HUEY X lighting issues & other small things

Hueyrob

Hey all...

After a lot of testing I found out some issues that might be corrected.

First of all regards the lighting:

When turning on the anticollision lights, only the upper strobe works. The model misses the lower strobe. Those two red strobes should flash in turns. (upper-lower-upper-lower-upper-lower and so on)

Next thing regards the position lights. The arrangement is correct but: the white position lights must neither flash!

The model also misses the white position light located on the belly. In my oppinion it'd be a great thing if the white position light could be operated seperately since they are seldom used during night flying.

Another thing mentioned before is that the search light is not visible in the exterior view.

Operating:

More operating CBs (circuit breakers) would be perfect. Now I'm not a programmer and I don't know how such things could be realised. But it would add much more deepness into the whole system.

The Master Caution reset switch does not operate. That means once an issue on the caution panel is corrected, the master caution light in the instrument panel won't turn off and stays on for the rest of the flight.

The cockpit misses the Radar Altitude Remote Indicator located on the glareshield in front of the pilots. A working indicator would be a nice addition!

A working LDNS/ HSI would also be admireable!

Sound:

After all the sound during normal operation is quite perfect. Somehow the bladeslapping sound misses but that has been discussed allready. BUT: I'm kinda dissapointed of the starting sound. No whining, no starter generator noise and a silent ignitor box. That should have been implemented! Same with the shut-off sound...

In my opinion the ambient sound in the cockpit after switching on battery and inverters sorta lacks! Turn them on in a Huey und you'll hear all the gyros running up. It'd add a great feeling of beeing in a realistic environment if such sounds were present.

In summon I really enjoy flying around in the HUEY in VFR conditions, especially loving the awesome ORBX sceneries.

You did a great job on the helo!

Cheers,

ROB

• Upvote 1

I won´t comment on the lights, since I´m not sure about those.

Regarding the CB's we decided to left those out wich never are touched.

Most are always in and only come out when an electrical overload or shortcircuit happnes for that particular system. Failures are not modelled.

Those we have made active are those who are turned on/off during flight procedures.

To unlit the Master Caution when a warning is sensed, Right-click the Caution "TEST / REST" switch to the left of the warninglights panel.

The Master Caution light will extinguish, but the yellow warning light in the warninglight panel will remain on.

I´m not sure about the Radar Alt remote indicator You mention. The cockpit You see is a very accurate depiction of a German Bundeswehr UH-1D.

For the startup /shutdown sounds I do agree with You. Problem is just that FSX helicopter startup options are really lacking.

Late in the developement we decided to add a much more realistic startup procedure, but fixing the sounds needs extensive and complex programming.

Thats why we didn´t do it. Also note that spoolup rate of the turbine is too fast. That is another FSX quirk.

But the difference between Our Huey and other highend helicopter addons is the pricetag.

The Huey costs 28;- Euro, wich we feel is an affordable price also for the casual virtual heli pilot, where as the addons that can be regarded as better and more realistic costs appr. 40,- Euro and really are pointed towards hardcore heli pilots.

Helicopters are really a niche within flight simulator, wich is a niche in it self.

Finn

I won´t comment on the lights, since I´m not sure about those.

Regarding the CB's we decided to left those out wich never are touched.

Most are always in and only come out when an electrical overload or shortcircuit happnes for that particular system. Failures are not modelled.

Those we have made active are those who are turned on/off during flight procedures.

To unlit the Master Caution when a warning is sensed, Right-click the Caution "TEST / REST" switch to the left of the warninglights panel.

The Master Caution light will extinguish, but the yellow warning light in the warninglight panel will remain on.

I´m not sure about the Radar Alt remote indicator You mention. The cockpit You see is a very accurate depiction of a German Bundeswehr UH-1D.

For the startup /shutdown sounds I do agree with You. Problem is just that FSX helicopter startup options are really lacking.

Late in the developement we decided to add a much more realistic startup procedure, but fixing the sounds needs extensive and complex programming.

Thats why we didn´t do it. Also note that spoolup rate of the turbine is too fast. That is another FSX quirk.

But the difference between Our Huey and other highend helicopter addons is the pricetag.

The Huey costs 28;- Euro, wich we feel is an affordable price also for the casual virtual heli pilot, where as the addons that can be regarded as better and more realistic costs appr. 40,- Euro and really are pointed towards hardcore heli pilots.

Helicopters are really a niche within flight simulator, wich is a niche in it self.

Finn

Hi Finn,

you can trust me!

Regarding both: the lights and regarding the Radar Alt remote indicators. Those are present on ALL variants of NTF cockpits. NTF stands for "NachtTiefFlug" which means "night low level flying". NTF versions represent the current basic versions of the German Army Hueys.

At this point I'm wondering myself why Joachim never asked me more about those features since I supported him on other issues regarding the German UH-1Ds. But that's a different story.

If any help is needed, fell free to ask me about!

I'll check about the Master Caution reset switch later tonight.

THX for the reply..

Cheers,

ROB

• Upvote 1

The lower strobe will be cool.

Yes the sound, i´m missing too the engine start up. I saw the soundfile is included in the Huey X, but isn´t to hear.

I don´t know if the rotor turning is manageble with the aircraft.cfg, but it will be cool too, if the engine startup-sound will be to hear.

One quest, if I use Shockwave FX lights, there is a cube at all lights (FSX running in DX9 mode). Is this a shockwave problem or a huey x?

Price/power of the Huey X is really ok :rolleyes:

• Aerosoft

One quest, if I use Shockwave FX lights, there is a cube at all lights (FSX running in DX9 mode). Is this a shockwave problem or a huey x?

We are looking at the other things you mention but the lights is something I like to comment on.

It's very much like the controls that people link to FSUIPC, it changes the base of FSX and it is just impossible for us to be compatible with all tweaked FSX versions. Currently none of us internally and none of our testers for the Huey uses the shockwave lights as they are not compatible with what we feel are better lights (lighting up objects and not just 'air'. I will see if we can install it and find out what the problem is.

If you like some more info on why we prefer the light we are using, check this: http://www.forum.aerosoft.com/index.php?showtopic=42806&view=findpost&p=286634

We are looking at the other things you mention but the lights is something I like to comment on.

It's very much like the controls that people link to FSUIPC, it changes the base of FSX and it is just impossible for us to be compatible with all tweaked FSX versions. Currently none of us internally and none of our testers for the Huey uses the shockwave lights as they are not compatible with what we feel are better lights (lighting up objects and not just 'air'. I will see if we can install it and find out what the problem is.

If you like some more info on why we prefer the light we are using, check this: http://www.forum.aer...ndpost&p=286634

Mathijs,

I don't use shockwave lights.

What I was complaining (well not even complain but just remarking) about was the missing lower strobe and white position light as well as the flashing white position lights.

Since I'm not a developer I have no clue if that was possible to implement in an update or patch. Just an idea.

I've attached a file showing the correct positions on the UH-1 model helicopters as it's also present in my book.

Cheers, ROB

post-29665-022576200 1296602387_thumb.jp

• Aerosoft

Mathijs,

I don't use shockwave lights.

What I was complaining (well not even complain but just remarking) about was the missing lower strobe and white position light as well as the flashing white position lights.

Since I'm not a developer I have no clue if that was possible to implement in an update or patch. Just an idea.

I've attached a file showing the correct positions on the UH-1 model helicopters as it's also present in my book.

Cheers, ROB

Thanks for that info. When we do an update (we for sure will do some maintenance soon) we'll check in the lights.

This is from the 1969 US Army pilot's handbook ("-10"). Note #22 and #24.

Herman, I don't get the point.

Landing- and Searchlight are very well presented on the model. There's no need in changing anything on that.

BUT: I've found another little bug: The "OFF-FLAG" in the encoding altitude indicator (the one located on the right side) does not disappear. It should diasappear with IFF CBs "in" and inverters "on".

Cheers,

ROB

post-29665-039205800 1296739525_thumb.jp

BUT: I've found another little bug: The "OFF-FLAG" in the encoding altitude indicator (the one located on the right side) does not disappear. It should diasappear with IFF CBs "in" and inverters "on".

Cheers,

ROB

Strange, just checked on a couple of my models and don't get the result you get. Will copy the beta files back into FSX and check again with those.

• Deputy Sheriffs

Herman, I don't get the point.

Cheers,

ROB

Your diagram in post #6 did not indicate which was the landing light and which was the searchlight. I added the diagram from the -10 to help clarify that for folks that might want to know.:blush:

I really love the Huey, the Flight dynamics are better than any I've seen in FSX. I would also like to ask if there is a way to put a working search light on the Huey since the landing lights don't work so good. The cyclic has the hat control for one, but doesn't really do anything. I was wondering myself about that Radar altimeter gauge and why it didn't work as all the other gauges do. And how to you get the rear doors to open? I wasn't able to find anything about them in the manual. All in all it's a really nice bird

I really love the Huey, the Flight dynamics are better than any I've seen in FSX. I would also like to ask if there is a way to put a working search light on the Huey since the landing lights don't work so good. The cyclic has the hat control for one, but doesn't really do anything. I was wondering myself about that Radar altimeter gauge and why it didn't work as all the other gauges do. And how to you get the rear doors to open? I wasn't able to find anything about them in the manual. All in all it's a really nice bird

There is a searchlight on the Huey.

It works during Dusk, Night and Dawn.

To make it funktion:

1. Ensure that You have "Advanced Animations" checke in You FSX -> Settings -> Display options.

2. Turn on the searchlight by clicking the upper left switch on the Collective (In the VC), labelled Stow-Off-On.

3. Click and hold or clcik numerous times on the upper part of the Coolie hat on the Collective (In the VC).

NOTE!

It takes a few seconds before the searchlicght is properly extended and becomes visible.

It is easier to adjust the searchlight (Don by clicking on the coolie hats Upper, Lower, Left and Right part) while sittng on the ground.

Regarding the Radar altimeter...

To turn it on, either setup the helicopter to "Ready to fly" by opening the config panel pressing Sh+2 or simply turn on the radar altimeter by holding the mouse cursor on the Radar altimeter knob and scroll up with the mouse until the yellow light comes on.

Finn

Doors :

Shift + E = Front left

Shift + E(realease and quickly press '2') Front right

Shift + E(realease and quickly press '3') Left rear side door

Shift + E(realease and quickly press '4') Right rear side door.

Or from VC look at the door and click the handle/Door

Hey all.

Just another little point to comment in hope of getting it corrected in an update.

I stumbled across the Pos.Ltg switch to find out that both (steady and flash) work! Great! I have to admit that I have not found out before. But: The sequence of the lights when flicked to flash is wrong. The sequence on the real machines is more like a bright - dim- bright - dim etc.

If desired I can post you a small movie of how it should look like.

Cheers,

ROB

Hey all.

Just another little point to comment in hope of getting it corrected in an update.

I stumbled across the Pos.Ltg switch to find out that both (steady and flash) work! Great! I have to admit that I have not found out before. But: The sequence of the lights when flicked to flash is wrong. The sequence on the real machines is more like a bright - dim- bright - dim etc.

If desired I can post you a small movie of how it should look like.

Cheers,

ROB

Hi Rob, you can change the sequence of the strobes with FlusiFix ;) If there is a chance by the pos lights I don´t know.

Doors :

Shift + E = Front left

Shift + E(realease and quickly press '2') Front right

Shift + E(realease and quickly press '3') Left rear side door

Shift + E(realease and quickly press '4') Right rear side door.

Or from VC look at the door and click the handle/Door

And the left and right small, forward side doors ??? :-)

And -by the way- I can extend and retract the landing- and the search light and i can switch on and off the landing light,

but I cannot switch on the seach light (with the on-off-stow switch).

No bulb comes on ...?

What to do ?

And the left and right small, forward side doors ??? :-)

And -by the way- I can extend and retract the landing- and the search light and i can switch on and off the landing light,

but I cannot switch on the seach light (with the on-off-stow switch).

No bulb comes on ...?

What to do ?

Thanks for the quick answer, but i meant looking in outside view towards the search light.

The landing light is on or off (depending on switch position), but the search light remains off

(no matter, in which position its switch is).

Apart from that : I had the activation problem (black view from VC and red license tags).

the update 1.10 solved the problem, thank You :-).

What was the reason ?

• 3 weeks later...

I have a question, does the Huey have white strobe lights on the upper navigation lights. I've never seen them. Is there any way, or could there be a way. Say when you click the nvg switch just the white strobes turn off but the red beacon stays on. Also I've noticed there's no red beacon on the bottom.the ways I have seen are navigation lights steady with the upper and lower beacon on and the White tail. Recognition light that stays steady, have also seen the same configuration. Only the navigation lights flashing, and never seen any flashing white lights on the Huey. But that does not mean it didn't exist. I grew up under the flight path from Fort Rucker, in a scene literally hundreds of Huey's flying around. I also used to sit and watch them do night ops in a secluded little field in which case the only lights. They had on were dim, blinking navigation lights, somebody correct me if I'm wrong. I love the scene actual manual with all the lights listed. I just never remember seeing any white strobes and if there were. There should be a way to turn just the white ones off and leave the red beacons on on regular aircraft to separate switch. If not I'll just go in the config file and remove the whites strobes.In this video i see the strobe pods but no underbelly beacon.

note the white belly light