Question of the day

• Aerosoft

I seriously like all real airline pilots to stay out of this one.

It's very very warm, 54 degrees. Why are nearly all airliners unable to take-off?

The airport is at sea level, density altitude is near the limit but still acceptable.

• Replies 67
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

• Aerosoft

Just a guess, but I would assume that the air is too thin for engines to produce enogh thrust?

Something simmilar to the physics behind Flex temperature?

No that's density altitude. Though near the limit that's still ok (the airport is at sealevel))

• Aerosoft

Because the higher the temperature is, the more an aircraft needs distance for take off (I suppose the airline company won't send an empty aircraft anywhere)?

repeat.. lol...

No that's density altitude. Though near the limit that's still ok (the airport is at sealevel))

I guess that increasing temperature also increases the humidity which leads to less lift to make the plane take off.

EDIT: Oh I see thats not the solution. Tokk me too long to answer. :blush:

• Aerosoft

BTW, it seems a lot of users are a bit confused about density altitude (the altitude the aircraft THINKS it is at). Now using our great little tool Aerosoft Flight Calculator you will be able to calculate the density altitude. Entering 54 degrees C and 0 feet altitude you will see that the aircraft thinks it is taking off from an airport not at sea level but at 4200 feet. Rather high, but still very much possible.

Wait let me reduce the price of the Aerosoft Flight Calculator from 10.80 Euro (plus VAT where needed) to 6 Euro ($10) as a special bonus until somewhere tomorrow!

post-43-126115256988_thumb.jpg

Airspeed and altitude is indicated by air pressure flowing against the pitot tubes. At a high temperature like this one, the pressure will rise and so, this will lead to wrong information for the pilots.

Why are nearly all airliners unable to take-off?

Well it looks like that some airlines are able to take off so I think it has something to do with the equippment.

Maybe the lack of correct aircraft performance charts for temperatures like that?

• Aerosoft

Airspeed and altitude is indicated by air pressure flowing against the pitot tubes. At a high temperature like this one, the pressure will rise and so, this will lead to wrong information for the pilots.

That would make flight more or less impossible in any weather, lol.