3D and there are little for Xp10.

Why?

"only for purposes other than personal/consumer entertainment"

http://www.prepar3d....agreement-eula/

Now it depends on how you interpret the EULA. ;)

There's a topic here about this:

http://forum.aerosof...a-little-to-me/

Now, "Is it time ?": I do not think that "one dedicated sim" is the right way to go. Why not diversity ? Why not several flight simulators ? I'm using X-Plane 10, and I enjoy it as my favorite simulator since the release of X-Plane 9, although I was using FS2004 with many high quality add-ons, and although I was using Flight Simulator since version 2. But it's nice to see that products like FlightGear, Fly! Legacy, Prepar3D or Aerofly FS are also available and always improving.

The time has come to test yourself several simulators (when a free demo is available), to take the time to learn to use the configuration menus and settings, and to learn how to install add-ons. It should be part of the fun. Then you can decide what's your favorite simulator. Don't wait for editors to tell you what you have to use.

Happy flying. B)

• Deputy Sheriffs

"only for purposes other than personal/consumer entertainment"

http://www.prepar3d....agreement-eula/

Now it depends on how you interpret the EULA. ;)

and that's the reason why LM is now offering an Academic Licence ;) ;)

And this "academic licence" is totally different to e.g. Adobe's or Microsoft's T&Cs, where you need a proof of entitlement to get those licences.

and that's the reason why LM is now offering an Academic Licence ;) ;)

And this "academic licence" is totally different to e.g. Adobe's or Microsoft's T&Cs, where you need a proof of entitlement to get those licences.

What can we compare to "academic licence"? is it like a "normal" version like FSX?

Why should PMDG say no to P3D?? it's almost the same as FSX, only better and more stable.

They said no to P3D for legal reasons. Read the 04FEB12 SP1c update. That was however before LM announced the P3D academic license.

• Deputy Sheriffs

They said no to P3D for legal reasons. Read the 04FEB12 SP1c update. That was however before LM announced the P3D academic license.

That's still the best place to look for their reasons. It appears to me this is all carefully considered.

Succinctly, PMDG's license with Boeing (in the case of the NGX at least) requires the product not be used for commercial purposes, including "training" and demos. So, recreational only. Until the P3D academic license came out, P3D required you to be a commercial user or developing training. That is, not recreational. Ergo, the conflict.

Now of course that's for those of us that comply with the EULA, but PMDG certainly couldn't ignore the obvious conflict. It remains to be seen what they do with this new wrinkle, but you have to wonder how they'll be able to keep it only on the academic version if they port it over.

By the way, I haven't seen it noted so far in this thread, but on the academic version, your "cost" for P3D at $50 total is a small watermark in one corner of your screen while running it. I'd like to see what users of this version think of how much it affects their visual enjoyment.

• Deputy Sheriffs

By the way, I haven't seen it noted so far in this thread, but on the academic version, your "cost" for P3D at $50 total is a small watermark in one corner of your screen while running it. I'd like to see what users of this version think of how much it affects their visual enjoyment.

The watermark appears in the menubar of P3D and seems to go away when hiding the menubar. On a Avsim forum is a screenshot (you have to log in).

• Upvote 1

Has someone actually tried that? Because a lot of people say that it doesn't go away when hiding the menu bar.

Personally, I wouldn't bother with the watermark. But I would bother with not being able to fly the upcoming PMDG aircraft.

• Deputy Sheriffs

The watermark appears in the menubar of P3D and seems to go away when hiding the menubar. On a Avsim forum is a screenshot (you have to log in).

Thanks for the link. I see further down that it may not go away once the menu bar is hidden, but at least now I know what it looks like.

• Deputy Sheriffs

I'm little confuse here, so now that LM have released a academic licence. Will PMDG then consider doing P3D?

Boeing, PMDG and LM lawyers ultimately decide what can be done. In my opinion, PMDG highly values their relationship with Boeing and won't waste development effort unless the legal bariers come down.

There's every reason to believe they're well aware of the questions raised by the new license and will have a statement when they're ready. The NGX support website on AvSim (registration required) is hands down the place to watch on this issue. It's even better supported than their corporate site. For example, the link on AvSim is still the only place to find SP1c for the NGX. SP1b only is on the corporate site. You'll find informed speculation (like mine ;) ) here, but the real facts from PMDG in the AvSim forum.

• Upvote 1

Boeing, PMDG and LM lawyers ultimately decide what can be done. In my opinion, PMDG highly values their relationship with Boeing and won't waste development effort unless the legal bariers come down.

There's every reason to believe they're well aware of the questions raised by the new license and will have a statement when they're ready. The NGX support website on AvSim (registration required) is hands down the place to watch on this issue. It's even better supported than their corporate site. For example, the link on AvSim is still the only place to find SP1c for the NGX. SP1b only is on the corporate site. You'll find informed speculation (like mine ;) ) here, but the real facts from PMDG in the AvSim forum.

Thanks Herman, we have to wait and see.

Has someone actually tried that? Because a lot of people say that it doesn't go away when hiding the menu bar.

Personally, I wouldn't bother with the watermark. But I would bother with not being able to fly the upcoming PMDG aircraft.

The watermark didn´t disappear with the menu-bar.

With menu-bar (see right above corner of the picture)

post-66-0-59083200-1334001558_thumb.jpg

Without the menu-bar

post-66-0-22941400-1334001599_thumb.jpg

• Upvote 1

• Deputy Sheriffs

The watermark didn´t disappear with the menu-bar.

With menu-bar (see right above corner of the picture)

post-66-0-59083200-1334001558_thumb.jpg

Without the menu-bar

post-66-0-22941400-1334001599_thumb.jpg

Thanks for the two shots. That shows the tradeoff pretty well for going with the academic license. It's easily the most cost effective, but even at $50 US, I'll wait until there's a way to use many more of my add-ons.

• 1 month later...

I bought both X-Plane 10 and Flight Sim X at the same time. To be honest, X-Plane is an inferior product despite being a) more expensive and B) technically superior.

X-Plane has a lot of poor aircraft bundled with it, most of them being unusable except for novelty value. I was really looking forward to the B52 until I found out it had no virtual cockpit only a grotty generic static 2d view. Many of the other aircraft are equally weak - some worse. The included planes are only there as teasers for you to buy something more suitable. Except, of course, the current range of planes available is pitifully small and expensive to boot.

The front-end of X-Plane is non-existent and the overall GUI is one of the least intuitive I've ever used. Also, it looks surprisingly ugly compared to Flight Sim X despite the boasts of improved graphics. I was genuinely shocked at how poor much of the scenery is.

I was surprised. I honestly thought that Flight SIm X would be the weaker of the two but I was wrong. X-Plane even requres you to keep the CD in the drive at all times, a DRM solution that is ineffective and punishes genuine purchasers while providing no downside to pirates.

Flight Sim X is polished and well-supported. In time X-Plane may improve, but as it stands its a turkey, and a grotty, thin-necked old bird at that.

I once tried X-plane and I didn't like it, it was too strange compared to FSX. So for the moment I stay with FSX and for the future I'm seriously thinking about Prepar3D.

I fully agree with you!

• Aerosoft

I was genuinely shocked at how poor much of the scenery is.

Are you sure you compare default X-Plane 10 to default FSX? I mean I seriously can not find any place on the world that is not one of the included airports of FSX where X-Plane does not look a lot better. My home village in FSX does not even exist, in X-Plane it has all the roads and a lot of houses. Now the houses might not be perfect, not will the roads be 100% accurate, but it's a lot better then nothing at all!

These are images from a forum user, default scenery, Germany. FSX does not look like that. It does with a few hundred Euro's for add-ons, but not default.

post-43-0-08012500-1337615822_thumb.jpg

post-43-0-69217900-1337615824_thumb.jpg

post-43-0-97023300-1337615826_thumb.jpg

post-43-0-63378200-1337615829_thumb.jpg

• Upvote 1

I've tried X-plane 8, 9 and 10... (8 and 9 when they were on sale) and, apart from nice terrain graphics I haven't found anything worth the money in this sim.

Ok, the real-time-calculations blah, blah, blah... this is not really THAT important for me if the rest fails.

Why?

Well... as much as they try (and boast) , it is very difficult they are able to transmit to the user the real feeling of flying an airplane, so... I think it'd be better if they gave us a just reasonably good flight feeling and they dedicated more time to provide us with good communications, aircraft systems, a user friendly GUI... (or just a GUI human beings not mac lovers are able to undertand) :P

And perhaps later with an almost-perfect-real-time-calculations-flight-envelope. But not the other way around.

This is just what I think important. I'm pretty sure there are many people who don't think the same.

So, don't hate me but... right now, not X-Plane for me. Not even as a birthday present.